Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Best in class aquarium heater brand? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2038010)

snorvich 06/29/2011 09:08 AM

Best in class aquarium heater brand?

What is the best in class aquarium heater brand. (Going into a sump, controlled with profilux) 500 gallons of water. TIA. :thumbsup:

SkullV 06/29/2011 09:24 AM

I think generally people go with the Eheim Jager heaters as the "top quality" model. Those titanium tube heaters are also nice if you have a controller. I did have one die on me though, but it obviously can not stick in the on position with a profilux.

snorvich 06/29/2011 09:26 AM

Thanks. Never had this problem before LED but I keep my house cool and there is not much to heat up the tanks.

shaggss 06/29/2011 10:22 AM

+1 for Eheim jäger. very good quality

05f150fx4 06/29/2011 10:26 AM

+2 for jager. Did not like my Azoo

SkullV 06/29/2011 10:30 AM

I also want to mention the Aqueon Pro heaters. They are made in Italy by the same people who made the old Marineland Stealth heaters (gold standard at the time). They are excellent quality and shatterproof. They are also CHEAP and would work great with a controller.

Chris Lakies 06/29/2011 10:36 AM

+1 jager

Creetin 06/29/2011 11:01 AM

jager as well. Thats the only heater i will run after 20+ years with aquariums they seem the best. I have tried the rest.

bradjc 06/29/2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkullV (Post 18961985)
I also want to mention the Aqueon Pro heaters. They are made in Italy by the same people who made the old Marineland Stealth heaters (gold standard at the time). They are excellent quality and shatterproof. They are also CHEAP and would work great with a controller.

I see these heaters and cringe. the Marineland Stealth heaters were the worst heaters made. They were finally recalled and now replaced by the Aqueon Pro Heaters. They look the same and probably made the same way. Stay away from the black plastic heaters. Google Marineland Stealth heaters and read all the horror stories.

+1 for Jagers

solitude127 06/29/2011 11:57 AM

Jager for me as well.

SkullV 06/29/2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradjc (Post 18962187)
I see these heaters and cringe. the Marineland Stealth heaters were the worst heaters made. They were finally recalled and now replaced by the Aqueon Pro Heaters. They look the same and probably made the same way. Stay away from the black plastic heaters. Google Marineland Stealth heaters and read all the horror stories.

+1 for Jagers

You are mistaken sir. These are not made by the same people that made the stealth PRO heaters. The prior stealth heaters had no issues and were made in Italy.

There have been little to no reported problem with the Aqueon Pro heaters. Completely different brand. These Aqueon Pro heaters were in production and being sold at the same time as the faulty stealth PRO heaters. They were not a replacement for them in any way. Not sure where you got your information from.

bradjc 06/29/2011 12:15 PM

At one time I've had about 4 different Stealth Heaters myself. 2 of them were covered by the recall. 2 of them were the older version that you refer to. Those 2 broke (luckily in the off position) and were sent back to marineland for replacements. The replacements they sent me were recalled several years later.

snorvich 06/29/2011 12:42 PM

Eheim jäger. Sold. Just ordered two. Thanks for everyone's input.

ackee 06/29/2011 06:45 PM

Ebo Jager. The best I know of. I have two old style Ebos way more than 20 years old, solid green glass. I use them as backups, for temporary tanks, etc. They still work perfectly, accurate to within one degree F. I've never had one go bad or become inaccurate, stick on, etc., not ever. I use Ebo Jagers in multiples in the sumps of my larger aquariums, set a couple of degrees lower than the controllers that regulate them. I would not consider using any other heater.

OregonReefer 06/29/2011 07:03 PM

I have an Ebo Jager that's been in service for 15 years in a FW tank... Still works like the day I got it

SoFloReefer 06/29/2011 07:28 PM

Only heater that ever failed on me was a 250 watt Jager. Failed in off position (was on controller anyways). I think the titanium heaters hook up to a controller (like a Ranco) is the best way to go. The glass can never break and controllers are much more accurate than the built in thermostats in heaters.

allsps40 06/29/2011 07:45 PM

Eheim Jager for me to.

snorvich 06/29/2011 07:53 PM

Well everyone sure sold me. Should arrive tomorrow.

balagooon 09/28/2012 11:41 PM

Eheim Jager

17 months ago I purchased a new Eheim Jager 150Watt submersible heater for my 55 gallon freshwater aquarium. This month it leaked and killed the heater.
I emailed Eheim in Germany 3 days ago, cause they come with a 3 year warranty, and havn't heard from Eheim since...but the retailer who sold me the heater has replied and asked me it's wattage, although he has my sales receipt...so maybe he will get me a replacement.
Now, I am aware that most ALL aquarium heaters are nowdays fully submersable, but that was the first submersible one I ever had; always used the ones which hang on the tank edge and immerse into the water, not fully, but hang into it...such as the magnificent Supreme Heatmaster which I think made by Pen Plax years ago......which is my backup heater now on the 55 gal tank....and that heater has functioned well over 15 years for me; I just then replaced it with the Eheim Jager cause I was thinkn ..."15 years, it could blow any day now...."....you know?....

NOW naturally, I no longer trust any fully submersable aquarium heaters...
I may get a free Eheim replacement...BUT I will definitely make some sort of edge hanging device to hang it into the tank, and not fully submerge it ever again. And I am also considering buying this heater:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hagen-Elite-...item2eb462f9b1

Skipponator 09/28/2012 11:57 PM

Only Jagers for me .

geaux xman 09/29/2012 12:09 AM

My 150w jager is about 6degrees to low. Can it be calibrated?

balagooon 09/29/2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipponator (Post 20731842)
Only Jagers for me .

Well....you know now what happened to mine....so keep a close eye on yours for LEAKS...
After reading about the Hagen I linked to, some real negative reviews...now I am reconsidering a fully submersable...maybe Titanium or stainless steel one with outside digital temp controller....

balagooon 09/29/2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geaux xman (Post 20731857)
My 150w jager is about 6degrees to low. Can it be calibrated?

The instructions came with your Jager should tell you how to reset it....I found that te
mperature dial REALLY hard to turn...personally, and had a hard time and took a long time to get mine set....course...then it LEAKED

Buzz1329 09/29/2012 10:22 PM

Eheim Jager!

Yooper Reefer 09/30/2012 12:00 PM

I have the 150 watt Eheim Jager too and no matter what I set the dial to, the temp stays between 79 and 80. I've read the directions and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.