Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Invertebrates (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=427)
-   -   How many snails and hermits per gallon? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1307681)

Megalodon 01/30/2008 05:39 PM

How many snails and hermits per gallon?

My LFS told me, as a general rule of thumb, one snail for every gallon and a half and one hermit for every gallon.

Yet, I've read here and elsewhere that is too much.

Any thoughts?

Tayler 01/30/2008 05:54 PM

id say thats a good rule,since hermits and snails do not add much to the bioload i dont think that would be to many.

tayler

Pea-brain 01/30/2008 06:21 PM

Actually that is completely false. They would all starve to death (of course then you could buy more. yay for the LFS!). Number of snails/hermits per gallon is so rudimentary. It is kind of like wattage of light per gallon of inches of fish per gallon. It is just so general it doesn't take into account the details. Things such as amount of rock, surface area of glass, stocking levels, feeding levels and types of fish are all important. It is also important what kind of snails and hermits. Hermits should be kept in small numbers anyways IMO. They are good but they also kill snails and eachother if there are too many.

Dan

Packersfan21 01/30/2008 07:44 PM

If your going to have a lot of snails and hermits make sure there is enough algae in the tank for them. Make sure also that you have plenty of empty shells for the crabs to move into.

flyyyguy 01/31/2008 02:03 AM

agree...silly rule.

we have to play this vicious cycle of starving them...they die.....create excess nutrients...........need more.........repeat anyway. no sense in intentionally doing it when it happens to some extent anyway if your system is somewhat clean

add them as needed.

people who sell them like that cycle of excess death though

Megalodon 01/31/2008 03:26 PM

I'm surprised. This is a very advanced and knowledgeable store and perhaps the most respected in all of Western Canada. They never try to sell me anything I don't need. For example, a calcium reactor... they told me I don't need it on my Red Sea Max and to just dose. A digital thermometer... they told me they're too inaccurate and just use a cheap floating thermometer. A calcium and nitrate monitor... they said they're "toys" and a waste of money and to just use test kits. They sell all these expensive items and yet they're cautioning me away from them. What motive other than my best interests?

In any case, here is a list of their reef custodian packages. I'm now considering getting their package #2 instead of #3. Check it out and please do comment if you like...

Package #1
5 - 10 Gallons
5 - Blue Legged Hermits
1 - Red Scarlet Hermit
3 - Astrea Snails
2 - Margarita Snails

$17.49
Package #2
15 - 25 Gallons
12 - Blue Legged Hermits
3 - Red Scarlet Hermit
5 - Astrea Snails
5 - Margarita Snails
5 - Cerith Snails

$48.95
Package #3
30 - 45 Gallons
30 - Blue Legged Hermits
5 - Red Scarlet Hermit
10 - Astrea Snails
10 - Margarita Snails
10 - Cerith Snails

$99.95
Package #4
50 - 60 Gallons
45 - Blue Legged Hermits
6 - Red Scarlet Hermit
15 - Astrea Snails
15 - Margarita Snails
15 - Cerith Snails

$149.95
Package #5
70 - 90 Gallons
60 - Blue Legged Hermits
10 - Red Scarlet Hermit
20 - Astrea Snails
20 - Margarita Snails
20 - Cerith Snails

$199.95
Package #6
100 - 150 Gallons
100 - Blue Legged Hermits
15 - Red Scarlet Hermit
30 - Astrea Snails
30 - Margarita Snails
30 - Cerith Snails

$299.95
Package #7
180 - 240 Gallons
150 - Blue Legged Hermits
30 - Red Scarlet Hermit
50 - Astrea Snails
50 - Margarita Snails
50 - Cerith Snails

Pea-brain 01/31/2008 03:34 PM

hmmmm....What size tank? I would add nassarius snails if they are available, as well as some nerites. Astreas are a good glass/rock snail. The majority of margarita snails come from colder water and die within 4 months of introduction to our tropical system. Do they have corraline algae on them? I've heard tropical margaritas usually have corraline.

At any rate I'd say #2 is better for a 30 gallon system, depending on stocking levels, feeding levels and such.

Dan

Megalodon 01/31/2008 03:37 PM

It's a 38-gallon Red Sea Max.

And their Margarita's do have coralline on them, thankfully.

NaCl+H2O Fish 02/02/2008 12:23 PM

Fellow RSM Owner...

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11733100#post11733100 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Megalodon
It's a 38-gallon Red Sea Max.

And their Margarita's do have coralline on them, thankfully.

Megalodon -

Thought I would add my two cents here as I jumped over from the Red Sea Max Owners Club thread in nano tanks.

I too am a RSM MAX owner, born Jan. 20, 2008 and I am going through the same decisions as you. I do agree with some of the posted comments on potentially starving our CUC if the tank is clean!
Here is what I have learned from a lot of research:
SNAILS - all listed below can right themselves:
THROCHUS - Great cleaners, quarter sized and prefer warmer water / 1 per 5 gal. I am thinking of 3-5 for my tank.
NERITE - small, long lived and good cleaners.
NASSARIUS - fast (for a snail), hardy sand sifters... will actually clean the glass below the substrate and emerge when feeding the tank!
CERITH - may be one of the best cleaners for diatoms, small 1"
I'm thinking I will eventually have 4-5 of each, 16-20 total snails.
OTHER INTERESTING SNAILS / SLUGS:
ALGAE COWRIE - small size algae grazer... very pretty!
FIGHTING CONCH - doesn't grow as large as the QUEEN, great detritus eater.
LETTUCE NUDIBRANCH - non toxic, interesting, peaceful algae grazer.
One of each of the 3 above... eventually!

CRABS - careful with the hermits...
EMERALD CRAB - a definite for one... interesting, peaceful and bryopsis algae eater!
SCARLET HERMIT CRAB - recognized as the most peaceful... maybe 3.

Finally,
1 of either a SERPENT OR BRITTLE STARFISH for detritus cleaning in the rock work!

Hope this helps, but remember they are all going to need a food supply... so we have to be careful!

Kent
NaCl+H2O Fish

CadetMKultra 02/03/2008 10:49 PM

I have a 24 gallon. I've got tons of snails and hermits of different types in there. I also grow several macroalgaes and have plenty of live rock. I like it this way, so I can feed a bit more than most people would recomend for my fish. I have such a big cleanup crew, that not much goes to waste.