Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   LiveAquaria.com (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=408)
-   -   Fish Availability (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1663115)

michael_cb_125 06/29/2009 10:02 AM

Fish Availability

Hello Live Aquaria!

I just wanted to check in and see if you have any of the following fish in QT.

Liopropoma multilineatum
Liopropoma carmabi
Liopropoma mowbrayi
Liopropona sp. (Un-named Sunset Basslet)

Thanks

~Michael

GrimReefer82 06/29/2009 10:48 AM

Is the last fish you are asking about a Liopropoma aurora? Just trying to help.

dfs/la2 06/29/2009 10:59 AM

Michael,

Thank you for your post. We will check with our Aquaculture Coral & Marine Life Facility regarding the fish you listed. We will post as soon as we receive a response. We apologize for the delay.

Dallas M.
LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster & Smith

michael_cb_125 06/29/2009 11:02 AM

Grim- No it is not the Aurora. THat would be nice, but my tank is not large enough.

This is the Liopropoma sp. that I am refering to:

michael_cb_125 06/29/2009 11:07 AM

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...107081-178.jpg

dfs/la2 06/29/2009 12:14 PM

michael_cb_125,

Thank you for contacting us. We checked with our Aquaculture Coral and Marine Life Facility and we do not have any of Liopropoma multilineatum, mowbrayi, or Sunset Basslet.

We have a 2” Liopropoma carmabi that we will be adding tonight to our Diver’s Den items for $899.99.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us.

Stacie R.
Technical Support
LiveAquaria.com

michael_cb_125 06/29/2009 01:42 PM

Thanks Stacie

michael_cb_125 06/29/2009 04:20 PM

Are there any others in QT that will be posted after this evening?

Thanks

~Michael

dfs/la2 06/29/2009 04:33 PM

michael_cb_125,

Thank you for your post. According to our Aquaculture Coral & Marine Life Facility, the 2” Liopropoma carmabi from our previous post is the only specimen that we expect to have available in the near future. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Mike S.
LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith

michael_cb_125 07/01/2009 06:42 PM

Well it looks like the near future was defined in hours. :)

There are more!

I have a question.

Do you try to pair all of the candy basslets that you receive?

And how difficult are they to pair, how aggressive are they to the same species?

Thanks

~Michael

dfs/la2 07/01/2009 07:43 PM

michael_cb_125,

Thank you for your inquiry. All Candy Basslets we receive either come singly or in pairs from our vendors. We will be checking with our Aquaculture Coral & Marine Life Facility for further information on the difficulty of pairing this species. As soon as we receive additional information, we will be posting it here.

Mike S.
LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith

michael_cb_125 07/01/2009 07:51 PM

Thanks

~Michael

michael_cb_125 07/02/2009 12:25 PM

Kevin, what are your thoughts on attempting to pair these fish?

~Michael

DFS 07/02/2009 02:21 PM

Michael,
Sorry for the delay, multitasking today that’s for sure. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for the miscommunication on the Candy Basslet availability. Early last month we had one fish left, but shortly thereafter I received a telephone call with the good news another batch was going to be available.

I actually tried to pair up the exact fish you received today, but had not luck as all of the fish in this last batch were larger, and there was almost no variation in size among all of them. With some patience and diligence along with very close observation, their distaste for the same sexed fish is noticeable in a very short period of time. The pairs that I have successfully bonded, showed little to no posturing or aggressive behavior towards one another at all, and in a very short period of time took a liking to one another.

Male Liopropoma carmabi appear to grow larger than female, and are more sleek and elongated than the shorter, stockier females from what I have observed. I firmly believe these fishes are hermaphroditic, and have the ability to change sex as they mature from juveniles to adults. The only time I have been fortunate enough to successfully bond these fishes is when a batch arrived with a few specimens that were much smaller than the others.

I have successfully bonded a total of three pairs, the first of which are residing in my office nano aquarium. I am happy to report this initial pair has been together in a 14 gallon nano for almost 5 months now, and in my opinion, they are ideally suited for this type of display. Both fish are out in the open more often than not, and within the last week, are now courting one another! The fish are altering their coloration during the display, posturing, and rubbing their operculums together while they are side by side. This behavior is most prevalent late in the day/during the evening, and I am very confident they would successfully spawn if I could provide them with a taller aquarium. Liopropoma spp. require height like all pelagic spawning fish, as they need some room to ascend to the surface to successfully spawn.

This is incredibly fascinating behavior from a species of fish that even the scientific community knows very little about due to their reclusive nature and deep water habitat where they reside is a sight to behold.

I will continue the quest and my efforts with this gorgeous species, in order to try and do my part to make a contribution to this incredible hobby that we all learn from and enjoy so much.

Regards,

michael_cb_125 07/02/2009 07:41 PM

Thanks for responding Kevin.

I have noticed the different sizes and shapes of the carmabi that have been posted in the DD.

I am planning on trying to pair my current candy basslet with another in the next few months.

Possible female
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...091-053jpg.jpg

Possible Male
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/112...701091-017.jpg

I would like to obtain a fish similar to the first fish that I posted.

~Michael