Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Moving Fish Long Distance: Bag or Bucket (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2160861)

b0bab0ey 04/21/2012 04:40 PM

Moving Fish Long Distance: Bag or Bucket

I've read so many differing opinions on this that I just can't decide. So, you get to decide for me.

If you had to do a long distance move (say 10+ hrs), would you just bag all your fish up or move them in, say, 5 gal. buckets? For the sake of argument, we'll say 2 fish per bucket with an air stone running in each bucket.

snorvich 04/21/2012 04:42 PM

I would definitely use a bucket. But prepared with battery operated air pumps. Size of bucket and number of fish per bucket depends on size. Also, be prepared to keep the area warm or cool.

REGGAEX 04/21/2012 05:55 PM

Buckets the way to go

Vince272992 04/22/2012 08:28 AM

bucket with some type of hide out such as live rock or PVC pipes and have a small bubbler in the bucket for oxygen to make the trip least stressful as possible

Ryan2013 04/22/2012 09:20 AM

I dont know about putting rock into the bucket with the fish. If it shifts while your moving it could kill one of them. Definately do buckets with air stones though, the last thing youd need is to be caught in traffic with a bunch of bagged fish slowly running out of oxygen.

Dr Colliebreath 04/22/2012 09:28 AM

Either will work, but I say go with buckets with airstones and no rock. The fish may get sloshed around against the rock.

Reefkeeper 18 04/22/2012 09:32 AM

Deff a bucket

TruReef 04/22/2012 09:36 AM

bucket with airstone. been there, done that successfully.. all corals in two or three buckets and all fish in another. snails and hermits in another, separated of course.

GSMguy 04/22/2012 01:29 PM

I moved all my fish and corals from Virginia to New Mexico in buckets, no airstone During the drive but I did use powerheads and heaters in the hotel room at night. The sloshing when the truck was moving was enough oxygen during the day. The trip took 3 days and it was another week after I got to NM before I got them back in the tank.

jjk_reef00 04/22/2012 03:41 PM

+1 on bucket with airstones

hobbzz 04/22/2012 04:45 PM

I moved two b&w occ in winter from Wisconsin to Florida in a 5g bucket w/heater, and a venturi powerhead running off of a cig lighter power adapter. 1300 mi/24 hrs and they were fine.

Old Glory 04/22/2012 04:47 PM

You could use plastic storage bins.

b0bab0ey 04/22/2012 09:59 PM

Either buckets or sterilite containers with airstones it is! Thanks everyone! I feel a lot more confident now about my game plan!

sbeason 04/23/2012 05:17 AM

I did a 460+ mile move and just put them in a 5 gallon bucket with a powerhead; no rock or anything else. The trip took 7 hours and everything was fine.

Thanks, Steve

el aguila 04/23/2012 06:02 AM

I did a long distance move for a Blue Spotted Jawfish in the winter. Got an insulated bait bucket; put fish and water inside in a bag in the bucket; and ran the air hose in with an exhaust air hose closing the top with a rubberband. This way I could keep water oxygenated without worrying about water spilling or slopping out by just using a bucket.

I kind of used the best of both options bag and bucket.

I also kept a thermometer in the bucket. If the temp started to dip, I would pour in a little hot water on the outside of the bag to adjust the temp.

gwstephens 02/04/2018 01:32 PM

Bait bucket

Would this work?
https://www.amazon.com/Engel-Coolers.../dp/B01IDOAPN6

Bret61081 02/05/2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwstephens (Post 25352334)

I wouldn't spend the $$ unless you will be using it often. I used a cheap styrofoam cooler from 7/11, lined it with a bag and cut a spot for the air bubbler hose. Ive also used a bucket with good luck too

ca1ore 02/09/2018 09:35 AM

Why would a bucket be better? The conventional wisdom for shipped fish is to keep the bag sealed as long as possible because the CO2 buildup lowers water pH and shifts the form of ammonia to ammonium ..... which is much less toxic. I would think, for long trips, that an unsealed bucket with an airstone would actually be the worst thing you could do. I've never given this a great deal of thought, so perhaps I'm missing something.

OrionN 02/09/2018 02:32 PM

If you drive and have the room, covered bucket with air pump. I deliver clowns to LFS this way 25-50 fish in the 5 gal bucket with cover but have a small hole to have air stone. They can live for long time like this, if you keep temp reasonably OK.

OrionN 02/09/2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca1ore (Post 25357166)
Why would a bucket be better? The conventional wisdom for shipped fish is to keep the bag sealed as long as possible because the CO2 buildup lowers water pH and shifts the form of ammonia to ammonium ..... which is much less toxic. I would think, for long trips, that an unsealed bucket with an airstone would actually be the worst thing you could do. I've never given this a great deal of thought, so perhaps I'm missing something.

No feeding, you not going to have much ammonia. The volume in a bucket is so much more than in a little bag.
IMO we worry about ammonia when we looking at 36+ hrs in small volume. Consider add ammonia binder for long long trip. Suffocation/hypoxemia trump over ammonia every time.

ca1ore 02/09/2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrionN (Post 25357478)
No feeding, you not going to have much ammonia. The volume in a bucket is so much more than in a little bag.
IMO we worry about ammonia when we looking at 36+ hrs in small volume. Consider add ammonia binder for long long trip. Suffocation/hypoycemia trump over ammonia every time.

Ok, all good points; makes sense. I've never transported anything more than an hour or two myself.