Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Soft Coral Keepers (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=424)
-   -   Aussie finger leather received in trouble (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2654709)

Kactai 10/13/2017 03:59 PM

Aussie finger leather received in trouble

2 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

I got this Aussie finger leather in the mail today (shipment was delayed one day) and the stem/foot of the coral seems damaged like it's dying and detaching.

Is there anything I can do for this guy or is he cooked?

The supplier is very good and is m sure would issue a credit if it didn't make but I would like to implement emergency response measures if there are any.

Please let me know what you think. I was considering cutting the rot out and reattaching it to a rock with sollicone (I don't have any glue)

bull shark 10/13/2017 07:48 PM

IME seeing spicules is never a good sign.

I would frag it and use rubber bands or zip ties to secure the frags to discs or rubble.

Kactai 10/13/2017 09:10 PM

What would you use to cut? A scalpel or something? I'm going to attempt some surgery tomorrow. I've watched a tutorial and feel somewhat confident in attempting this. If it has not deteriorated too much I should get a few very nice sized frags. Should I do a dip? I've got coral RX pro.

zooman72 10/13/2017 09:30 PM

I have seen spicules on my finger leathers from time to time as they spread and "self-fragmented", so I would not assume the worst without giving it a chance to settle in - a little patience can sometimes be useful...

bull shark 10/13/2017 09:33 PM

Looks to me that the base has been avulsed. You could wait, but when you see necrosis or dissolution it will probably be too late to do anything.

A scalpel or a sharp utility blade washed to remove the oily residue would be good. Make clean cuts, avoid sawing. Try for 1 smooth cut surface which looks and feels solid to attach to the rubble or frag disk. Coral glue or silicone won't work because of the mucus slime. Wearing gloves is a good idea. I've never dipped any coral so I can't give any advice about that. Secure the frags enough so they don't float away, place in an area of moderate flow and you should be good.

Kactai 10/14/2017 07:26 AM

Thanks guys. I'm going to check it out today and perform some fragging or surgery as necessary. I'll try to remember to document it in case anyone is interested and/or runs it to this again.

Kactai 10/15/2017 04:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Did it. I hope it turns out well.

I pulled the leather and cut 1/2inch above the rotten section.i then took a rubber band and wrapped it to a price of rubble.

bull shark 10/15/2017 09:10 PM

Looks good. Should do well.