Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Meanwell LDD driver: for those who want to dim to 0 using Arduino (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2222702)

pwreef 10/11/2012 01:17 PM

Meanwell LDD driver: for those who want to dim to 0 using Arduino

This is a little test video I made using Meanwell LDD-1000H and Bridgelux BXRA-40E2200 Neutral White array:
http://youtu.be/ek-nXz5Eltw
The array itself is very powerful, so its not going to dim to moonlight brightness, but regular 3W LEDs do. They barely glow at 1/255 level. Enjoy!

bhazard451 10/11/2012 06:07 PM

What power supply is connected to the LDD? That is exactly what I want to do in my next DIY setup. There isn't much info out there in using separate power supplies and led drivers like this one, even though it is probably the better way to go.

pwreef 10/11/2012 06:19 PM

In this particular example its a 48V 1.25A Meanwell power supply. The biggest reason for using is is that that array needs 36V minimum. If you are building a smaller unit, you can use a old laptop power supply for example that outputs 16-18V. With that you will be good to probably 5 LEDs per driver. Looks like AI is built similar to that. For my larger build I am using a Switching Power Supply 200w, 25V @ 8.3A from Stevesleds. With that one I am using 7 XT-E LEDs per string just fine. You can find many like it on ebay as well. This is pretty much what Ecotech uses. The beauty of these drivers is that they dim to 0 and cost under $5 each.

bhazard451 10/11/2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwreef (Post 20775233)
In this particular example its a 48V 1.25A Meanwell power supply. The biggest reason for using is is that that array needs 36V minimum. If you are building a smaller unit, you can use a old laptop power supply for example that outputs 16-18V. With that you will be good to probably 5 LEDs per driver. Looks like AI is built similar to that. For my larger build I am using a Switching Power Supply 200w, 25V @ 8.3A from Stevesleds. With that one I am using 7 XT-E LEDs per string just fine. You can find many like it on ebay as well. This is pretty much what Ecotech uses. The beauty of these drivers is that they dim to 0 and cost under $5 each.

Awesome.

Ok help me out here so I can understand better. I am trying to mimic 2 of the new ecotechs with around 84 leds over my 120 gallon.

Could I get a 350w 48v 7.3a power supply and 7 of these 48v version drivers? How would I hook them all up to the power supply, and how would I make 4 dimmable channels out of it connected to an arduino like Typhon Boostled, or 7 channels with two arduinos?

Can I also mix and match different current drivers, like the 600 mah version along with the 1000H?

pwreef 10/11/2012 08:01 PM

The drivers just hook up in parallel to the power supply. The more you connect, the higher current PS you will need. How high exactly, depends on what current your LEDs are consuming. In theory 84 *3W = 240, so you should be well under that PS limit.
You can mix and match. If you are going to dim them, there is no reason to get anything but the 1000mA version. The only danger is that if you loose your Arduino or other dimming input connection, the driver will go full current. If you have some LEDs that cannot handle that, they will probably fry.
Arduino Mega 2560 that I am using has 14 PWM outputs. That should cover all possible colors you want and more. The controller I am using is linked in the video. He tried to post on here, but got removed because he is collecting donations. Parts cost about $50 including the touchscreen, clock shield and the Mega board from e-bay.

bhazard451 10/11/2012 09:32 PM

I think I might just try that controller just for the led control. It would equal out in price to a Typhon Boostled anyway... and it is much nicer. The outlets for the wavemaker.. etc look too complicated for me. Thanks!!

bhazard451 10/15/2012 01:09 PM

These ldds are incredibly hard to find right now. Only 1 place had the 1000mah ones, but no one has the 700 and 600mah ones which I need too. I prefer the pre-wired versions, but it looks like i'll need to search both kinds.

WingoLED 10/15/2012 06:40 PM

The driver sounds very economical and more suitable for larger build comparing to my 9W 680ma driver!!! Definitely need to get my hands on them.

bhazard451 10/15/2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingoLED (Post 20788730)
The driver sounds very economical and more suitable for larger build comparing to my 9W 680ma driver!!! Definitely need to get my hands on them.

They must be too new for people not to be using them. They could be used for big or small builds just the same. A lot of places are saying 4-6 weeks for the next shipment. I was lucky to find 9 of them, some wired, some not.

Considering that they can do 48v just fine, I will be using just 9 of them for ~100 leds.
9 very small drivers that can dim to 0% = $54
350w-400w 48v power supply = $40 Total = $96

To light up 108 leds with much larger Meanwell D or P = 9 x $34 = $306!

Huge savings and better dimming.... with current up to 1000mah. No need for driver adjustment either, and they have 600mah and 700mah versions. These are perfect for DIY led and an arduino or typhon.

bhazard451 10/15/2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwreef (Post 20774218)
This is a little test video I made using Meanwell LDD-1000H and Bridgelux BXRA-40E2200 Neutral White array:
http://youtu.be/ek-nXz5Eltw
The array itself is very powerful, so its not going to dim to moonlight brightness, but regular 3W LEDs do. They barely glow at 1/255 level. Enjoy!

A huge thank you in showing this driver and controller. I ordered all the parts for the build. Its going to look incredible with the touch screen, on screen channel sliders, full dimming, and lunar cycle. Total cost was less than $700, and will have a similar setup as two Radion pros for over $1,200 less.

WingoLED 10/16/2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhazard451 (Post 20788889)
A huge thank you in showing this driver and controller. I ordered all the parts for the build. Its going to look incredible with the touch screen, on screen channel sliders, full dimming, and lunar cycle. Total cost was less than $700, and will have a similar setup as two Radion pros for over $1,200 less.

