Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Yellow Wrasse reef safe? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1194738)

myst 08/27/2007 11:26 PM

Yellow Wrasse reef safe?

I also have a baby Blue Tang, clown goby, and a pair of black & white clowns, with some soft corals.

RokleM 08/28/2007 06:47 AM

I've heard mixed reviews on their aggressiveness, but I can state mine is very coral friendly. He's actually the primary inhabitant of my frag tank.

Not a great picture, but here's my Yellow Corris Wrasse hanging out in the frag tank (right side).

http://mad-skillz.com/aquarium/06.16.2007-6.jpg

prugs 08/28/2007 07:34 AM

I have a model citizen as well. A very beneficial cleaner of nasties.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...pot_wrasse.jpg

myst 08/28/2007 09:01 AM

Thanks, mine seems to be doing well, nipping at the rocks all day long and has also eaten the mysis I fed the tank.

My specimen has 4 black spots from the front of the top fin to the tail, is this a different type? Most of the ones I have seen only have 1 spot.

RokleM 08/28/2007 12:03 PM

Mine has 3, maybe 4, and also has a white underside. There are so many names for this fish (and I've seen two different species call it), it's hard to tell. I'm no expert on this one ;

copps 08/28/2007 12:59 PM

These are two different fish, neither of which are in the Coris genus. That is a long misused common name for these guys. Unlike Coris genus wrasses, these guys stay small and are ideal for aquariums. I believe the sometimes "not reef safe" designation on these guys comes from them sometimes posing a danger to small ornamental shrimp, but I've never seen this behavior.

The one I have (and prugs' above) is Halichoeres chrysus from the Western Pacific mainly. The one with the white underbelly that RokleM shows is the closely related Halichoeres leucoxanthus from the Indian Ocean (although their distribution overlaps with H. chrysus in Indonesia). Both are identical in behavior and everything else.

Smaller specimens have three spots (four if you include their eye) that they will lose as they mature... same fish though.

Anyway, here's my guy from last year when he was a little guy... thus all the spots, with my female Centropyge colini in the background...

http://xs118.xs.to/xs118/07352/Colini1.jpg

xxtriggermanxx 08/28/2007 02:43 PM

Not to steal the thread, but copps do you have a more recent picture ? I hear the head of this fish will start to change and have a striped look to it. is this true?

RokleM 08/28/2007 02:57 PM

Mine has a very faint rainbow of what I'd refer to as "pastel" colors. They are primarily on the cheek per say (start right behind the eye and go straight backwards).

copps 08/28/2007 03:22 PM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10653830#post10653830 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xxtriggermanxx
Not to steal the thread, but copps do you have a more recent picture ? I hear the head of this fish will start to change and have a striped look to it. is this true?
No recent shots, but this is true. On these two species it's just as Rokle states... very faint... even in the most stud of males... Another very close relative in the same genus that enters the hobby from Kenya is Halichoeres iridis, commonly known as the radiant wrasse... same habits as these two species but the body is red and the face is yellow with a much more pronounced facial pattern, even on small individuals. The price tag is higher because plane tickets for fish from Kenya are expensive, but it's still in the $50 range... Here's a recent shot of my friend Sanjay's radiant wrasse... a stunner!

http://xs118.xs.to/xs118/07352/radiant_sanjay.jpg

thor32766 08/28/2007 04:36 PM

have a friend with one who has been a model citizen.

Akrite 08/29/2007 09:02 PM

I've sen these fish alot and always wanted one.

LukFox 08/29/2007 09:15 PM

My LFS has a full grown adult in their frag tank with really bright and distinct facial markings like that of the radiant wrasse posted above. I once had a mid-sized one that was beginning to get its mask until my radiant wrasse decided she didn't want him around anymore.

Bret61081 08/29/2007 10:07 PM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10653089#post10653089 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by copps
These are two different fish, neither of which are in the Coris genus. That is a long misused common name for these guys. Unlike Coris genus wrasses, these guys stay small and are ideal for aquariums. I believe the sometimes "not reef safe" designation on these guys comes from them sometimes posing a danger to small ornamental shrimp, but I've never seen this behavior.

