Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Plants & Macroalgae (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   Growing Ogo & Ulva (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1627460)

jnewman 04/27/2009 02:50 PM

Growing Ogo & Ulva

I have some large tangs and have been buying ogo. I was woundering has anyone been able to grow this Macro? How did you do it and were did the starter come from?
Ulva as I understand is simalar too cheto? In that it has no roots and uptakes nutrients by it's body?
Any input is much needed, Thanks

ctenophors rule 04/29/2009 04:06 PM

all algae have no true roots (some have hold fast, which anchor them to the substrate) and all algae take in nutrients from surrounding water.

they also have no true leaves, or stems.

now ulva is relatively simple, lots of peple sell it as well.

if you can grow chaeto, by god you just might be able to grow ulva!

as ofr the ogo, i do not know.

i myself have started a nice little algae refugium for my 29 gallon reef tank, at the moment it has a few pieces of codmium, some caulerpa, some ulva, stringy, and full lettuce leaf like, some halimeda, some caulerpa prolifera, lots of chaetomorpha, and a few other miscelaneous algaes. (mermaids cup, christmas tree, etc)

when i have too much, i may post it for sale here!

jnewman 04/30/2009 05:09 PM

OK hold fast. I realy want to know if anyone has been able to get this macro to start a holdfast and be able to farm this Tang delight. I have 2 tangs that go crazy when I purchase it. But I have never seen or heard anyone able to grow it and farm for a food source.

ctenophors rule 05/02/2009 10:01 AM

do you mean to say you want ulva to produce hold fasts?

i'm not sure if it even does that. why would you want to?

i think it may be easier to grow while floating in a refugium type tank.

or you could set up a ten gallon, ad 20 pounds of sand, and add your ulva with a sixty watt 6500 light from lowes on top.

40 $ (if not less) for a never ending supply of ulva.

probably the same for the ugo, except i think it is red, so you may want a higher k rated bulb. maybe 20 bucs more.

TheH 05/02/2009 03:38 PM

Ogo and ulva are not easy to grow, ime. They require lower flow (as they are delicate) and high nutrients. They typically wither away in a few weeks.

jnewman 05/03/2009 02:56 AM

I have tried to grow ogo and yes it slowly faded away. As said I used a 6500k PC that was also used to grow other macro. this is why I am asking the question as to growing and maintaining more ogo than ulva.

RicksReefs 05/03/2009 07:41 AM

Ulva is an intertidal species growing along the shoreline. it gets beat up by waves and exposed at low tide to tropical sun.
I've found it to be anything but delicate. i grow it outside in partial shade/sun. it does attach by holdfasts to the rock, glass, etc.
Gracilaria (ogo) I grow in the fishroom under cheapo HD standard flourescents (5K). this algae can collect detritus, etc, much like chaeto, and needs to be kept free of crud to thrive.

TheH 05/03/2009 11:58 AM

I guess I stand corrected then.

I know of a number of people who have had difficulty with Ulva though. Can you suggest any possible reasons for this? Perhaps it is entirely due to a need for high nutrient levels?

RicksReefs 05/03/2009 12:42 PM

that could very well be a limiting factor. since they're more of a shore line species (as opposed to reef) and the shore is natures skimmer cup, it's safe to assume they prefer higher levels of nutrients, but no more so than caulerpas, mermaid fan, etc..
they grow in the same area, they just don't get exposed at low tide all that often.
it's also possible that if there were any other macro algae present in the fuge, they were more effecient at processing the nutrients and starved the ulva. it also appreciates a bit more light than most macros.