Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Coral Propagation and Aquaculture (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Cutting Sarcophyton at the stalk? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2167679)

Larry Grenier 05/08/2012 11:39 AM

Cutting Sarcophyton at the stalk?

I bought a good-sized mushroom leather from a local guy. It's head is about 5" across and it "stalk" or foot is 10" long and curved! In the previous owner's tank, the stalk was behind some rocks where it laid-down in the sand and then curved-up just before the head. I'd like to cut the stalk down to more like 5" and super-glue it to a small flatish rock so it stands a little nicer (more erect) and can be easily moved.

1) Good idea or bad idea?
2) High success rate for the top-half after cutting the stalk?
3) Will the "foot" likely grow a new head?

I've fragged Sarcophyton before but never cut the whole top-half off before.
Yes, I know to do the cutting in a seperate container.

Thanks for your advice.

cfredallen 05/08/2012 12:14 PM

super glue does not work on leathers. You will need to use a toothpick or something similar and insert it through the stalk about 1/4 to 1/2 inch above where you cut it and then use rubber bands to lightly attach it to the rock. usually takes about 2 weeks for it to fully attach itself to the rock. Once it is attached you can remove the toothpick. can also wedge it between 2 rocks until it attaches but the toothpick works best for me.

insanefishguy 05/08/2012 12:26 PM

Personally, I do not like rubber bands because of the constant tension and ability to pull through if not careful. I would get some zip ties and stab them trough the stem and pull it closed til the leather just barely touches whateveryou are attaching to. Don't worry if it's a little loose because once the leather reinflates it should be fine. Just recheck it then

insanefishguy 05/08/2012 12:51 PM

Now to answer your other questions, it's a fine idea. I've done it to remove over grown leathers from big rocks. In my experience, any piece of leather can regrow polyps and form a nice new piece. I would put my success rate pretty darn close to 100% with leather frags. They are darn near bulletproof if you ask me. Only problem I ever had with one was when it got so huge that detritus kept settling in the middle and rotted a little hole in it. I cut the piece right down the middle and made some frags

jeff@zina.com 05/09/2012 09:41 AM

I prefer to leave a leather frag (more like a cutting) in a low-flow area with rubble and let it attach, but all these methods work. Keep the base attached to whatever it's already on.

Jeff

Tahoe Reefer 05/09/2012 04:48 PM

When making frags I prefer to sew them to a rock with 2 - 3 stitches per pieces. When they get to over grown I chop off the heads and the stalks grow new polyps, expect some molting and give it a couple of weeks to grow a new head in medium to strong currnet. When they are sewn down ou can get away with higher current and IME they heal and grow faster in medium to strong flow.

insanefishguy 05/09/2012 05:17 PM

I agree with the medium to strong flow to help with the "shedding". Otherwise sometimes I need to help them

ItsNotJustFish 05/26/2012 07:56 AM

yes you can chop off the entire top and the bottom will grow back it just takes a while to become whole again but i dont recall ever having a problem
i used to use fishing line for attachment onto a rock but if you use fishing line be careful not to put too much pressure as it would just rip through