How much it costed to get all the parts for the controller?
Where can I find a bill of parts? I have an un-used Arduino, if possible want to use it for the project.

I am seriously thinking of getting one to fool around along with some of the drivers. I build couple controller before but this one seems cooler with a color touch screen!!! Note: I properly not using this controller for reefing though.

Report back your progress please

Kudos to the OP for such a wonderful teaser.

bhazard451 10/16/2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingoLED (Post 20792099)
How much it costed to get all the parts for the controller?
Where can I find a bill of parts? I have an un-used Arduino, if possible want to use it for the project.

I am seriously thinking of getting one to fool around along with some of the drivers. I build couple controller before but this one seems cooler with a color touch screen!!! Note: I properly not using this controller for reefing though.

Report back your progress please

Kudos to the OP for such a wonderful teaser.

~$60 for all the controller parts. The controller is linked in the video. There is a manual to help set it up too in the link.

mattclark82 10/16/2012 07:23 PM

Nifty find. I was thinking of adding TV and OCW on my RB/NW. To convert all my ELN to LDD with new.PSU, would be almost as cheap as one ELN. Plus dimming down to 1/255. Nice. I haven't ordered from Mouser for year, but they have a ton of the LDD drivers, in L and D models at all different currents.

bhazard451 10/16/2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattclark82 (Post 20792578)
Nifty find. I was thinking of adding TV and OCW on my RB/NW. To convert all my ELN to LDD with new.PSU, would be almost as cheap as one ELN. Plus dimming down to 1/255. Nice. I haven't ordered from Mouser for year, but they have a ton of the LDD drivers, in L and D models at all different currents.

Mouser is double the cost of some other places.

None of them have the -hw versions with the wires pre-attached right now. They all mostly have the -h version where you need to solder the wires on yourself.

WingoLED 10/16/2012 10:19 PM

bh,

Now you have to give up the source for the LDD before you consume all drivers!!!! LOL

WingoLED 10/16/2012 11:42 PM

I am loving this project more and more as I can now use my extra Arduino that has been laying around for over a year. The design was directly based on the board I have here. Hehe.

bhazard451 10/17/2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingoLED (Post 20793286)
I am loving this project more and more as I can now use my extra Arduino that has been laying around for over a year. The design was directly based on the board I have here. Hehe.

It is a beautifully designed controller, and the LDDs are the perfect drivers for it for my application. I can't wait to get it running.

You could also use an arduino led shield to save even more space and money. Just look for "Arduino 6 channel led shield" on ebay.

I prefer the LDDs over the shield, as I can attach them to a heatsink and run them at 48v, and I'm not very experienced with arduinos.

Landsailor 10/17/2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhazard451 (Post 20793039)
Mouser is double the cost of some other places.

On some stuff, yes, but they will price match.

All of the big component retailers share pricing information. I don't know if it's directly swapped or they just spider the competition's websites.

Case in point. A terminal we use in the shop requires a specific pin extractor. Our standard cheap one mangles it, so you have to use the right one. I used to buy ten a year or so at $80ish each.

Well, I went to order the yearly stock one year and the price had exploded to $231! I called our rep and asked what the heck happened. She did some research and found that they had raised their price because another supplier did. A few months and vicious cycles later and they cost almost four times as much as they should. She fixed it, then it was interesting to watch the prices lower across the web.

BTW, if you're looking for the cheapest price on components www.octopart.com is your friend.

Dave Thebrewguy 10/17/2012 10:40 AM

Does anyone know how much current is drawn by the pwm terminal? Wondering how many of these I can safely put on a single channel that is rated for 40mA. I've seen somewhere that the driver only needs 3 or 4mA but would like to confirm that before I plan on putting 6 LDDs on a single channel.

bhazard451 10/17/2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Thebrewguy (Post 20794306)
Does anyone know how much current is drawn by the pwm terminal? Wondering how many of these I can safely put on a single channel that is rated for 40mA. I've seen somewhere that the driver only needs 3 or 4mA but would like to confirm that before I plan on putting 6 LDDs on a single channel.

No idea, but that would be good info. I would assume between 3-10mA per driver.

Dave Thebrewguy 10/17/2012 04:18 PM

Meanwell is nice enough to list "QUIESCENT INPUT CURRENT IN SHUTDOWN MODE(max.)" as "1mA at PWM dimming OFF and 24VDC input" on the data sheet uder the dimming section, I'd like to have the max input current when on as well.

pwreef 10/17/2012 04:56 PM

That's how much the driver itself consumes when off. Not PWM input current.

Dave Thebrewguy 10/18/2012 07:58 PM

Oops, I over-thought it and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

I did notice something else in the data sheet that has me worried. It specs PWM input at 2.5V to 6V, my Reef Angel puts out a 10V PWM signal. I've seen a couple arduino controllers mentioned, but has anyone tried the LDD series driver on a 10V PWM signal as opposed to a 5V signal?

fetta 10/19/2012 09:21 AM

DO YOU HAVE TO GET DIFFERENT SIZED DRIVERS, FOR THE DIFFERENT LEDS AM I CORRECT ON THIS. (DEPENDING ON WHAT mA THE LED NEEDS)

pwreef 10/19/2012 11:59 AM

If you do not connect anything to the driver DIM pin it will run at 100%. If you use a controller, then it does not matter. Just remember to dim LEDs below their max values.