The one I have (and prugs' above) is Halichoeres chrysus from the Western Pacific mainly. The one with the white underbelly that RokleM shows is the closely related Halichoeres leucoxanthus from the Indian Ocean (although their distribution overlaps with H. chrysus in Indonesia). Both are identical in behavior and everything else.

Smaller specimens have three spots (four if you include their eye) that they will lose as they mature... same fish though.

Anyway, here's my guy from last year when he was a little guy... thus all the spots, with my female Centropyge colini in the background...

http://xs118.xs.to/xs118/07352/Colini1.jpg

I hate to steal the thread but how long have you had the colini angel and hows it doing! Ive always loved this fish but they dont have a very good track record....expecially for the price!

650-IS350 08/30/2007 08:44 AM

The yellow coris ( bananna wrasse, canary wrasse ) is being used by a lot of zoanthid keepers now to control a lot of pests such as nudis and a bunch of other zoanthid eaters.

I also plan to get a pair myself.. plus the added color in my tank too.

copps 08/30/2007 09:51 AM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10664932#post10664932 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bret61081
I hate to steal the thread but how long have you had the colini angel and hows it doing! Ive always loved this fish but they dont have a very good track record....expecially for the price!
I've had this pair since last year that I received from Frank Baensch of www.rcthawaii.com. This is the pair he spawned back in 2005 and remains the only C. colini ever successfully spawned in captivity (male is on the right). This species is widespread but uncommon throughout its range and found in deep water. Most wild collected individuals do not adapt as a result of improper collection and handling. These guys were properly collected in Fiji and continue to thrive. It's a very unique dwarf angel relative to others... sort of like the Paracentropyge subgenus...

Sorry for the mini jack!

http://xs112.xs.to/xs112/07086/colini_pair3.jpg

u418936 08/30/2007 02:26 PM

I've had a yellow coris wrasse for a couple of years. He never bother corals, but as he's grown, he's developed a strong taste for small hermit crabs. His small snout is perfect for digging crabs out of their shells. Luckily, he doesn't bother big crabs or snails, so I haven't had to remove him from my aquarium.

karl 02/16/2011 11:29 AM

I was looking at a Halichoeres leucoxanthus (white belly according to copps) at the store on Monday. what a beautiful fish, but particularly because of the spots...how long before they loose their spots?

frankpayne32 02/16/2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl (Post 18351369)
I was looking at a Halichoeres leucoxanthus (white belly according to copps) at the store on Monday. what a beautiful fish, but particularly because of the spots...how long before they loose their spots?

This thread is four years old. Might have a hard time getting the original posters to respond. Wish I could help you.

copps 02/16/2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl (Post 18351369)

The spots will get progressively smaller and go away at around four inches or a little more give or take... still a beautiful fish though... Oh and the Centropyge colini pair mentioned above four years ago is still spawning nightly for me! :)

Gary Majchrzak 02/18/2011 06:39 AM

Halichoeres leucoxanthus

anybody know of this species being kept successfully in a group/harem ?

will mature individuals bother emerald crabs?

incloud 08/17/2013 06:40 PM

Anyone know if the yellow coris wrasse will get along with a six line wrasse. I saw one today and after reading up on them, would love to add one to my reef. My six line is very mellow and has only shown short aggression toward a cleaner wrasse I had. It slowly starved I think because it just disappeared. Thanks for any input. Really like this fish.

prugs 08/18/2013 10:10 AM

Sixline's are just plain evil IMO. It will most likely kill the yellow wrasse.

Laddy 08/25/2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incloud (Post 21817677)
Anyone know if the yellow coris wrasse will get along with a six line wrasse. I saw one today and after reading up on them, would love to add one to my reef. My six line is very mellow and has only shown short aggression toward a cleaner wrasse I had. It slowly starved I think because it just disappeared. Thanks for any input. Really like this fish.

This is a relative question, as in a 300g I would have no problem mixing a wrasse or two, but in, say a 75g you're asking for trouble in my opinion.....one will probably jump.

jerseyboy 03/04/2015 01:29 PM

the one with a white belly is a different species. I have heard it called a merinque wrasse

jerseyboy 03/04/2015 01:31 PM

I have a yellow coris 3 1/2"-4 1/2", 8 lined wrasse 2" and a hogan wrasse 2" in a 110 gal and have no problems with aggression