Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Baby Proofing Stand (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2670066)

ReefsandGeeks 03/08/2018 07:20 AM

Baby Proofing Stand

Hey all,

I have a 6 month old baby (today's his 1/2 year birthday!) and he is just about to start crawling. This has me concerned with my tank because right now I just have some 1/8" chalkboard sheets velcrowed to my stand on three sides, which my son will soon enough be able to remove by grabbing or pulling them.

I've tried posting pictures, but lately have had a lot of issues, so I'll just try to explain what my current setup is. I'm looking for any suggestions on how to make the bottom of the stand safe and childproof.

I have a 65 gallon tank, which has a steel frame. the frame is made of fairly light duty angle with a leg at all 4 corners of the tank. At the top, the section that supports the tank is the same angle iron but horizontal around the perimeter, simply supporting the outside edges of the tank. There is also a shelf supported by the same angle iron about 6" off the ground.
When I got the tank, I enclosed the bottom shelf with chalkboard from home depot. I just cut the size panels I needed, and stuck it directly to the angle iron. On the two side panels, I used industrial strength double sided tape. On the larger front panel, I used (4) 3" pieces of high strength velcrow at the corners so I can simply pull the whole panel off to access filtration and other supplies.

I'm looking for something that will replace the velcrow and be child proof, yet still be accessible without too much effort for maintenance. I go into the bottom of the tank probably twice a day for fish food or maintenance. I'd prefer something that looks decent, but more importantly is safe.

AquaManvsSkimme 03/08/2018 08:00 AM

I looking for the same information

mcgyvr 03/08/2018 08:21 AM

Without pictures its really hard to offer valid solutions..
Please try to post those pictures..

Quick guess would just be to use hinges/locking knob on those that will be frequently removed.. Screws/bolts on those that won't..

ReefsandGeeks 03/08/2018 08:54 AM

alright, I'll try to find a way to get pictures posted. I figured it would be hard to really imagine what's going on. It is a standard off the shelf stand

coral4me 03/08/2018 02:18 PM

I have some ideas for child proofing your stand @devastator007. I'll try to take some pics tonight and post them for you tomorrow.

ReefsandGeeks 03/09/2018 09:12 AM

Sounds good, Thanks. I wasn't able to get pictures yesterday as I never actually went home, but was thinking maybe adding a few of these magnetic locks to the inside of the front cover. Maybe (4) locks total, one at each corner. I think that might keep the front panel from being able to be removed. I know it's still hard to imagine exactly what's going on without a couple of pictures. I will get them as soon as I am able.

coral4me 03/09/2018 11:46 AM

I think if you install two BabyKeeps latches at each corner (one high, one low) on the stand. Then you should be able to secure the chalk board sides. As you can see in the pics I have used these on drawers and even the trash can.
PICS

BabyKeeps Child Safety Locks

My tank has cabinet doors and I used the magnetic latches.
Magnetic Cabinet Locks