Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mantis Shrimp (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Should I be concerned about overfeeding? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2622176)

CrypticCorn 02/01/2017 05:14 PM

Should I be concerned about overfeeding?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm new to the whole thing. Is there a risk of bloating or obesity if I feed my mantis too much? He's very small, maybe 3cm. I've had him a couple weeks now and typically offer him a large thawed mysis shrimp in the morning that's almost as big as he is. He usually takes it very excitedly. Sometimes I offer him another later, which he doesn't frequently take. I'm not concerned bioload wise because I never leave uneaten food in there but should I be concerned about his health? I know he probably doesn't need to eat that much but I really want him to like me as pathetic as that sounds

Also jury's still out on what type he is, so if anyone wants to weigh in who didn't before I attached a pic https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9498b34f4f.png

Hadla 02/01/2017 10:21 PM

You should only feed once a day, I feed my chiragra once every other day

nmotz 02/02/2017 11:07 AM

No risk of overeating, but water quality may become an issue. Some mantis shrimp have been known to bury uneaten food and that will create water chemistry issues for certain. As far as your mantis "liking" you, he'll eventually warm up to the idea that you are the provider of meals. But that bond can't be short-circuited by feeding more often. Don't worry, mantis shrimp are smart and will figure out pretty soon that you are their own personal chef. Just give it some time.

For your reference, I usually feed every other day with a fairly small portion size. I usually make sure the meat is no larger than the area of my pinky fingernail. I mix that up with live food, and I always get fairly small emerald crabs. So, I feed pretty regularly, but only in small portions. If you feed large portions you might see that your mantis stays in the burrow even more because it doesn't need to forage. By feeding small portions, you might encourage more active foraging behavior.

CrypticCorn 02/02/2017 11:12 AM

Good points! I've actually been struggling to find stuff that's even small enough to give him because he's so tiny. I can't even find snails that are a small enough size. At least he seems to like the mysis for now. I'll probably switch to every other day per your recommendation, it's just hard not to get excited and want to feed him all the time!

Hadla 02/02/2017 02:23 PM

Yeah even though I give her a nice sized piece, I usually find about half outside of her burrow a few minutes later

nmotz 02/02/2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrypticCorn (Post 24940835)
Good points! I've actually been struggling to find stuff that's even small enough to give him because he's so tiny. I can't even find snails that are a small enough size. At least he seems to like the mysis for now. I'll probably switch to every other day per your recommendation, it's just hard not to get excited and want to feed him all the time!

I completely understand wanting to feed all the time, but trust me that will only increase laziness. I have a good recommendation for snails for you: reefcleaners.org. Get the Zig Zag Periwinkle snails. No matter how many you order, they'll send you like 50 of them. I had a small mantis that absolutely loved them.

BvN 02/03/2017 12:42 AM

I feed mine twice a week max and sometimes there's almost a week between the feeding times but I feed large pieces of food. I notice when he becomes hungry because it wil get out of it's burrow and look for food.
He will take the food always and indeed will store to much food for later but can feed larger pieces because of the watervolume I have.