Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Disease Treatment (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Ich finally gone, How long should I wait before adding new fish (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896585)

pennyguy23 07/30/2006 02:02 PM

Ich finally gone, How long should I wait before adding new fish

I have an ich out break when both my Finnex heaters went out. I finally got the ich gone. How long should I wait before I can add any new fish. Would tangs be the worst Idea to put in there so soon after a break out?

jmaneyapanda 07/30/2006 02:33 PM

How long and what do you mean by gone? How do you know? You could add whatever you like, just quarantine. Tangs are prone to ick, but if its gone from your tank and you QT, it wont matter.

Personally, I dont think it will ever be gone from anyones tank. I think it can lay dormant and effect fish when they are stressed. But thats a whole other issue.

Andrew 07/30/2006 02:52 PM

Unless you let the tank sit fishless for 4 weeks then the ich is still there. The fish can still have ich but it may not be visable. I would set up a qt tank, put the fish in quarrentine and let the main tank sit fishless for atleast 4 weeks. ( qt for 4-6 weeks or longer )

BTTRFLYGRL 07/31/2006 06:12 AM

As Andrew stated, if your tank has been fallow for at least 4 weeks, I prefer 6, then you can add fish anytime...

BTW...Your heaters going out did not cause an ich outbreak..Ick is not a cold or a virus, it is a parasite..Stress will not cause ich.. Marine ich does not lay dormant, the higher temps of marine tanks usually causes this parasite to reproduce quicker than freshwater ich....And it IS possible to have an ich free tank. I have two
:D

pennyguy23 07/31/2006 07:26 AM

Sudden changes in temp will cause it and if your tank goes 8 degrees colder overnight then yes it can cause ich. And yes Stress also caused ich.

There are already fish in there and I know that ich doesn't every REALLY go away but I just wanted to know when I can add more fish to the tank. It is a fairly new tank and I have been trying to clear this up for sometime now and finally have for the moment. I just did't want to rush it. Thanks everyone I will wait a couple more weeks.

Psionicdragon 07/31/2006 07:54 AM

I¡@say 8 weeks fallow.

However, I am beginning to agree with Panda.

BrianD 07/31/2006 08:27 AM

This thread has been moved to the current forum.

jmaneyapanda 07/31/2006 08:33 AM

While the tank is fallow (no fish in it), increase the temp to the low to mid 80s or so. This will speed the metabolism and life cycle of the ick tomont cysts, and will aid in limiting them.

BTTRFLYGRL, I have to disagree. Unless you've had your fish for THEIR entire lives, they could have been exposed somewhere else, have these cysts laying in tissue, and ipso facto, be infected, although they are not showing the typical symptoms. I have a Chevron tang that NEVER showed any signs of disease until I introduce a yellow tang (after 8 weeks QT). Almost immediately, the spots arrived as the yellow harassed the Chevron. This same fish has shown spots every now and then for nearly a year and a half. Its still alive and otherwise fat and healthy. No other fish in the tank has ever shown spots, including the Yellow. You are correct, low temps dont CAUSE ick, they illicit it. Stress on your fish will allow ick to get a foothold. However, good water conditiions, proper diet, and anything else you can do to minimize stress will help top alleviate this ailment.

BTTRFLYGRL 07/31/2006 04:43 PM

Stress weakens a fishes immunity making it easier for a fish to become ill...However, if there is no ick in your tank, your fish will not get the parasite...Pretty simple really..

May I suggest Noga's Fish Disease Book, great reading..You'd be surprised how many parasites and illnesses appear as 'white dots'