Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advanced Topics (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Need advice on how to literally clean poison from tank (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2667591)

gonereefing654 02/12/2018 07:00 PM

Need advice on how to literally clean poison from tank

Hello, hoping for some good advice here with a potentially bad problem.
So I getting ready to tear down my 120 tank to replace it with a glass tank. (Also I really need a aqua scape remodel)
In preparation for this I bought a couple 20 gal tanks used from LFS that going out of business. I built a double high stand in my garage for the 2 tanks with room under for a sump also.
I had this setup running great until one of my unsupervised 7 yo twin boys decide to make their own addition to the system. One of them tossed a container of amoro ant blocker (it’s this granular ant killer stuff that actually works good for ants ) i wasn’t open but I know it got in the water because the container filled with water. Apparently the active ingredient is Hydramethylnon 0.88%.
My question here is how would you guys try and clean this??? Is it possible to feel ok about this setup again??? Should I just be tossing the hole thing out??? (The setup, not the kids)
Any advice would be great.
Thanks

Pslreefer 02/12/2018 07:12 PM

I doubt if anything is seriously wrong. You could run carbon do a 100% water change if it makes you feel better. Or tear them down, clean with bleach and fill back up.

gonereefing654 02/12/2018 11:03 PM

Thanks I’m thinking the bleach route and running carbon for a while after.
Maybe cycle it with a damsel like a canary before I put all my corals and fish I care about in.

tkeracer619 02/13/2018 12:11 AM

As far as poisons go it's pretty mild unless you're an ant or a roach. LD50 on rats is like 1000mg/kg.

I would just do a water change and run carbon. I doubt anything will come of it.

Bleach oxidized organics. I don't see what it would do for poisoned rocks.

gonereefing654 02/15/2018 03:08 AM

Thanks again for the advice. Fingers crossed my new tank will be here in 2weeks so I’ve got to get this thing going so I can start braking down my 120

Hal 02/23/2018 03:59 PM

Glass and silicon absorb very little. That's why glass at least, is used in every chemistry lab ever.

A surface cleaning of the tank should be sufficient. Running carbon is just icing on the cake.

I'm unclear what your rock status is. Rock can absorb nasties.

Sk8r 02/23/2018 04:51 PM

Rock and sand---I'd discard. If glass, I'd fill and empty several times plus run PolyFilter to see if it's picking up any residue. I've looked up the chemical and gotten nothing specific: apparently it can get into water, which is why I recommend the soak and flush---and I'd also add a heater to the water and elevate the temperature to 85: chemistry moves faster at higher temperatures, and if it's going to go into the water, that would encourage it. You might also ask Bertoni in the Chemistry forum. :) Maybe the lads can help you fill and empty.

gonioporagirl 03/07/2018 04:47 PM

I would do a 100% water change just to be safe, but of course you don't have to do that big of a water change. You don't need to ditch the whole system. Many people use insect killer to actually dip corals, so a tiny bit of it isn't a big deal

tkeracer619 03/11/2018 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonioporagirl (Post 25383403)
I would do a 100% water change just to be safe, but of course you don't have to do that big of a water change. You don't need to ditch the whole system. Many people use insect killer to actually dip corals, so a tiny bit of it isn't a big deal

Well, we use a very specific type of pesticide that attacks the nervous system and since corals don't have one of those it doesn't hurt them. It will wreck your system if it made it into the actual display.

Dsekula 03/11/2018 10:54 PM

Hydramethylnon is listed as insoluble in water :) so while I'd take some precautions it seems unlikely that it would really get in the tank if the package was still closed.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk