Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advanced Topics (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Isopropyl alcohol (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2663871)

fishdip22 01/09/2018 10:19 AM

Isopropyl alcohol

So I have been using isopropyl to clean tank equipment such as metal tongs for moving stuff around wipe out the buckets after use and on glass items such as the 10mil vial used for the Hanna kits. is this a bad idea or is it safe to use?

MondoBongo 01/09/2018 02:22 PM

i usually just use warm water for most things. if i need to deep clean more i usually go with vinegar.

the little vials for test kits i usually just rinse well with RODI.

fishdip22 01/09/2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MondoBongo (Post 25326466)
i usually just use warm water for most things. if i need to deep clean more i usually go with vinegar.

the little vials for test kits i usually just rinse well with RODI.

I was using Vinegar but hate the smell on my hands.

mcgyvr 01/14/2018 10:08 AM

Totally safe/fine to use.. The alcohol just quickly evaporates and is a good disinfectant..

I too just use vinegar and just wash my hands :p

Tripod1404 01/14/2018 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishdip22 (Post 25326193)
So I have been using isopropyl to clean tank equipment such as metal tongs for moving stuff around wipe out the buckets after use and on glass items such as the 10mil vial used for the Hanna kits. is this a bad idea or is it safe to use?

Is it pure isopropanol? It wont damage equipment or hurt you, but high percentage alcohol solutions would cause proteins (and some other organic compounds) to precipitate and stick to surfaces below them. So by cleaning with those you might cause residue to form inside the vial.

This is why 70% ethanol (not pure ethanol) is used for sterilization.

MondoBongo 01/15/2018 07:41 AM

i'll be honest and say that most things i don't bother doing deep cleanings on each time i use them. tools, test vials, etc... usually just get rinsed with RODI to clean the salt off, then dried and put away.

old tanks, mixing barrels, things that have been submerged for a long period of time, usually get a vinegar bath, then bleach bath, then good rinse and soak in RODI.

the only time i clean implements well is if i'm forced to use them between tanks (QT and DT) and don't want to cross contaminate. although i usually just use two sets of tools whenever possible to remove that possibility.

fishdip22 01/15/2018 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripod1404 (Post 25331587)
is it pure isopropanol? It wont damage equipment or hurt you, but high percentage alcohol solutions would cause proteins (and some other organic compounds) to precipitate and stick to surfaces below them. So by cleaning with those you might cause residue to form inside the vial.

This is why 70% ethanol (not pure ethanol) is used for sterilization.

91%

Tripod1404 01/15/2018 11:29 AM

You might want to dilute it to 70%. Or at least rinse the vial very well with water before applying the alcohol.

josephxsxn 01/15/2018 11:53 AM

I am a big fan of Hydrogen Peroxide, its my cleaner of choice. Murders algae, bacteria via oxidation, and then breaks down to be harmless after a few days as it reacts to everything it contacts. Buy a big jug at the hydroponics store of ~31% and mix it down to 3%. Just use gloves + eye shield if your playing with anything greater than 3%...

fishdip22 01/15/2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josephxsxn (Post 25331955)
I am a big fan of Hydrogen Peroxide, its my cleaner of choice. Murders algae, bacteria via oxidation, and then breaks down to be harmless after a few days as it reacts to everything it contacts. Buy a big jug at the hydroponics store of ~31% and mix it down to 3%. Just use gloves + eye shield if your playing with anything greater than 3%...

Would it leave any trace amount's that might skew a test?

josephxsxn 01/15/2018 12:46 PM

I don't wash my HANA tubes with it, they get just a normal soapy wash + RO rinses. But I may start now that you mention it, I wouldn't be worried about it with them just wash with RO afterwards. Any other equipment or rocks I wish to blast I simply wash off with RO or SW after their soak.

Potsy 01/27/2018 07:49 PM

I sprayed down a freshwater tank with isopropyl alcohol to rid it of mycobacteria (fish tb). Once it evaporates it's gone. Use 70%. More than that and it evaporates before fully sterilizing.

rocsec1 01/27/2018 09:38 PM

I just use rodi but I would think it would be fine.

PeteStarks 02/03/2018 12:46 PM

I use the 70-91% alcohol when i really want to make sure something is clean. I normally rinse and dry afterwards and have never had an issue. I do think that it is over kill for most things and a good warm/hot water rinse is good for 99% of clean up jobs.

porterrick 02/06/2018 08:09 AM

Isopropyl Alcohol is fine since it evaporates quickly but if you are looking for an eco friendly alternative, then vinegar is your best choice. It's a really good disinfectant and cleaner!

avery155 02/07/2018 09:53 PM

Isopropyl alcohol, followed by a Rodi rinse because I'm paranoid.