Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Sump made wrong from lfs. Can I fix it? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2657608)

Bulldog39 11/08/2017 06:17 PM

Sump made wrong from lfs. Can I fix it?

Look at what I paid $80 to be made and took 2 weeks. How can I fix it without starting over?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7b9c1fbbc9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d3e1863723.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3d490f7323.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Smokey Stover 11/08/2017 06:29 PM

I would want my money back!

Bulldog39 11/08/2017 06:41 PM

After 2 weeks I took it and just will not deal anymore with them. Now it is just more water and gonna make a refugium of some kind if I can figure how

R1ant04 11/08/2017 06:53 PM

Wow...they really screwed that up! Not much u can do other than add more height to some of the dividers....

top shelf 11/08/2017 07:18 PM

If your atleast happy with how they did the baffles with some effort it can be fixed. Not something I would pay $80 for either considering you could make that in maybe an hr or so but you win some you lose some. How you choose to handle it is your call. However as for fixing it you could use a black marker and mark on the outside of the tank where the baffles are for reference points. Then figure out how deep you need the water level to be. Head to Lowe's or other place you could get glass cut and give them dimensions and have new baffles cut. Grab some aquarium safe silicone and reglue them in.

Bulldog39 11/08/2017 07:39 PM

Really trying not to completely redo it. Do you think I can still use it as a refugium?

top shelf 11/08/2017 07:46 PM

Redoing it would be about your only option, like mentioned you could get more glass cut to the right width and heighth and glue to existing baffles and would be less work. If you wanted to use as a refugium you could just fill the entire tank and ignore the current baffles.

rocsec1 11/08/2017 07:57 PM

I would redo it. Those baffles are so low you won’t be able to add more glass to make them higher in a way that would look good or probably last.

Bulldog39 11/08/2017 08:00 PM

If I was to just add more water and put in chaeto would that work or would it get in my pump?

rocsec1 11/08/2017 08:39 PM

I think it would wash over and into the return section.
I’ve done two sumps,and it was pretty,easy. I got glass from the local glass,shop,and siliconed it in. Just use the right silicone.

Knighthawk 11/08/2017 09:17 PM

Those bubble traps are completely useless lol. I would take a razor blade and cut it all out. Take a tape measure and get the dimensions of the tank. Go have a glass shop cut some baffles and call it a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeramirez85 11/08/2017 09:56 PM

Yea they screwed that one up. I built one out of a 40b and bought some acrylic and cut myself to size. Ok

JUNBUG361 11/08/2017 11:06 PM

:debi: :headwallblue:

billwill 11/08/2017 11:38 PM

You’ve got all the glass you need already installed, and it’s glass with silicone. Cut out the ones that need to move and re-silicone them in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog39 11/09/2017 06:38 AM

@billwill move what ones?

mcgyvr 11/09/2017 07:45 AM

Its like deja vu...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2657182

Please state the name of the place you got that idiotic work done at so we can shame them on facebook, and so that locals know to avoid them.. What a joke.. Even worse that you actually paid for that and didn't raise hell..

But if you really want to work with what you have then maybe try this..
Remove second from the left and stack it on top of the first from the left.. Silicone at the joint to make it one taller baffle..

Take second from the right and stack on top of 3rd from the right and silicone like the other I just spoke of..
Then remove first from the right..
that will just give you 2 baffles..
First is an "underflow" path and the last is an "over" path..

sde1500 11/09/2017 09:30 AM

^ that is a good course of action.

And you didn't complain to them? Was this just you pay and they give you a sump? You didn't state what layout or height you wanted or anything?

JTL 11/09/2017 09:35 AM

Do what mcqyvr said and all you need to purchase is a tube of silicone. Remember if you decide to get a skimmer they operate at specific water levels. You can put a platform in the sump to raise them but you obviously cannot lower them. Most will operate between 6"-8". I have my drain section at 9" and raised my skimmer 2" if you stack the two pieces of glass it appears you will have 10"-12" which is workable.

On the partition between the fuge and the return pump I would put something on the top of the glass to keep the macro algae out of the return section. In my case I cut teeth in a strip of acrylic and affixed it to the top of the glass. There lots of ways to accomplish the same thing.

Bulldog39 11/09/2017 11:39 AM

Can I get sheets of acrylic and add them to the existing baffles? Will acrylic bond to the glass tank?

JTL 11/09/2017 11:46 AM

^The short answer is kind of. Good enough for your purposes, but why not just follow mcqyvr"s idea. I think it would look nicer and cost less. You only need to silicone the sides, don't worry about the bottom. A little water seeping through won't make a difference. The way your sump is laid out I don't see a need for bubble trap baffles.

Sk8r 11/09/2017 11:51 AM

I have to ask---what were they thinking?

You could just get some acrylic (flexes better than glass) and glue it to one and the other of those too-short walls, which is the quick fix. But quel pain! If you've got an option to get your money back, I'd go for that.

Bulldog39 11/09/2017 12:02 PM

True can I just use a strip of egg crate on top of the last baffle when done to keep the chaeto from going in the return area?

Bulldog39 11/09/2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgyvr (Post 25268157)
Its like deja vu...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2657182

Please state the name of the place you got that idiotic work done at so we can shame them on facebook, and so that locals know to avoid them.. What a joke.. Even worse that you actually paid for that and didn't raise hell..

But if you really want to work with what you have then maybe try this..
Remove second from the left and stack it on top of the first from the left.. Silicone at the joint to make it one taller baffle..

Take second from the right and stack on top of 3rd from the right and silicone like the other I just spoke of..
Then remove first from the right..
that will just give you 2 baffles..
First is an "underflow" path and the last is an "over" path..

Thanks mcgyvr good idea will work on that and post finished results in a few days. About how tall of baffles do you think I would need for the refugium area? Tank is like 16" tall so will have plenty of room lol from what they left me

d0ughb0y 11/09/2017 12:06 PM

removing the glass baffle is easy, if that is what you are worried about.

use a piece of fishing line and "saw" through the existing silicone. its like cutting butter with a hot knife. Then just clean off the remaining silicone with a sharp knife.

Bulldog39 11/09/2017 12:12 PM

Yeah will go by lowes and get some silicone and egg crate after done getting my windshield replaced