Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Plants & Macroalgae (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   ISO Sea Grass for display fuge (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651228)

NaClH2O Getaway 09/12/2017 12:57 PM

ISO Sea Grass for display fuge

Looking to see if anyone would like to share or sell any types of sea grass. I have a 40gal display fuge that I'd like to see a few varieties of sea grass in. I'm staying away from any calurpa species. Most Macro sites have been hit and miss.

THANKS!

flsalty 09/17/2017 01:25 PM

Have you looked at floridapets.com?

NaClH2O Getaway 09/21/2017 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flsalty (Post 25216690)
Have you looked at floridapets.com?

That was one of the places I looked. My goal is to have Manatee, Shoal, and Turtle grasses eventually. Floridapets was out of stock on the Manatee grass so as soon as they have it listed I may just order all three and have them shipped together. I got on here thinking someone may be cleaning out some over growth or something that they planned to get rid of some that I could take off of their hands.

Michael Hoaster 09/22/2017 10:41 PM

That's a better strategy for macros than seagrasses. Macros grow fast. Grasses, not so much. In three years of keeping them, I've never had so much that I needed to export some. So I've never had any extra. But I stumble on. Maybe in another year…

NaClH2O Getaway 09/22/2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster (Post 25222395)
That's a better strategy for macros than seagrasses. Macros grow fast. Grasses, not so much. In three years of keeping them, I've never had so much that I needed to export some. So I've never had any extra. But I stumble on. Maybe in another year…

Thank you, I did not think of that. I appreciate the feedback.

Michael Hoaster 09/22/2017 10:55 PM

You're welcome! Honestly, I didn't think of it either, going in. I just thought it would grow like weeds. I've had some good growth at times, but it's no caulerpa. Speaking of which, caulerpa prolifera looks similar to sea grass, is a lot easier to find, and grows fast, when it's happy.

flsalty 09/24/2017 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster (Post 25222400)
You're welcome! Honestly, I didn't think of it either, going in. I just thought it would grow like weeds. I've had some good growth at times, but it's no caulerpa. Speaking of which, caulerpa prolifera looks similar to sea grass, is a lot easier to find, and grows fast, when it's happy.

I'm kinda glad to hear that. I was shying away from including sea grasses in a macro display because I was afraid it might take off like crazy.

Michael Hoaster 09/27/2017 09:28 PM

I exchanged emails with John at Florida Pets. He's having difficulty finding manatee grass right now but he said to keep checking back. So maybe someday…

NaClH2O Getaway 09/29/2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster (Post 25227323)
I exchanged emails with John at Florida Pets. He's having difficulty finding manatee grass right now but he said to keep checking back. So maybe someday…

yea, I shot them an email as well, I'm expecting some disruption after all the storms out that way. I'll keep checking back and may just go with what they have for now and pick up the manatee at a later date. Thanks again!:thumbsup: