Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advanced Topics (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Brine Shrimp (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2658827)

devildog999 11/20/2017 05:16 AM

Brine Shrimp

Not sure this is the right forum for this topic but it seems right.

I am hatching some brine shrimp eggs with a hatchery I got from my of my LFS'. I do not have a net or sieve yet for separating my shrimp from their eggs. I am ordering a net and sieve but it will not be here until after the holidays I would think so that brings me to my question:

How can I separate the eggs from shrimp until I get my net and sieves so that I am not adding all the crud into the tank. Give it has 2 seahorses, I would prefer not to add a bunch of crud.

devildog999 11/20/2017 06:26 PM

Bump

pfan151 11/20/2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devildog999 (Post 25279491)
Not sure this is the right forum for this topic but it seems right.

I am hatching some brine shrimp eggs with a hatchery I got from my of my LFS'. I do not have a net or sieve yet for separating my shrimp from their eggs. I am ordering a net and sieve but it will not be here until after the holidays I would think so that brings me to my question:

How can I separate the eggs from shrimp until I get my net and sieves so that I am not adding all the crud into the tank. Give it has 2 seahorses, I would prefer not to add a bunch of crud.

Use decapsulated eggs. If not, you can hatch them in a tall container and try to siphon out the shrimp from the bottom.

devildog999 11/20/2017 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfan151 (Post 25280332)
Use decapsulated eggs. If not, you can hatch them in a tall container and try to siphon out the shrimp from the bottom.

Appreciate the response but too late to try decapd eggs. My eggs are already in the hatchery; just looking for an ideal way to remove shrimp without eggs until I get the net and sieves I have ordered.

I will give the syphon idea a shot when ready tho. Given the bottom of the hatchery already has airline, should be pretty easy to syphon from the bottom.

WVfishguy 11/21/2017 02:54 AM

Artemia are are attracted to light. Cover the hatchery, leaving a small hole for light to come in. After a few minutes, the live shrimp will be massed where the light comes in, and you can siphon them out. We used to hatch them in gallon jars, cover the jar with a paper bag with a small hole in the side, and suck them out where they congregate in the light.

lapin 11/21/2017 07:47 AM

I have a Brine Shrimp hatchery cone with stand and some strainers if you want to drive over to Wimberley. You can borrow it for a while. What i found is most effective is to use a light as WVfishguy suggests. They will come to the light and you can siphon them out with turkey baster .

devildog999 11/21/2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVfishguy (Post 25280616)
Artemia are are attracted to light. Cover the hatchery, leaving a small hole for light to come in. After a few minutes, the live shrimp will be massed where the light comes in, and you can siphon them out. We used to hatch them in gallon jars, cover the jar with a paper bag with a small hole in the side, and suck them out where they congregate in the light.

Appreciate the tip, my shrimp have been "marinating" (can't really think of a better term tbh) for a bit over 48 hrs so they should be ready soon. We shall see how it works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lapin (Post 25280731)
I have a Brine Shrimp hatchery cone with stand and some strainers if you want to drive over to Wimberley. You can borrow it for a while. What i found is most effective is to use a light as WVfishguy suggests. They will come to the light and you can siphon them out with turkey baster .

I appreciate the offer. If my package isn't slated to be here soon, I very well may take you up on that offer. Appears you are only about an hour away from me. Thank you

wildcats 11/23/2017 11:34 AM

A simple white handkerchief works great

WVfishguy 11/23/2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lapin (Post 25280731)

You can buy a brine shrimp net from Angel's Plus - that's what I use to this day. They last practically forever.

Coffee filters may work, but as wildcats said, I've used a lot of pieces of white cloth. :thumbsup:

BlueMoods 12/05/2017 10:01 AM

Tall hatchery, like a 2 liter soda bottle, when it's time to harvest them, dark room, small, bright light at the bottom, siphon them off the bottom - egg casings float, shrimp go to light so, they will go to the bottom in a matter of a few minutes if that's the only light in the room.

erndog1001 12/09/2017 04:59 AM

If you're serious about raising them Then get the cone shaped hatchery with the bottom drain. it's pretty cheap. Then after all the shrimp have hatched Just stop the air flow and put a light source at the bottom. Wait like 15 min or so and they'll all gather at the bottom while the empty egg casings and unhatched eggs float to the surface. Then simply open the drain and out they all come.