Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Leaking PVC (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661661)

gusmanda 12/17/2017 08:44 PM

Leaking PVC

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to best seal a slight leak on PVC pipe taking water from display tank to refugium?The only prior experience I have with leaks is with glass tanks, which I normally resolved with silicone, not certain what would be the equivalent for PVC joints............

slief 12/17/2017 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gusmanda (Post 25306083)
Anyone have any suggestions as to how to best seal a slight leak on PVC pipe taking water from display tank to refugium?The only prior experience I have with leaks is with glass tanks, which I normally resolved with silicone, not certain what would be the equivalent for PVC joints............

Best advice is the replace and re-glue the leaking connections. This assuming it’s a glued connection. If the leak is at a threaded fitting, remove the threaded connection, remove the teflon tape, apply a good coating of pipe sealant. I use Oatey Great White with PTFE and then re-thread the fitting. With PVC, pretty much any attempt to seal a leaking connection from the outside will result in leaks down the road. As such, your best bet is to redo the connection.

gusmanda 12/17/2017 09:01 PM

ok thanks. Are there any temporary fixes it might take some me some time to get everything together for a re-do.

Thanks

GQsmooth 12/17/2017 09:24 PM

Out of curiosity, was this on a new setup or a leak that developed after a number of years?

Either way I would completely redo it, like slief said.

Arthur1 12/17/2017 09:41 PM

Once again, slief's recommendation is correct. I really don't like or recommend "band aids" but if you promise us that you'll fix it properly... jb water weld may help or a bead of gorilla glue. Just turn the system off for a bit and let things harden nicely before turning back on.

Daddi0 12/17/2017 09:49 PM

If there is no pump pressure, you can wrap the joint with black electric tape. Dry the area first and wrap. It will hold you over.
Cheers! Mark

hijinks 12/17/2017 10:59 PM

Rust-Oleum LeakSeal

or something like

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DuraPower-2...s-Tape/3522864

Mdj 12/18/2017 07:46 AM

Flex seal, silicone, tape, plumbing repair wrap all may by you some time but in order to fix must take apart and redo

VoltzNSalt 12/18/2017 07:50 AM

Flex seal...

JTL 12/18/2017 08:46 AM

I have had good luck sealing leaking pvc with 2 part marine expoxy. I have used it for leaking well pumps, irrigation systems and my aquarium plumbing when I had to get creative converting metric to standard.

laverda 12/18/2017 03:28 PM

You were not very clear on where the leak is. If it is at a bulk head you mY be able to just tighten up the nut a little on the bulkhead. Another posibility is if it is leaking at a union. The union could be loose or it may need a new o-ring. A drain line should not have any preasure on it, so even pressed together joints should not leak in most cases. Even if it was glued, it clearly was porely done. You may be able to just twist the joint apart. Just be sure to hold both sides so you don't stress the tank or bulkhead. If that fails and it is a glued joint leaking turn the water off and dry it thourghly. If you can get to the inside of the joint apply a bit of PVC glue all around the joint in the inside. That should take care of it. If nothing else PVC glue on the outside should be enough to seal a drain line leak.

laverda 12/19/2017 12:15 AM

Here is another way to fix leaking PVC.

gusmanda 12/20/2017 03:54 PM

thanks guys!!! It ended up being the nut, so quick fix. Next step is to figure out what to do to prevent it from loosening with time. Thanks!!!

Arthur1 12/28/2017 08:27 PM

I used to use teflon tape wrapped around the threads to see if it made a difference as far as that goes, but sadly I have ocd and check the nut more often then not. It's worth a try!

lapin 12/29/2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gusmanda (Post 25308582)
thanks guys!!! It ended up being the nut, so quick fix. Next step is to figure out what to do to prevent it from loosening with time. Thanks!!!

To keep the nut form backing off try to put a bit of silicone on the threads just behind the nut and smear it onto the nut. You can also you a product called "thread lock". That would require you take the nut off to use.

saf1 12/29/2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slief (Post 25306086)
Best advice is the replace and re-glue the leaking connections. This assuming it’s a glued connection. If the leak is at a threaded fitting, remove the threaded connection, remove the teflon tape, apply a good coating of pipe sealant. I use Oatey Great White with PTFE and then re-thread the fitting. With PVC, pretty much any attempt to seal a leaking connection from the outside will result in leaks down the road. As such, your best bet is to redo the connection.

Just picked up some Oatey Great White with PTFE myself to try. I've been using Teflon tape for a while now but I kept hearing about this Oatey stuff so figured I would try it with some new plumbing I have.

