Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   How long does it take a clown to change sex? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2645953)

twitchy 07/29/2017 09:13 AM

How long does it take a clown to change sex?

I apologise if this answer is out there somewhere, I tried using the search function first.

My situation is that I had a pair of clowns for a few years, and the female passed. I still have the male and was wondering how long to wait before he turns to a female, so I can add another smaller clown to be the male?

praveen956 07/29/2017 09:37 AM

I'm not an expert by any means, but if I understand correctly, a clown fish can change into a female anytime but once it becomes female it cannot change back to male. Can you simply add a male and the dominant one should turn into female.. lets wait for answers from experienced hobbyists..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoralsAddiction 07/29/2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchy (Post 25163800)
I apologise if this answer is out there somewhere, I tried using the search function first.

My situation is that I had a pair of clowns for a few years, and the female passed. I still have the male and was wondering how long to wait before he turns to a female, so I can add another smaller clown to be the male?

I recently broke up a mated pair of clowns and kept the breeding male. I paired the male with a juvi clown. It took about 2-3 weeks for the male to start exhibiting the same behavior towards the juvi as his previous mate (female) did towards him when they were still together. Now about 2 months later it's a total domination. I am pretty sure my breeding male that I paired up with a juvi clown has turned into a female.

twitchy 07/30/2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction (Post 25164082)
I recently broke up a mated pair of clowns and kept the breeding male. I paired the male with a juvi clown. It took about 2-3 weeks for the male to start exhibiting the same behavior towards the juvi as his previous mate (female) did towards him when they were still together. Now about 2 months later it's a total domination. I am pretty sure my breeding male that I paired up with a juvi clown has turned into a female.

How long did you wait after you broke them up before adding the juvi?

CoralsAddiction 07/30/2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchy (Post 25164644)
How long did you wait after you broke them up before adding the juvi?

No waiting. I paired the breeding male with the juvi on the same day I separated him from his female.

twitchy 07/30/2017 06:59 PM

Thanks for the help guys, looks like I will be picking up a juvi next time I go to the LFS [emoji106]