Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Setting Night mode on a Vortech MP40 (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1785426)

kmu 01/29/2010 12:09 PM

Setting Night mode on a Vortech MP40

I read the manual and didnt find info on how to set it up, it doesnt say on the controller...

How is it done?

THX in advance

CoralMonkey 01/29/2010 12:43 PM

Hold down both buttons on the master. When it starts flashing white then release.

peiloy3196 01/29/2010 01:00 PM

You can download the manual here: http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/...manual_1.1.pdf

On page 4 you will find what you are looking for.

Basically you have to wait until the exact time that you want to start night mode. Then hold mode and set at the same timeuntil the controller starts blinking red white and blue. Once this happens you then have to hold mode and set again until it starts breathing white.

karsco 01/29/2010 01:01 PM

Yep pretty much what monkey said, when you push and hold the set & mode buttons at the same time (about 3 seconds) the light will blink red, white & blue. You then push them again and it will set it in night mode, then it will have a pulsating white light and you are done...

CoralMonkey 01/29/2010 02:44 PM

Good call, I forgot about the flashing red/white/blue.

SueAndHerZoo 03/07/2010 11:57 AM

I, too, just purchased and installed my Vortech MP40 and was wondering how to set the different available modes.... thanks for the info - I'm printing it as I type.

Newbie question: I have my Vortech MP40 in a 92 gallon corner tank with live rock, a few fish, and just a few beginner coral frags. What setting do I want the Vortech to be on - just the standard, steady flow at the appropriate power setting? (full power is too much right now, I've got it at the lower end).

Thanks for any input.

Sue

tkeracer619 03/07/2010 12:00 PM

Try lagoon or reefcrest and adjust it to about 3/4 power and see if that is too much.

SueAndHerZoo 03/07/2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkeracer619 (Post 16723113)
Try lagoon or reefcrest and adjust it to about 3/4 power and see if that is too much.

Thanks for the info - I'm going to have fun "tinkering" with this amazing piece of equipment. I'm going to mount the control box to the inside of the cabinet door -- I imagine that's what most everyone does, right?

Sue

tkeracer619 03/07/2010 12:07 PM

Yeah but the holes are a bit too small. I run a couple sizes up drill bit through the holes before mounting to make things easier.

SueAndHerZoo 03/07/2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkeracer619 (Post 16723146)
Yeah but the holes are a bit too small. I run a couple sizes up drill bit through the holes before mounting to make things easier.

Thanks..... time to recruit hubby and his drill bits. :)

Mike31154 03/07/2010 12:36 PM

Make sure that wherever you mount the driver, it will not be exposed to any moisture. If there's a sump in your cabinet, be careful.

SueAndHerZoo 03/07/2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike31154 (Post 16723273)
Make sure that wherever you mount the driver, it will not be exposed to any moisture. If there's a sump in your cabinet, be careful.

Oops. Yes, the spot I had in mind is VERY close to the sump. As a matter of fact, if I mounted it up high on the door it would possibly even be exposed to some splashage and salt creep. Am I worried about it being exposed to "humidity" or actual water droplets? I would think any area under the cabinet would be bad due to all the water, heat from equipment, salt spray, etc. :(
Sue

DevilBoy 03/07/2010 03:03 PM

I mounted my drivers on the sides of my canopy on the outside. Looks real nice

SueAndHerZoo 03/07/2010 03:13 PM

Actually I never thought of mounting on the outside -- I'm so accustomed to trying to hide everything, but since this is a nice looking unit with "pretty colored lights" I don't necessarily have to hide this one. Good idea!
Sue

ryshark 03/08/2010 02:04 AM

I mounted mine on the wall behind the tank, I have enough room to squeeze my hand back there from the side to change the settings. Or I can get it through the cabinets in the front too.

rbnice1 03/08/2010 10:12 AM

Mine are mounted on the wall as well. Above the tank so you can see them. They are bright when all the lights are off in the room but during the day/evening its no big deal.

sfboarders 04/12/2010 04:48 PM

How accurate is the Vortech timer? At 9:10PM I enabled night mode. Next day at 7:10AM I am still in night mode. That same day at 9:30PM and I'm still in reefcrest mode.

davocean 04/12/2010 05:22 PM

FWIW, the ocean currents only appear to be less at night, but this isn't the case, it's usually just less wind on ocean surface.
Most seem to agree that there is greater benefit from maintaining good flow at night.
I run reefcrest 24/7

Mike31154 04/13/2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfboarders (Post 16941631)
How accurate is the Vortech timer? At 9:10PM I enabled night mode. Next day at 7:10AM I am still in night mode. That same day at 9:30PM and I'm still in reefcrest mode.

I use the night mode too, more to save power and wear & tear on the pumps. Doesn't seem to have any negative effects on the livestock in my system that I'm aware of. I've also found the time to creep from the original set time. Gets a few minutes later later every day, so no, it's not that accurate. I'm hoping they've sorted that out with the newer ES drivers. I don't find it's that much of an issue, since it's fairly easy to reset the starting time for night mode if I wish to do so.

kimber45 04/13/2010 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SueAndHerZoo (Post 16723318)
Oops. Yes, the spot I had in mind is VERY close to the sump. As a matter of fact, if I mounted it up high on the door it would possibly even be exposed to some splashage and salt creep. Am I worried about it being exposed to "humidity" or actual water droplets? I would think any area under the cabinet would be bad due to all the water, heat from equipment, salt spray, etc. :(
Sue

thats exactly where mine are being mounted. imo they are to gawdy for the outside especially the new eco drivers.

sfboarders 04/13/2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike31154 (Post 16943791)
I use the night mode too, more to save power and wear & tear on the pumps. Doesn't seem to have any negative effects on the livestock in my system that I'm aware of. I've also found the time to creep from the original set time. Gets a few minutes later later every day, so no, it's not that accurate. I'm hoping they've sorted that out with the newer ES drivers. I don't find it's that much of an issue, since it's fairly easy to reset the starting time for night mode if I wish to do so.

Well I guess they did not fix it with the ES drivers because that's what I'm using.