I'm assuming that you just apply it directly to the threads and then connect the couplings like you normally would? Instead of the Teflon you just apply Oatey instead.

lapin 12/29/2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saf1 (Post 25316223)
Just picked up some Oatey Great White with PTFE myself to try. I've been using Teflon tape for a while now but I kept hearing about this Oatey stuff so figured I would try it with some new plumbing I have.

I'm assuming that you just apply it directly to the threads and then connect the couplings like you normally would? Instead of the Teflon you just apply Oatey instead.

It works the same. The threads always make the seal water tight. Not the tape or Qatey stuff. What it does is lube the threads allowing for them to mate into each other futher. Produces a better water tight seal.

saf1 12/29/2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lapin (Post 25316225)
It works the same. The threads always make the seal water tight. Not the tape or Qatey stuff. What it does is lube the threads allowing for them to mate into each other futher. Produces a better water tight seal.

Thanks. I am going out on a limb here and say you should also use it on bulkhead fittings? Mine are perfectly sealed at the moment, at least while doing my leak checks a couple weeks back. But since I have this for some new plumbing and the tank is dry it may make sense to apply it now if so.

JTL 12/29/2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lapin (Post 25316225)

Not so. The teflon and the PTFE fill in the very small voids in the threads.

Member No. 1 12/29/2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saf1 (Post 25316228)
Thanks. I am going out on a limb here and say you should also use it on bulkhead fittings? Mine are perfectly sealed at the moment, at least while doing my leak checks a couple weeks back. But since I have this for some new plumbing and the tank is dry it may make sense to apply it now if so.

The stuff to use for a pvc threaded connection is RectorSeal 5.
https://www.rectorseal.com/rectorseal-no-5/
You should NEVER use teflon tape on a plastic fitting. REPEAT NEVER!
Read this: http://www.lascofittings.com/threads

As to the bulkhead, if you are talking about the internal threads, see above, but if you are talking about the nut that holds it on, the external thread, no need for sealant. That is what the gasket is for. I have some that are over 5 years old, never seen a drop from bulkhead. Just be sure all surfaces are CLEAN! Then clean them again!

Here is a great write up that Russ did on the Neptune forum.
https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...mbing-Fittings

saf1 12/29/2017 04:10 PM

Thanks all. Didn't mean to hijack the thread but this was the last place I saw current that was talking about sealing properly. Since I am in the final stages of plumbing after the initial check and moving it into the house I have time to do it without Teflon :)

Thanks again - also for the URL's there Member!

Member No. 1 12/29/2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saf1 (Post 25316256)
Thanks all. Didn't mean to hijack the thread but this was the last place I saw current that was talking about sealing properly. Since I am in the final stages of plumbing after the initial check and moving it into the house I have time to do it without Teflon :)

Thanks again - also for the URL's there Member!

No problem. FYI...
From Russ... "Please be aware that Oatey Gray and Great White pipe joint compounds are NOT plastic-safe. Some Rectorseal brand products also are not safe for plastics. If you look at other similar products, be sure to check the label carefully - if it doesn't specifically say that is for use with plastic pipe fittings, assume that it is not safe."

lapin 12/29/2017 06:17 PM

http://www.expert4pvc.com/Documents/AvoidThreads.pdf

slief 12/29/2017 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Member No. 1 (Post 25316258)
No problem. FYI...
From Russ... "Please be aware that Oatey Gray and Great White pipe joint compounds are NOT plastic-safe. Some Rectorseal brand products also are not safe for plastics. If you look at other similar products, be sure to check the label carefully - if it doesn't specifically say that is for use with plastic pipe fittings, assume that it is not safe."

Not sure what kind of plastic fittings he was referring to when stating that Great White isn’t plastic safe but for the most common plastics found in aquarium fittings and plumbing, it’s perfectly safe. I’ve used it for years and never had an issue. In fact, I have fittings on my tank that’s were sealed over 10 years with the Great White and never had a leak. The key to using this stuff properly is to not evertighten the fittings. Here is the info right off the label and it discusses the materials it’s designed to work with. I have the utmost respect for Russ but my expereince with the Great White is different but again, overtightening could be a factor if you aren’t careful.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/o...srf9qvudy.jpeg

Lsufan 12/30/2017 10:16 PM

Yea, I usually use the great white on pvc. I’m not sure what he meant but it is fine for pvc.

Saf1, u are correct that u just apply it to the threads. It is messy so try not to put to much excess because it doesn’t clean up easily.