Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anemones & Clownfish (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   magnifica anemone Question (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2665756)

McCune 01/26/2018 04:24 PM

magnifica anemone Question

So I am looking at getting a magnifica anemone for my tank. Tank will house anemones and a few fish. Has anyone had any issues with the mag eating their fish.

I have heard that to keep the mag in one place you need a flat smooth rock.
I have a nice flat rock on top but it’s jot smooth. I know some have used putty to make the rock flat is this the behest practice

D-Nak 01/26/2018 04:50 PM

My mags never ate any fish, but I don't think there's any guarantee that they won't.

A smooth rock is the best, and putty can definitely help, but assuming there aren't deep crevices, the mag should be fine.

McCune 01/26/2018 05:03 PM

Will my QDMP40 work or would there be a better choice for powerhead

D-Nak 01/26/2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCune (Post 25343728)
Will my QDMP40 work or would there be a better choice for powerhead

I personally like Gyres for anemone tanks because the flow is typically more laminar, and less direct as with an MP40. You can place Gyres high in the tank without them sucking in air. MP40s that are too high in the tank will create a vortex and you end up with bubbles all over the tank.

Also, a MP40 can chop up a nem that gets caught in it. IME with Gyres, if a nem gets caught in it, it does far less damage.

reefsponge 01/27/2018 10:35 AM

Mine has eaten both a juvenile foxface and kole tang. I think these 2 were both poking the bear by grazing to close. Very sticky effective tentacles.

OrionN 01/29/2018 08:36 PM

My many Magnifica anemones have never eat any fish. Only Haddoni or Gigantea ate fish in my tank.
For attachment, any reasonable fat surface will do especially if there is plenty of light ( like right under a 400 W MH and plenty of water movement will do well.

elegance coral 01/30/2018 08:57 AM

I've been keeping magnifica for many years. Only lost one fish, a yellow tang, to them.
IMHO, the most important part of placing a magnifica is putting it on a pedestal where it can't detect a path to higher ground. If it can reach out and touch the glass or other rocks, it's likely to go on a walk about. They are not likely to move down hill. So, if they're placed on top of a column, with nothing around them, they are very likely to stay there. Good random flow, and a point source of light, like a MH, as Minh pointed out, will also help to keep them in place. Given the right environment, they will stay put for years on end.
HTH
Peace
EC

Kinetic 01/30/2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elegance coral (Post 25347160)
I've been keeping magnifica for many years. Only lost one fish, a yellow tang, to them.
IMHO, the most important part of placing a magnifica is putting it on a pedestal where it can't detect a path to higher ground. If it can reach out and touch the glass or other rocks, it's likely to go on a walk about. They are not likely to move down hill. So, if they're placed on top of a column, with nothing around them, they are very likely to stay there. Good random flow, and a point source of light, like a MH, as Minh pointed out, will also help to keep them in place. Given the right environment, they will stay put for years on end.
HTH
Peace
EC

Every week, my magnifica will walk down the pedestal and do a circle around, then go back up. He usually does this when the lights go off and climbs back on top of the pedestal after the lights come back on in the morning. Good thing I have no corals around there yet =)

Pavlo 02/13/2018 04:07 PM

Lost a few fish to mine. Naso tang was the biggest but also lost a few gobies, chromis and other smaller fish.

davocean 02/13/2018 08:21 PM

The only time I ever lost a fish to a mag was an overly excited chromis chasing food when I placed mysis just as my vort kicked up towards it, since then I place food farther away.

I have 2 MP40QD's and have vorts for years and never had an issue, though I do exactly as mentioned keeping a pedestal up high specifically scaped for a mag, so no wandering at all.

elegance coral 02/16/2018 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinetic (Post 25347521)
Every week, my magnifica will walk down the pedestal and do a circle around, then go back up. He usually does this when the lights go off and climbs back on top of the pedestal after the lights come back on in the morning. Good thing I have no corals around there yet =)

Something must be off. Light, flow, water chemistry....... The anemone should not be wasting that much energy. I would be trying to solve the problem before the anemone runs out of gas.

OrionN 02/16/2018 01:35 PM

^^^I agree^^^

Kinetic 02/16/2018 01:37 PM

I have no idea. It hasn't moved in 3 weeks. But every so often it'll do a lap when the lights are off. For awhile it was moving once a week, but always ended up on top of the pedestal.

It's been 3 weeks since it moved last, and nothing changed.

Swayze27 02/16/2018 08:43 PM

I have two good size h.mags and both are next to each other and are at the highest point and in moderate to heavy flow. Have not hardly moved since I placed them probably a year ago. I'm missing a few tangs, lol. Witnessed the larger mag eat a small vlamingi tang. I think it's been bad timing on the tangs part though. They swim between the nem and the powerhead and if they are there when the powerhead pulses then I think they zig instead of zag and it's over. Never had a clown eaten though, lol.

brad 02/16/2018 09:20 PM

My mag is on a rock that is neither flat nor smooth. It has moved less than 2 inches from where I put it 3 years ago. To my knowledge, it never ate a fish.

Mirror Pond 02/17/2018 06:36 PM

My 11 year old mag has never ate a fish as far as I know. My gigs and haddoni are another story.

OrionN 02/17/2018 09:59 PM

I keep a number of Magnifica since 1999. None ever eat any fish. Like Mirror Pond, my Gigantea and Haddoni are another story.