Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tunze (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Osmolator optical sensor not working (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651153)

jsousa 09/11/2017 05:34 PM

Osmolator optical sensor not working

Let me preface...big fan of the Osmolator as I own 3, 2 of which have been running for more than 6 years each. My latest though has been running on my newest tank for about a year and the optical sensor is no longer stopping the pump from pumping and until it hits the secondary float sensor and trips the alarm, it doesn't it stop. I tried cleaning the sensor as per the manual with vinegar to no avail. It's driving my wife nuts. :-)

Anyway I can get a replacement for this sensor? Or is there something else that can be done?

Thanks
John

rvitko 09/12/2017 08:25 AM

I would start with the self diagnostic test of the optic sensor.

1) With the sensor completely wiped dry plug in the controller.
2) All 4 lights will flash and it will beep, a single light will show for 1 seconds and then the normal 15-20 second pump run at startup will begin.
3) This light that is on one second is the optic sensor status, green means pass, yellow means it is marginal, red means it failed.

Assuming it passes, the next test is to catch it in the act of an overfill, if you wipe your finger under the sensor and the fill stops within 5 seconds, the cause is bubbles. The sensor should be relocated to as calm and bubble free of a location as possible. Be sure that the top off hose is not near the optic sensor as bubbles are added by the splash of the fill.

jsousa 09/12/2017 06:41 PM

Thanks for your help Roger. I just let the optical sensor dry over a couple of hours with the unit unplugged. Then, as you pointed out in your instructions, plugged it back in. Of course, instead of the 4 lights flashing, the unit just lit yellow and began to pump water into the tank, as it should since it seems dry. Am I missing a piece of the instructions? Is there a way to trigger the actual self-diagnostic?

Thanks
John

rvitko 09/13/2017 08:33 AM

Assuming this is a unit that was made in the last 5 years, when you first plug it in with the optic sensor clean and dry (out of water) all 4 lights will flash and it will beep, it will show 1 light for about 1 second and then the pump will run for 15-20 seconds with the yellow light showing. The 1 second light is the optic sensor status. Green is what we want to see, it means it passed, yellow usually means it is dirty and this can be as simple as finger prints, red means it failed, usually a broken wire or crusted over by algae or calcium deposits.

jsousa 09/13/2017 09:19 AM

I bought it from Premium Aquatics. I have 3. It is possible, I guess, that I could have the older unit hooked up on this particular tank but I didnt think so.

Anyway, is there a way to update this unit or at least replace the 5017?

rvitko 09/13/2017 10:12 AM

It is possible and I would discount a replacement but I suggest we first try to repair it, if you send it in, as long as it is not major water damage or very old, I can generally repair them.

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753

jsousa 09/13/2017 10:22 AM

I dont believe there's any water damage. But I am concerned going without a unit for as long as it will take to fix. Almost rather purchase a replacement to make sure I'm covered. Can you send me a PM with a price for replacement so I can figure out the right approach?

I'm in Orlando, BTW. Not sure what you think the round trip my be on this.

rvitko 09/13/2017 10:29 AM

If you send it Priority Mail, controller only, turnaround is typically 5 business days. I know here mail was really messed up by Harvey so there could be some delays due to Irma. I will PM.

110Oceanic 02/02/2019 02:42 PM

Hello Roger! I am having the same issue but I have had my unit for some time. Not sure how long. Anyway, I followed your instructions on your earlier post. I remove the sensors from my sump cleaned and dried them. I power up the controller and all the lights come on and it beeps for a second or two, then the low level red light comes on for a second the the yellow pump light comes on and the solenoid from my ro tank opens for 10-15 second then the green level light comes on and stays on. I believe the optical sensor is bad. Do I need to send in my controller or could you send me an optical sensor and I repair it myself? If I need to send it in please forward me the instructions for the process and the address it would need to be shipped to. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks

rvitko 02/04/2019 11:24 AM

The factory really frowns on us sending optic sensors as they want to be sure the units are calibrated to the optic sensor they are paired with. How old is it?

Felixc 07/09/2019 07:41 PM

Hi Roger,

I did the self diagnosis you outlined and got a red light for the sensor, after cleaning and carefully inspecting the sensor it appears water has seaped in and created a small separation. I was able to easily pull the back part away from the clear optical part and saw that one of the 3 wires has broken off. This would explain why the sensor wouldn't detect low lever to turn on the pump. I live in Canada, how would I go about in getting just the sensor replaced? Your advice is appreciated.

I bought this Osmolator second hand and has been flawlessly working for over two years. Not sure exactly how old it is.

rvitko 07/10/2019 08:53 AM

If the sensor is completely clear, this would be from 2010-2012 production, they have been black since 2012, the clear was an idea that a wider field of view could eliminate bubble sensitivity but the clear resin stays rubbery and does not harden like the black resin. I would contact Xenia North America, they are the distributor for Canada.

Felixc 07/10/2019 09:04 AM

That's correct the sensor is completely clear and when pulled apart I did find that the resin is still soft, almost like silicone. I guess the clear resin didn't hold up over time and water got through and rusted the wire connections and loosing contact. I have a second Tunze Osmolator on another tank that has a black sensor and it's still working flawlessly from 2005. Great product by the way. I will contact Xenian North America, would you happen to have their contact or website? Thanks for the detailed information on the sensor issue.

rvitko 07/10/2019 10:46 AM

xeniainc.com

The main issue with the clear was that it just did not improve the product, we had hoped it would reduce sensitivity to bubbles, because it is a soft cure epoxy, it is not as strong, we switched back to black in early 2012.

Felixc 07/10/2019 03:12 PM

Is there an option to replace the clear sensor with the black one in my case? I've emailed Xenian, waiting for a response.

rvitko 07/11/2019 09:02 AM

Yes, from this time period, a calibration is not possible, this predates the system on a chip design. The main limitation is it would need to be soldered to the board. The part is $29.39 US, the main issue would be shipping, shipping this part from the US to Canada costs more than $20.

Felixc 07/11/2019 10:00 AM

I am still waiting for Xenia to response.

In the meantime and as a contingency, would you be kind and send me a quote for the part and shipping (USPS) to T2B3J1. Please PM the total cost and payment method, this gives me an option if Xenia can't help with this. Thanks Roger.