Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Reef Chemistry Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Dosing Pro Bio S AND N0:P0x ok? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2666522)

dubmaneh 02/03/2018 08:58 AM

Dosing Pro Bio S AND N0:P0x ok?

As the title states, is dosing both Aquaforest Pro Bio S and N0P0x ok?

From what I gather the Pro Bio S would be the bacteria that the N0:P0x is feeding. No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hegeh 02/03/2018 09:06 AM

I would recommend just dose nopox to avoid further problem such as cyanobacteria.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

shermanator 02/03/2018 09:29 AM

Dosing both bacteria and carbon source (NOPOX is acetic acid and ethanol) is fine. That is the basis of ZEOvit (e.g., ZEObak is bacteria and ZEOstart is the carbon source), Prodibio, ...

Cheapreef 02/03/2018 09:46 AM

Yes it's very common, usually I people dose MB7 with Vinegar or NoPox.

dubmaneh 02/03/2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shermanator (Post 25351138)
Dosing both bacteria and carbon source (NOPOX is acetic acid and ethanol) is fine. That is the basis of ZEOvit (e.g., ZEObak is bacteria and ZEOstart is the carbon source), Prodibio, ...

That's what I understood as well. Just wanted to make sure.

Any issues with changing the bacterial product strain every week or is it better to just stick with one?

Thinking that changing it up would help with bacterial diversity.

dubmaneh 02/03/2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheapreef (Post 25351154)
Yes it's very common, usually I people dose MB7 with Vinegar or NoPox.

Gotcha. Bacteria + Carbon source. Thanks. [emoji1303]

bertoni 02/03/2018 10:31 PM

I agree that dosing both likely is fine. The bacterial supplement might have some carbon in it, so I'd proceed carefully. You can change the bacteria source as often as you'd like. I doubt that it will encourage much diversity, since bacteria are very competitive and specialized. I suspect that any introduced strains are likely to disappear quickly.

Misticl 02/05/2018 02:07 AM

From my understanding (reading the fine print) you MUST have a protein skimmer to dose nopox. Everyone assumes that everyone has a sump and skimmer. I don't and almost dosed. Who knows what would have happened but I didn't want to find out. Sorry if I missed your setup info.

bertoni 02/05/2018 06:40 PM

Well, it's probably a good idea to have a skimmer when dosing vinegar, but we don't know what might happen. It's possible that the dosing will convert mineralized nutrients into something that the other filtration (live rock, etc) can export. We don't have many reports on this approach, though. Actually, I"m not sure that I've seen any.