Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How long does it take spray paint to FULLY cure? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022258)

alizarin 01/18/2007 03:42 PM

How long does it take spray paint to FULLY cure?

----Short version----:
Anybody know how long it takes spray paint to FULLY cure? As in not being able to detect the spray paint smell when you're 6 inches away?

----Long version----:
I've got what they call "multiple chemical sensitivity". When I'm around certain chemicals, such as ones in spray paint, I get flu like symptoms... very unpleasant and it doesn't take much to set it off.

Anyhow, I painted my new DIY hood with "appliance grade" spray paint. I wore a respirator and I was fine. I let it dry for a day outside. Then when I brought it inside I got really sick, I waited it out for a couple days but still no good. So I let it sit in a garage for three weeks and I bring it inside and the thing still smells like spray paint and makes me a little sick.

My corals aren't very happy with the PC lights I rigged together while waiting for the hood to be ready so I need to figure out a solution. Anybody have any idea how long I have to give this thing before it doesn't give off any detectable fumes? Or how to speed it up short of sanding it down and painting it with water based brush on paint?

Pbrown3701 01/18/2007 03:48 PM

yikes - If it hasn't curred in that amount of time, then i doubt it ever will. You may consider going over it with a polycoat of some type to seal it in. Just an idea

Psychographic 01/18/2007 03:58 PM

It depends on what type of paint it is. Enamels can take up to about 30days to fully cure, although they should be free of fumes in about a week.

douggiestyle 01/18/2007 04:27 PM

i see you are in florida? try letting it bake in the sun.

Happan 01/18/2007 04:33 PM

Humidity will play hell with paint drying. If there is any humidity in the air, paint will not cure very well. I would suggest heat lamp, or even some type of heater near your painted project in the garage.

It could be bad paint as well. Good luck either way and bummer on the not feeling well =/

alizarin 01/18/2007 04:38 PM

I just read cound the can. It says "Appliance Epoxy Super Hard Enamel". Does that mean anything to anybody?

douggiestyle 01/18/2007 04:41 PM

the only thing i know about them is that they need extra coats applied apx. within an hour or after 2 weeks. anything in between will cause the paint to blister.

heat lamp is a good idea.

Happan 01/18/2007 04:42 PM

Is it a 2 part Epoxy? If so, you need to add the harder. If it's a pre-mix type, you probably should have used a primer first.

That type of paint does best they have a metallic surface to adhere to. Not sure I would have used it on any type of wooden surface

douggiestyle 01/18/2007 04:47 PM

ferns are supposed to remove the bad stuff. have you heard this? anyways dr. bell swears by it. chemical sensitivty, you should have ferns placed around inside the house.

Scooter12ga 01/18/2007 04:50 PM

IME spray can appliance epoxy takes at least 12 hours before it can be handled, at least 24 hours to be 'fingernail' hard, and up to 60 days to achieve full hardness.

Since you're sensitive to paints maybe you can try topcoating it with a 2-part urethane clearcoat for automotive use. Since they're 2-part they have a liquid hardener and chemically cure like an epoxy - no waiting for solvents to 'gass out' of the finish. The automotive ones I've used fully cure within hours and you can sand/polish them within about 12-24 hours - SUPER hard finish and no detectable smell. You shouldn't need much (~ 1 pint) and it should be fairly cheap at the LAPS (local auto paint store ;) ). Since it's for wood just get the cheapest one they have. You'll probably also want to scuff sand the existing finish first to ensure proper adhesion.

HTH

alizarin 01/19/2007 07:18 PM

Good fern idea douggiestyle - I went and bought a couple plants. Worst case I've got better Feng Shui going ;-) I have a HEPA filter with 16lb of specially VOC treated carbon but for some reason it just didn't work on those fumes.

I think I'm going to go buy some low VOC paint, sand a bit of this stuff and seal it in like Pbrown3701 suggested rather than leaving it in the sun for another few weeks.

Thanks for the help all - The DIY crowd always knows their stuff!