Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Fish Breeding Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Breeding Pair of Onyx Clownfish (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1985383)

jonnybravo22 03/03/2011 02:30 AM

Breeding Pair of Onyx Clownfish

I've decided to jump in and attempt to raise the current clutch of eggs from my breeding pair of Rod's Onyx percula clownfish.

i've never raised or attempted to raise fry before, but i'm excited to try. i've read up on some other experiences on this forum and found them very helpful.

they laid eggs last weekend and i expect the eggs to hatch this weekend or at the start of next week.

i just started my rotifer culture tonight, with the starter kit from reed mariculture.

the rotifers were in an ice pack containing temperature lock packaging which seemed pretty fancy. also in the package was the rotifer diet and other items i ordered, -- 1 quart of Nanno and the Otohime kit.

Otohime doesnt need to be refrigerated does it? It's powder and pellets so i wouldnt think so, but it was all included in the temp sealed packaging.

Also - how do you tell if you have living rotifers? i have a new 100 macro lens but even that didnt show me much. i see swathes of brown on the bottom and getting swept up w/ the current from the airstone.

The rotifer water from reed came in at about 1.024 salinity. i mixed up water to 1.018, and mixed the two in a medium sized bucket.

Parents have been laying eggs for about 6 months now.

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/s...2/IMG_7424.jpg

Momma:
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/s...2/IMG_5134.jpg

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/s...2/IMG_7495.jpg

Fingers crossed, i'll come back with updates?!?!! :eek1::D:wave::spin3:

Nam Nguyen 03/03/2011 09:39 AM

Can't wait to see your success. Good luck

ktg113 03/03/2011 09:47 AM

I am getting a pair that have been mating for a while and might try to raise some my self jumping on to watch for update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madean 03/03/2011 10:10 AM

Please document as much as you can, and share as much as you can, that would be awesome information to pass on as others have in this forum. Im not sure if anyone has attempted and shared their experiences with this forum on breeding onyx percs before. I apoligize in advance if others have. Im sure every type of clown is a little different and it would be nice to know h what the differences are. Ie meta stages, grow out stages, behavior patterns, just good information to know so that when people do attempt this maybe we all could be a little more succesfull.
Where did you get your pair from. I have been trying to get a pair of rods onyx and I cant seem to find them.

jonnybravo22 03/03/2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nam Nguyen (Post 18430629)
Can't wait to see your success. Good luck

thanks! I HOPE to have some success to share!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktg113 (Post 18430664)
I am getting a pair that have been mating for a while and might try to raise some my self jumping on to watch for update

good luck if you try it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by madean (Post 18430777)
Please document as much as you can, and share as much as you can, that would be awesome information to pass on as others have in this forum. Im not sure if anyone has attempted and shared their experiences with this forum on breeding onyx percs before. I apoligize in advance if others have. Im sure every type of clown is a little different and it would be nice to know h what the differences are. Ie meta stages, grow out stages, behavior patterns, just good information to know so that when people do attempt this maybe we all could be a little more succesfull.
Where did you get your pair from. I have been trying to get a pair of rods onyx and I cant seem to find them.

i'll try to document as much as i can. there are a number of very good threads here, particularly on Ocellaris clowns that i've seen that do a fantastic job of documenting so check there if you havent already.

jonnybravo22 03/03/2011 10:56 AM

perhaps someone can help explain what i'm seeing...

i started the Rotifter culture last night as mentioned. how do i tell if they are alive? i see zillions of small brown specs, but they seem to be just moving with the current of the air stone. i also have a sizeable pile of "dirt"(??) on the bottom of the bucket.

the water does look a bit clearer this morning than it did last night however. this part is harder to judge though, i'm tempted to let it clear up a bit more just to make sure something is eating in there but i also dont want to crash as a result of not feeding them enough. i'll probably add more green to the water soon but wanted to toss the question to you all. thanks.

birddog486 03/03/2011 03:18 PM

I've found with rotifers, less is more. You don't need to add more nanno until the water is almost clear. Over feeding will crash them sooner than underfeeding in my experience.

I use a rigid airline that only gives off about 2 bubbles per second in the rotifer bucket. With this slow of a flow using a flashlight toward the side of the bucket you should be able to see some movement of the specs..

Or you can invest in a cheap microscope, then you can see if you've got a healthy rot culture by the percentage of rots with eggs.

jonnybravo22 03/03/2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birddog486 (Post 18432637)
I've found with rotifers, less is more. You don't need to add more nanno until the water is almost clear. Over feeding will crash them sooner than underfeeding in my experience.

I use a rigid airline that only gives off about 2 bubbles per second in the rotifer bucket. With this slow of a flow using a flashlight toward the side of the bucket you should be able to see some movement of the specs..

Or you can invest in a cheap microscope, then you can see if you've got a healthy rot culture by the percentage of rots with eggs.

