Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   how many clownfish can you keep in a tank? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1100111)

ocean.mirage 04/16/2007 10:02 PM

how many clownfish can you keep in a tank?

I have a 90 Gallon, I haver a pair of mated true percs in it right now. Clownfish, in my opinion are the best fish to have in a tank. So much entertainment. Is there any way i can keep more in a tank this size? What type of clownfish?perhaps an Ocellaris?

My wife really wants Maroon clownfish, could I put a mated pair of Maroons in there as well?

Thanx

ocean.mirage 04/16/2007 10:09 PM

How many true percs can you put in a tank this size?

SquidHC 04/16/2007 10:09 PM

Maroons are, from my understanding, probably the most aggressive of all the clowns. I have a pair of black saddleback clowns and love them. They are black and white with yellow faces and fins. Check em out. I cant speak as to how many clowns you can have in a tank. I thought they were territorial but I have seen lots of tanks with several clowns in them.

ocean.mirage 04/16/2007 11:18 PM

well, wan't to kepp more than 2, I would like to keep around six. I would love a pair of black oceallaris, a pair of percs, and a pair of amroon clowns

ocean.mirage 04/16/2007 11:21 PM

what are some opinions?

glockcoma 04/16/2007 11:33 PM

I heard and read that maroons will attack any other typa of clown evan another maroon, Ive been told if you want a maroon just to get one

saltwatersucker 04/16/2007 11:42 PM

It is not recommended that you keep more than one species of clown fish in your tank but that being said you can try just about any combination each fish has there own personality some more aggresive than others. If you do try this I would suggest you take some time and watch them interact for a couple of days to be sure they can co-exist

ocean.mirage 04/16/2007 11:48 PM

So, If I wanted to introduce some maroons to my percs. It would be best to do this while the juvenile maroons are small and have not determined sex yet or even paired, This way I have a great chanc eof success?

NanoGurl 04/16/2007 11:58 PM

I kept two pairs in a 90g. A pair of false percs and a pair of tomato clowns. The tomato clown pair was slightly larger then the false perc clown pair and he would chase them quite a bit. Downright attack them if they came near his anemone.

I have not had a maroon, but everything that I have heard and seen in fish shops is they are very aggressive and much larger then false percs. IMO a 4' tank is not enough space to seperate them. They do not have enough buffer zone to move away. A maroon clown will probably chase any fish out of his territory if he can do so.

Goodluck I hope you work it out. Like you, I love the clowns and wish I could have more in my tank then what I have. I'm just nervous of losing them.

cayars 04/17/2007 12:08 AM

I've got 3 pairs: true percs, oceallaris and clarkiis and they all get along fine. I've done this in a 120 and a 44 with no problems.

Yum Cimil 04/17/2007 12:30 AM

You can do any clowns and take your chances but you have less of a chance of failure with skunks and other clowns. I have seen many combinations of clowns, even cross-breeding. My own experience, I had clarkiis killed by percs before but each fish is different. I then had the same percs with skunks with no problem. I have read that skunks can be mixed with other clowns and I can say first hand that they were fine together.

NanoGurl 04/17/2007 12:56 AM

How about a pair of false black ora percs and a pair of false percs? Two sexually maturing females and two males? Sorry, not trying to hijack thread.

Dave Cox 04/17/2007 05:39 AM

Maroons are mean mothers.

When you've absolutely, got to, kill every last m*****-f****** clown in the tank, just add a maroon... :D

bobbbm 04/17/2007 07:26 AM

I have a Maroon, when we added an anemone for him he started attacking everything. My wife gets bit everytime she puts her hand in the tank. For some reason he doesnt bite me tho.

Yum Cimil 04/17/2007 08:21 AM

Aggressive clowns that I would never add to my tank would be Fire clowns, maroons & tomatoes. Fire clowns are the meanest.

kurtg 04/17/2007 08:38 AM

I had a pair of mated perculas. *had* being to operative word because my maroon killed both. My maroon got along with a single percula for a long time although they had different ends of a 110g tank. Apparently, a mating pair was too much for the maroon.

You could be lucky to mix different species or more then a mated pair of the same species, but it could also end up in disaster even after things appear to be fine for several months. I can't recommend it unless you have a large >200g tank and even then I'd be very cautious.

Matt Rise 04/17/2007 08:52 AM

There is someone locally that has a ton of percs in one tank. No BS, I will try to find a pic.

Amphiprion 04/17/2007 09:39 AM

I have seen mixing issues many times--in short, if you don't like the real possibility of losing some of these fish, you should not try it. It is simply a gamble as to whether or not it may work.

Matt Rise 04/17/2007 09:47 AM

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...tachment-1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...tachment-2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...tachment-3.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...attachment.jpg

Amphiprion 04/17/2007 09:52 AM

I notice a few things about the circumstances in that tank:
1) All the clownfish are fairly young and as evidence, are exhibiting the 'huddling' behavior.
2) The sheer numbers temporarily offset aggression, but won't eliminate it.
Though it seems like a good idea, there will eventually be problems. Even in that density, the population will be thinned out by the most dominant members. Still, after that, it will continue to be stressful to the remaining individuals.

ocean.mirage 04/17/2007 10:50 AM

Well, I think I will try introducing 2 young tomatoe clowns,

Simply because I think they are not as aagressive as a maroon, and they are alarger clown, which is what I want.

Is this a really stupid idea? what are my chances of success? (%)

ocean.mirage 04/17/2007 01:08 PM

hello?, any opinions?

Marsha 04/17/2007 03:00 PM

From the reading I have done, you should not keep more than 2 clowns it a tank less than 5 feet long. They are territorial as adults and since we all plan on keeping our tanks for years .... they will become adults in yours.

Toddrtrex 04/17/2007 03:16 PM

I would recommend against it. Odds are you are going to end up with a dead pair of perc. Tomatoes, IME are just as mean as maroons. I've been keeping clowns for over 10 years now, and have/had several breeding pairs. Never once have I have been able to keep more than one pair in any of my tanks.

Sure, you will be able to find a few people that have done it, but I really don't feel it is a good idea, or worth the risk.

sebae09 04/17/2007 03:48 PM

i have 1 pair of Pink Skunks and 1 pair of True Percula's in my 55Gallon reef, and i plan on trying to put 1 Pair of False Percula's and 1 Pair of Nigripes in my other tank..