Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Fish Breeding Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Rearing Bangaii Cardinal Fry in a Breeder box (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2663907)

Sailfinner 01/09/2018 04:17 PM

Rearing Bangaii Cardinal Fry in a Breeder box

Hello, I'm new to Reef Central and I have a question, can I raise Bangaii Cardinal fry in Marina Large hang on breeder box, or is there a better box I could use. All info is greatly appreciated

kizanne 01/15/2018 01:17 PM

The problem isn't the hang on. It's feeding the babies. They'll eat newly hatched artemia and I'd throw in some copepods for nutrition. If you lined the holes where the artemia couldn't escape then it is doable (I think). I removed mine to their own 1 gallon container but then you have to worry about ammonia as a hang on you wouldn't have that problem. A fake urchin and a light can help keep the fish and food in the same place.

Be aware though the heavy feeding for the babies does create ammonia. I like to use greenwater for keep the brine enriched. Obviously in the take your couldn't do green water.

Sailfinner 01/18/2018 12:30 PM

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking about stopping the pump while I feed and then start it back up again after they finish.

Sailfinner 01/18/2018 12:34 PM

I will have brine constantly hatching so the fry always have newly hatched to eat. Would enriching the brine with selcon be an option as well?

kizanne 01/18/2018 03:09 PM

You say when feeding but the babies need to eat all day. At least I believe so based on my limited experience and reading. Welcome enrichment is doable and advisable. Remember bb don't eat the first few hours. I do know mine managed bb that were a day or two old after a week or so. I didn't try it earlier than that.

socalireefdood 01/19/2018 01:37 AM

Maybe you can setup a little small 5 or 10 gallon? might help with future cultures.

Sailfinner 01/19/2018 11:30 AM

The Cardinal fry will be feed 5 times a day, I don't think they need to eat all day, just multiple times. My male swallowed his eggs a couple days ago, I must've not fed him enough beforehand. I'll use all this advice for next time, thanks guys.:D

PeteStarks 02/07/2018 02:24 PM

I would highly recommend a small breeding tank in the future as well. Think of it as starting off with 80% success in keeping them alive with each choice giving you a + or - % to the chance of success. 1% is really all you need to succeed if you cut corners and roll the dice on a ton of factors, but wouldn't you rather go with the higher success rate range?

Sailfinner 03/16/2018 12:45 PM

Hey guys, my male released 20 fry about a week and a half ago in the breeder box and so far everything is going great. No fatalities and everyone is looking happy and healthy. Will keep you guys posted if anything significant happens.

Borntrippn 03/16/2018 03:29 PM

Thats cool. Are you a breeder of them?

Sailfinner 03/16/2018 07:17 PM

Not to sure what you mean by if I'm the breeder but yes I'm taking care of them and I own the mated pair if that's what your asking.:)

Sailfinner 03/16/2018 07:18 PM

Oh I understand now. No I'm not a breeder of them. This is my first time trying this. ��

kizanne 03/16/2018 08:33 PM

Good luck. I loved selling mine to my lads. I lost my pair to hurricane. Keep us updated.

Sailfinner 03/17/2018 06:45 AM

Wow, so sorry to hear that and for sure I'll keep you updated.

Sailfinner 03/24/2018 06:36 PM

Just an update: all are still going strong. None have died and they are all growing rapidly

kizanne 03/24/2018 07:05 PM

Awesome!