Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Gsp remains retracted... algae growing on it (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2667005)

seanbugeja 02/07/2018 02:33 PM

Gsp remains retracted... algae growing on it

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all... recently had a bad amonia spike... naturally aquarium went into a cycle. A new Kenya tree coral died on me....long story... however now my phosphate and nitrates are a bit elevated.

Nitrate 15 phosphate 0.08
Amonia 0 nitrite

Other parameters are perfect. All my corals are back to 100% however my gsp has been retracted for a week and a half. Im worried about it. Its having a lot of brown algae and a kind of white polyp as seen in the pic. What do you think is happening. what can I do? Thanks everyone

HBtank 02/07/2018 02:44 PM

GSP can not be defeated, GSP will survive.

Seriously. And yeah, they like to close for periods and scare you into thinking something is wrong. They fight off algae easy by re-opening, when they decide to.

swiftvision 02/07/2018 05:31 PM

Its your lucky day if it dies......which it won't.

They are a pest coral, period.

HBtank 02/07/2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftvision (Post 25355512)

LIES.

I love my GSP.... at the very end of a very long tonga branch... ;)

top shelf 02/07/2018 08:25 PM

Agree with the others it's a survivor. In my tank low flow/low light high flow/high light makes no difference and does well. If your that worried and want to be proactive you can blow it off with a turkey baster or use a soft bristle toothbrush to lightly brush it off. I've done this in the past and had it open next lights on. May have helped may have been coincidence who really knows.

Quote:

I don't agree with this either, I purposely glued it to my overflow as I believe it will look better and more natural covered in gsp then just a big black box in the center of the back wall. To each there own though I suppose.

seanbugeja 02/07/2018 09:16 PM

Thanks People

oldhead 02/08/2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HBtank (Post 25355338)
GSP can not be defeated, GSP will survive.

Seriously. And yeah, they like to close for periods and scare you into thinking something is wrong. They fight off algae easy by re-opening, when they decide to.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by top shelf (Post 25355667)
Agree with the others it's a survivor. In my tank low flow/low light high flow/high light makes no difference and does well. If your that worried and want to be proactive you can blow it off with a turkey baster or use a soft bristle toothbrush to lightly brush it off. I've done this in the past and had it open next lights on. May have helped may have been coincidence who really knows.

I don't agree with this either, I purposely glued it to my overflow as I believe it will look better and more natural covered in gsp then just a big black box in the center of the back wall. To each there own though I suppose.

I have a frag of GSP from my smaller tank that wouldn't grow. It has now been in my upgraded tank for 1 month and still not open.

FoxFace Fish 02/08/2018 11:00 AM

Ha you think you can kill GSP

Cari 02/09/2018 02:03 PM

Hank in there, GSP is very hardy. It will open when it’s ready.

Cari 02/09/2018 02:06 PM

[QUOTE=oldhead;25356121]I have a frag of GSP from my smaller tank that wouldn't grow. It has now been in my upgraded tank for 1 month and still not open.[/]

My GSP will open and look nice at low level/flow/low(er) light. However, it absolutely loves high flow/strong light. Just remember, if you don’t want it to spread, be sure to have it attach to its very own piece of real estate.😊

jayball 02/09/2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

LOL, says the guy with a xenia field in the back of his avatar.

Not that I disagree, I just had to play surgeon on my Micromussa Lord colony because I did not notice the GSP runner that attached and encrusted over a few of the Polyps.

OP, You can help it by blowing algae off it with a turkey baster or similar. You probably don't need to.

HBtank 02/09/2018 03:39 PM

GSP is slow and predictable, anyone who lets it become a pest is just lazy. Honestly. Yeah, new reefers may now know to place it, and learn when they do have to trim it back and restrict it, but I find it funny when experienced reefers "complain" about it.

DesertReefT4r 02/09/2018 10:47 PM

GSP is the weed of corals and it will grow in almost any conditions. Give it some time and it should open. I have had some cutting of a larger colony die on me but you know it when its dead, the purple base with crumble when touched and is no longer firm and slick. Yep thats right I killed GSP frags, dont know how. They will ramdomly close up for several days at a time for no apparent reason then open up in full green glory just as randomly.

FoxFace Fish 02/10/2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertReefT4r (Post 25357948)
GSP is the weed of corals and it will grow in almost any conditions. Give it some time and it should open. I have had some cutting of a larger colony die on me but you know it when its dead, the purple base with crumble when touched and is no longer firm and slick. Yep thats right I killed GSP frags, dont know how. They will ramdomly close up for several days at a time for no apparent reason then open up in full green glory just as randomly.

You sir a a freaking wizard

seanbugeja 02/13/2018 09:12 AM

Its still closed with algae growing eventhough I turkey baste it every 3 days. There's the white strings still coming off it...they look like small feather dusters. Im afraid im losing my gsp rock

FoxFace Fish 02/13/2018 09:24 AM

Pic?

seanbugeja 02/13/2018 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is.thanks

FoxFace Fish 02/13/2018 09:32 AM

what are your parameters

personally I love gap one of my three favorite corals so I wanna help you

seanbugeja 02/13/2018 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Kenya tree recently died on me during transportation.. a friend cooked it by leaving it exposed to a lot of heat. while he was bringing it. caused a spike in amonia and nitrite. Has Been under control for 2 and a half weeks.

Nitrates and phosphates still high still high though as a result of the cycle. Nitrates 20 phosphates 0.08. that could be causing the algae problem. However algae only on gsp. Rest of the coral are doing perfect as you can see in the pic. Thanks my friend

FoxFace Fish 02/13/2018 09:45 AM

Have you checked for parasites second have you gotten any new lights lately and what is you alkalinity and your salinity my star polyps got mad one time because of my alkilinity being off

seanbugeja 02/13/2018 10:55 AM

Alkalinity is 7.8. can't see any parasites except those White things extended from it. Dunno what they are. Salinity is 1.023

FoxFace Fish 02/13/2018 11:36 AM

hmmm you could try cleaning your hand (no soup) and wave your hand at it real quick try and knock some stuff off.

Someone could correct me on this but you could try giving it a quick coral dip

Finally you could try moving it maybe more or less flow or more or less life... does your toadstool extend its polyps? also how was it doing before the incident

also I can not really tell from the picture but those white strings coming off it kind of bug me I had seen it once on something. but the pic is not super clear if you do another picture turn of all blue channel

HBtank 02/13/2018 11:59 AM

Start by blowing them off with a turkey baster.

seanbugeja 02/13/2018 12:03 PM

http://bishopsconservatory.edu.mt/wp...184858__01.jpg

Here is a better res picture. They don't blow off

jayball 02/13/2018 12:29 PM

Still hard to tell but those may be hydroids. Google digitate hydroids to see if you can confirm.

Sent using Tapatalk.