Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   emperor angel growth rate (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1243095)

vid660 11/04/2007 01:52 AM

emperor angel growth rate

I'd like to put an emperor angel in my 75g. How long will I be able to keep it in my tank before it's too big? I can trade it out once the time comes, I'd just like to know how long it takes to grow to full size?

Thanks

Racing1 11/04/2007 02:03 AM

not long at all. A 75G tank is too small for them...

Gary Majchrzak 11/04/2007 02:03 AM

Re: emperor angel growth rate

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11113160#post11113160 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vid660
I'd like to put an emperor angel in my 75g. How long will I be able to keep it in my tank before it's too big? I can trade it out once the time comes, I'd just like to know how long it takes to grow to full size?

Thanks

how big will the fish be when you put it in your 75? :D

You might already know this, but Emperor's often develop deformities in captivity (ie: hole in the head/lateral line, truncated physical growth, incomplete color change etc.)
Sadly, it's very common to see these "pre enjoyed" Emperor's for sale at LFS's and nobody wants them.

One of the Pygmy Angelfish (Centropyge spp.) would be much better suited for a 75 gallon aquarium.

vid660 11/04/2007 02:08 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The fish I was looking at was 3-4"

I looked at the Pygmy Angelfish, but it doesn't look as appealing as the emperor.

Only reason I asked is because I've had a sailfin tang for awhile and it seems to be growing slowly. I just thought the emperor angel would also grow slowly. I don't want to get the emperor if it will grow fast.

I'll be getting a 125g soon, but was curious how soon I need to get one.

reefergeorge 11/04/2007 02:24 AM

If it is more than three inches it already is. Go with a pygmy angel and you can keep it its whole life.

vid660 11/04/2007 02:27 AM

Kinda what I thought. I was gonna buy it, but I wanted to check first.

Thanks

vid660 11/04/2007 02:47 AM

Re: Re: emperor angel growth rate

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11113172#post11113172 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
how big will the fish be when you put it in your 75? :D

You might already know this, but Emperor's often develop deformities in captivity (ie: hole in the head/lateral line, truncated physical growth, incomplete color change etc.)
Sadly, it's very common to see these "pre enjoyed" Emperor's for sale at LFS's and nobody wants them.

Actually, I didn't know that. I'll just go with the dwarf flame angel then.

Thanks!