Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Seahorses & Pipefish (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Seahorses and corals (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2546620)

laga77 12/21/2015 09:11 AM

Seahorses and corals

I would like to add some soft corals or Gorgonian corals to my Seahorse tank. My main concern is the temperature. The tank stays around 71F, so I am wondering what corals people are keeping with their Seahorses that can tolerate low temperatures? I have Leather and Xenia corals along with three different types of Photosynthetic Gorgonian in my reefs tanks. Anybody keeping these with their Seahorses at this temperature?

vlangel 12/21/2015 10:32 AM

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9...ps9yekgalt.jpg
Yes, I am having good luck with all those coral. My tank is set for 70-72 degrees but even goes to 68-69 at night. About the only coral that isn't doing well is a green slimer but perhaps the tank is too dirty for its liking, but even it is not dead.

laga77 12/21/2015 01:29 PM

Nice looking tank! Thanks for the photo. Not including the Mushrooms, I have the same corals in my other tanks. Now that I know it is possible I will start slowly moving corals into the Seahorse tank.

vlangel 12/21/2015 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laga77 (Post 24199792)
Nice looking tank! Thanks for the photo. Not including the Mushrooms, I have the same corals in my other tanks. Now that I know it is possible I will start slowly moving corals into the Seahorse tank.

I did acclimate them slowly.

el aguila 12/24/2015 11:20 AM

Many montis will handle lower temps better than most SPS type corals.

laga77 12/24/2015 02:18 PM

Thanks for the advice, I think after the holidays I will start importing the corals.

extendedmango 01/11/2016 09:07 PM

Corals

Hey guys, hoping to get seahorses in the next 6 months and was wondering if there were any recommended corals that will provide hitching posts. I have a redsea reefer 250 (65 gallon) with 2 ai primes and my tank is turned over 10 times an hour.

vlangel 01/12/2016 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extendedmango (Post 24246131)
Hey guys, hoping to get seahorses in the next 6 months and was wondering if there were any recommended corals that will provide hitching posts. I have a redsea reefer 250 (65 gallon) with 2 ai primes and my tank is turned over 10 times an hour.

That is about what my tank turns over, maybe just a little more. Even with that much turn over I still have small rio powerheads to keep food and detritus up off the sand so it can be dealt with in the sump.

My seahorses like a colt coral, (which I think is really funny) I have. They also like gorgonian and macro algae.

BlueCat1949 01/12/2016 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by laga77 (Post 24199327)
I would like to add some soft corals or Gorgonian corals to my Seahorse tank. My main concern is the temperature. The tank stays around 71F, so I am wondering what corals people are keeping with their Seahorses that can tolerate low temperatures? I have Leather and Xenia corals along with three different types of Photosynthetic Gorgonian in my reefs tanks. Anybody keeping these with their Seahorses at this temperature?

What species of seahorses are you keeping at 71 degrees? Unless they are temperate species most will be ok a little warmer. i kept my H. erectus at 72-74 degrees with great success. In the summer the temps were even higher and I was able to raise them through 6 generations.

laga77 01/12/2016 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueCat1949 (Post 24247556)
What species of seahorses are you keeping at 71 degrees? Unless they are temperate species most will be ok a little warmer. i kept my H. erectus at 72-74 degrees with great success. In the summer the temps were even higher and I was able to raise them through 6 generations.

They are H. Erectus. Tank is staying 71.5-72.5. They seem happy like this.

extendedmango 01/12/2016 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=vlangel;24246631]That is about what my tank turns over, maybe just a little more. Even with that much turn over I still have small rio powerheads to keep food and detritus up off the sand so it can be dealt with in the sump.

My seahorses like a colt coral, (which I think is really funny) I have. They also like gorgonian and macro algae.[/

Do you think a devils finger coral would work well for them or is it too thick to hitch to?

vlangel 01/12/2016 07:35 PM

[QUOTE=extendedmango;24248173]
Quote:

Originally Posted by vlangel (Post 24246631)
That is about what my tank turns over, maybe just a little more. Even with that much turn over I still have small rio powerheads to keep food and detritus up off the sand so it can be dealt with in the sump.

My seahorses like a colt coral, (which I think is really funny) I have. They also like gorgonian and macro algae.[/

Do you think a devils finger coral would work well for them or is it too thick to hitch to?

I kind of think they could hitch to a devils finger but not sure. It is worth a try.

extendedmango 01/12/2016 09:11 PM

[QUOTE=vlangel;24248551]
Quote:

Originally Posted by extendedmango (Post 24248173)

I kind of think they could hitch to a devils finger but not sure. It is worth a try.

Okay thanks

chimmike 01/23/2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extendedmango (Post 24246131)

you should not keep seahorses in the tank with all the other fish you have. Seahorses should be in a species-only tank.

clown, blenny, and melanurus wrasse will eat all the food you put in there before the seahorses get any.

extendedmango 01/27/2016 02:10 PM

I won't be getting them for a while ( possibly a year) because I want to have lots of hitching posts grown in. Right now my tank is mostly ployps, green stars and some mushroom anemones. I got a purple gorgonian as a frag( it's only 2 inches tall) and will be getting a toadstool. As for the fish I don't know anything about the wrasse or blennys compatibility but I'm certain that if you don't have pair of ocelarus clowns they won't be as aggressive. I have learned everything I know from Pete Giwonja and my LFS owner who has a pair of the rarest seahorses in America who okayed the purchase of my two fish to be housed with seahorses. Thanks for the warning though

rayjay 01/27/2016 03:29 PM

You can use http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...ankmates.shtml as a general guide for tankmates. Sometimes exceptions work out and other times they don't.
Personally I've not had luck with other fish in with my seahorses, but a lot of other people have, even with some fish not recommended.

extendedmango 01/27/2016 05:30 PM

Seahorses and corals

Have you heard anything about melanerous, because that's the main fish I was unsure of compatibility wise

rayjay 01/27/2016 07:20 PM

I haven't heard anything specific to that species, but the threat levels for the wrasses shown run from 2 to 4 but I would think the melanerous being fairly timid would be at the low end.
You might have to post that query on the "org" where there are a greater number of people viewing that may give a better chance of an answer.

extendedmango 01/27/2016 07:38 PM

Okay thanks for the help