Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Military Reefers Group (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=707)
-   -   Military tankers (pun intended) (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2406871)

deanc 05/03/2014 01:13 PM

Military tankers (pun intended)

Okie dokie, so I am new to Reef Central and even though I know its a pretty common occurance on these forums I think we need a thread for tank vitals here :). So if you have a tank, or like me are putting one together for when I get off deployment , lets show off the basics and where you stationed at ..

Active duty, retired, dependent all are welcome :)

North Carolina/ Ft Bragg
Putting together a 150 (all I have left is to decide on the lighting ), reef tank
tunze nanostream 6095s (x2), tunze 9410 skimmer, apex controler and all the pricey little add ons :P , reeflo snapper/dart (return)
Overflow bulkhead 2" and 2x1" returns

Lighting not purchased yet but leaning toward AI Vegas

Runwithem513 05/06/2014 10:23 AM

Cherry Point NC

Putting a 60 cube together. slowly buying the equipmeent while im on this deployment. so far ive got a the hydor 650s with wave maker, the AI Hydra 52, and the reef octopus needle wheel 110 from my old tank.

side note to deanc i have a buddy that upgraded from the vega to the 52s and he said the difference is night and day as far as color and power go.

deanc 05/06/2014 01:04 PM

Sounds like you have the same plan I do RUN :).. Yeah on the light thing I am still on the fence (the 52's are my other choice )... I am mulling it over and will probably decide in june on the lighting.. sounds like you are putting together a nice system are you considering a controller (like the reefkeeper or Apex system) ?

Runwithem513 05/06/2014 02:13 PM

yeah i may buy the reef keeper light plus mainly to watch water quality. a buddy of mine already mailed me his extra director for it so thats 100 dollars saved lol. im also going to do the BRS duel reactor for GFO and carbon. i emailed AI and they were saying that they use the 52 over a 60 cube for their displays and said that 24 in above the water still has plenty enough power to house clams and sps anywhere in the tank.

only problem with buying all my new toys while still on deployment is the fact that i know they are at my house and i cant play with them lol

deanc 05/06/2014 02:36 PM

LOL, I know that feeling.. I am getting ready to go on r&r so I get the chance to open all my boxes in about a week :).. I can say that I am definitely contributing to the BRS world as well as most of my ordering has been through them (guess I am helping to keep those stock prices up lol )... On the upside I can say that BRS has really taken care of me in answering questions and customer sevice so I dont mind ..

Runwithem513 05/06/2014 06:06 PM

i wish, but r&r is just gonna be a tease, but the longer i sit around and think about it, the ,more and more i think its about to look sick. im trying to play out everything to the point i dream about it haha it sad. but at least with months sitting around i shouldnt forget anything, but then again with this long sitting around i might buy the whole damn BRS web site.

deanc 05/07/2014 12:17 PM

I feel you on the BRS wesbsite :P... R&R will be a tease you are so right but I am looking forward to it still, its gonna be a lot like xmas if you ask me lol... I am buying everything for my dream tank too, while the Apex took a nice bite the big bite is coming with the lights... Heres to hoping the memorial day sales are good ones lol!!!

saf1 05/25/2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runwithem513 (Post 22735869)
yeah i may buy the reef keeper light plus mainly to watch water quality. a buddy of mine already mailed me his extra director for it so thats 100 dollars saved lol. im also going to do the BRS duel reactor for GFO and carbon. i emailed AI and they were saying that they use the 52 over a 60 cube for their displays and said that 24 in above the water still has plenty enough power to house clams and sps anywhere in the tank.

only problem with buying all my new toys while still on deployment is the fact that i know they are at my house and i cant play with them lol

Several different controllers on the market and not all are equal. At the end of the day you get what you pay for. Apex/Neptune is probably the best overall in quality, support, and software. I've owned a Neptune and can say it withstood my GSD using it for a chew toy. I consider these types of controllers - Reef Keeper and a couple others, off the shelf or shrink wrap.

DIY is another option alone with a pre-built aka Reef Angel. That is what I'm current running. These I consider open source. Coding or using others libraries.

Both work but just ask yourself how much time do you want to spend vs. what you have free. Then if you go on vacation can your care taker use it. Build a pro and con list and you will be good :)

Good luck.

Toby_Kourtney 08/29/2014 07:56 PM

I've got a 20 gallon with a 10 gallon sump right now. I'm setting up a 125 but all I've got so far is the tank and I'm building the stand slowly.
Active duty Air Force
B-52 crew chief
Minot AFB

dukduk 09/05/2014 12:36 PM

heey I used to be at pope before the BRAC

photokid 02/10/2015 02:50 PM

Currently at Ft. Bragg, slowly accumulating equipment before PCSing. Plans are for an lps zoa tank.

kzeller 03/05/2015 05:00 PM

newbee to the hobby but was handed a tank a told to make it beautiful again
90g reef.
LPS anemone dominate
currently redesigning and getting new equipment...seeking assistance

US Army Reserve
Ft Lewis, Yakima Det. 88M.