Thanks for your input!

well i took a simplified method i just took a pippette sample of the rotifers and put it in a tiny plastic container and used a magnifying glass. they are alive! so that's good!

i'll do a small water change tonight on the culture

they are so much smaller than i ever expected them to be. even with a magnifying glass it's hard to make out their movements.

oceancube1 03/03/2011 07:16 PM

that is a very nice onyx pair,,,, goodluck welcome to the breeding club!!!

reefstew 03/03/2011 08:07 PM

x2 with birddog, you don't want to use an airstone with rotifers.(rigid tubing) I change about 1 gal. of water a week in a 5 gal. bucket culture.
Otohimi does not need to be refrigerated. If you purchased A, you can start feeding the fry on day 5.
Good luck!

ktg113 03/03/2011 09:09 PM

Just put my pair in the tank lights went out about twenty mins later. Pics up tom. The lady who gave them to me had them for five years almost six

jonnybravo22 03/03/2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceancube1 (Post 18433783)
that is a very nice onyx pair,,,, goodluck welcome to the breeding club!!!

thanks! the male is pretty young too, surprised he's spawning already. he's about 1 3/4 years old (was super tiny when i got him, so much so that the female almost ATE him! put the little guy in her mouth for a few seconds!) She is about 2 1/2 years old (so like 9 months older).

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefstew (Post 18434051)
x2 with birddog, you don't want to use an airstone with rotifers.(rigid tubing) I change about 1 gal. of water a week in a 5 gal. bucket culture.
Otohimi does not need to be refrigerated. If you purchased A, you can start feeding the fry on day 5.
Good luck!

good info thanks very much reefstew. on the otohime i got the kit that came with like 5 different types, all different sizes, including A. curious - what's the opposition to airstones for rotifers? I dont have any rigid tubing ATM but can get some if needed. my "airstone" is the wooden block variety.

reefstew 03/04/2011 07:17 AM

If you use an airstone then the SMALL bubbles can trap the rotifers in a foam almost like protein skimmming. It is safer the buy rigid tubing & use that, also easier to sterilize.

jonnybravo22 03/04/2011 07:23 PM

thanks. does it typically require you to feed the rotifers daily to keep the green color?

jonnybravo22 03/04/2011 08:01 PM

also i've heard people mention "saving the gunk" at the bottom of the culture bucket. really? i would think you should toss / siphon that out during the water change, no?

this is me 03/04/2011 08:02 PM

Hi Jonny,
I'm glad to hear that you are attempting to breed and raise these clowns. Rod's Onyx are beautiful and you don't see them available much anymore. I'll be sure to keep checking this thread for your update.
Best of luck.

reefstew 03/04/2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnybravo22 (Post 18439151)
thanks. does it typically require you to feed the rotifers daily to keep the green color?

Yo Jonny,
You got a lot of reading to do. Check out the info on where you purchased your rotifers from & also check out the thread on cultures in this forum. It is a fine line on feeding every day just enough to keep a strong culture.

Powerboat 03/05/2011 01:17 PM

Congrats! Please post some more pic's of your clowns and the blue anemone. They look awesome. Good luck with the breeding.

Lukel 03/05/2011 01:34 PM

Good Luck to you.... although i am jealous.... i am gonna havta start putting tripple x movies on for my clowns..... mabey they will get the hint....

jonnybravo22 03/06/2011 01:13 AM

no hatch yet. i'm hoping it'll be next light's out. got the rotifers going and larval tank ready.

jonnybravo22 03/07/2011 05:02 PM

soooo it wasnt last night. will try again tonight.

seafarm 03/07/2011 07:31 PM

We've got a really simple recipe for culture rotifers at www.Rotifer.com. Click on the big pink button :) I think it will answer most of the questions you have.

jonnybravo22 03/07/2011 07:54 PM

thanks. i'm in the harvesting stage now to maintain the culture. curious -- do other tank inhabitants besides larval stage fish eat rotifers as well or should i just wash them down the drain?

do grown fish eat them? do SPS eat them?

seafarm 03/07/2011 08:34 PM

Many organisms in your reef will feed on rotifers. Soft, SPS, LPS, and NPS corals; Sponges; Gorgonians; Ricordea; Shrimp; Anemomes; Stars. When you don't have larvae to feed, feed your reef - it will love it :)

jonnybravo22 03/07/2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seafarm (Post 18453758)
Many organisms in your reef will feed on rotifers. Soft, SPS, LPS, and NPS corals; Sponges; Gorgonians; Ricordea; Shrimp; Anemomes; Stars. When you don't have larvae to feed, feed your reef - it will love it :)

hm, interesting. thanks for the input. might give it a try. dont want to turn my tank into a culture though so i might just toss in a few and see what happens :) i didnt realize SPS ate animals. i wonder if anthias would eat them... might experiment there too.

on another note, those eggs must be comfy quarters because these guys still haven't hatched! it has to be tomorrow night (because i'm starting to lose my mind waiting)! if the night they layed (2 saturdays ago) was night 0, tonight is night 9, tomorrow night 10. i think either 9 or 10 is when i saw them last spawn, i recall it being longer than the 8 days avg. i have seen quoted in various places.