Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals & Builds (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=679)
-   -   Ksmmike 75 gallon reef build (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2657553)

ksmmike 11/08/2017 09:32 AM

Ksmmike 75 gallon reef build

Hello all,
After taking advice from people here, my LFS, and a ton of research, I'm getting close to ordering parts for a new 75 gallon build. I have a 32 gallon biocube now, which I will likely keep going as well. Here is what I'm leaning towards with the new build. Any extra advice is welcome. I tried to keep it within a certain budget, so there might be one or two things others might want me to upgrade, but I'm pretty set on what I've chosen so far. But since I haven't ordered a thing, if something seems out of place, please let me know.

Thanks
Mike

75 gallon SCAquariums tank 36/24/20 rimless

Synergy Reef Shadow overflow 16" using the bean animal plumbing

Eshopps R-100 sump

Eshopps Axium 120 protein skimmer (Since I know it fits, and has good reviews) yes, I looked at the Trigger sump and Red Octopus combo

Syncra Sicca 4 return pump (fits in the sump chamber)

Pukani dry rock, which I'll cure for 10 weeks while waiting for the tank

Natures Ocean Reef bio active sand, a mixture of white and black, I'm guessing about 40-50 pounds.

Power heads and wavemaker, TBD, any advice is welcome

Lights - Echotech Marine XR30 G4 Pro or 2-15's since I already have one 15 on my biocube that I can move over.

I still have to figure out the plumbing and how many gate valve's I will need. I will probably go with pvc pipe.

refugium light - no clue yet, any advice is a help

Ok, there you go. Any comments or help is accepted. Thanks

btw, I have tons of coral fossils that I've been picking up off the local beach after the recent storms and hurricane this past Sept. They have been bleached and sat in the sun for weeks that I'll cure with the Pukani. If anyone would like to trade for some, let me know. I have some large pieces and small pieces as well. Some look really nice. I'm not going to overload the tank with it, but a few pieces will highlight the sand around the aquascape. The beach was unfortunately littered with coral that had broken off from the reef after the storm. It was sad to see. Some fossils washed up too, though that has pretty much stopped. Only small pieces around an inch or so are still rolling in.

Annedee 12/20/2017 01:17 AM

I know this is over a month old, but you should still be curing your rocks... so I’ll chime in. I would reconsider your sand mix unless you’ve seen such a setup in person and love it. The sand I chose had just a few specs of black and I hate it! I have spent hours slowly picking them out and envy those with a clean pure colored sand bed... white or black!! Also, for the bean animal stand, you only really need one valve as it’s the main valve that regulates flow. Mines been setup for 18months and I’ve never wished I had more valves. I do however wish I had easier disconnects (unions) behind the bulkheads. I used hard pvc at the tank, and braided flex to and from the sump. It’s easier to move equipment in the sump that way, and the flex helps dampen the return pump noise. HTH fwiw