Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   starting a new tank (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2662702)

ole85 12/28/2017 09:49 PM

starting a new tank

hi i just bought a ELOS 120 tank and about to start cycling the water i have a couple of questions

1 should i start a qt tank at the same time as i start my elos system

2 can i qt more then one fish so i can add them into the main tank together as i wanted to buy a yellow tang and purple tang and i know its better to add them together but i don't think its a good idea to put them in a qt tank together am i better off adding one then moving the live rock around and add one latter on

3 should i add one fish then qt another fish and keep doing this

4 is it better to add just clown fish for a while and see how the tank goes and then add the more expensive fish

5in which order would you put in theses fish
yellow tang
purple tang
blue tang
clown fish

my lfs is telling me to put them all in at once but know his wrong

thanks for your help

JUNBUG361 12/28/2017 11:26 PM

Hello & welcome
(1) I think you can do both at the same time qt & tank cycle or you can wait till cycle is over
(2) you can qt more than 1 fish, not sure about 3 tangs all at once
(3) it would be a good habit to qt every fish prior to adding to main tank
(5) you could some hardy fish chromis or a pair clowns, then add your other as the tank matures

scooter31707 12/29/2017 10:11 AM

If I am not mistaking, that tank is 90 gallons. I would not recommend all 3 of those Tangs, the tank is not big enough. Out of those 3 I would only recommend the Yellow Tang.

ole85 12/29/2017 02:01 PM

what about a 126 gallon tank is that big enough

JUNBUG361 12/29/2017 03:40 PM

126 gallon is big enough for 1 or maybe 2 in my opinion

Brieninsac 12/29/2017 04:08 PM

As others have said that's a lot of tangs for that size tank. Tangs are more aggressive then other fish and are usually added last. Also, Tangs are disease magnets so be forewarned.

allendehl 01/02/2018 08:57 AM

You can start it now and save some precious time. While your tank is being cycled you can have your fish going through QT. I know we newbies want so see something on it quick. Just use common sense on the speed you move.

You can have multiple fish in QT based on your tank size, 3 tangs may be too much. 2 should be ok ( I wont get into the dark waters of tang talk, you'll have to go through initiation lol) . Also have some pvc pipes in it for hiding, filter, air stone and ammonia badge for security.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TokiHacker 01/02/2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ole85 (Post 25316147)
what about a 126 gallon tank is that big enough

126 is not large enough for the blue... Blue min is 180 and purples can get big and mean. I have seen them large as a dinner plate. Id suggest a yellow and a bristletooth tang in a 126.

Also remember that yellows and purples look mighty alike. That can cause problems.

swiftvision 01/02/2018 05:49 PM

You can only have one tang as said.

I have a 100 gallon cube and have one purple tang. She is the queen and runs the tank. She is also the biggest by far.

I also don't have nore have time, interest, money in a QT tank. I can't imagine trying to keep another tank going.

I have over $14000 in my 100 gallon and wouldn't dare think about adding another bottomless pit. Your mileage may vary.