Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   New to the hobby. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2669796)

PitViper 03/05/2018 07:38 PM

New to the hobby.

So I’m new to the hobby. I’ve been on other forums. And asked questions but now that I have my first tank set up it’s time to get into deep discussions about the subject.

Because of space constraints we are using a 10 gallon tank with a Fluval 206 canister filter. Well more then enough for the system filtration. Have two rocks that are seeded already with live sand. As well as two rocks that have the coralline already on them. From my understanding the coralline will take a few months to actually start seeding the rest of the rock. Which is expected.

As this is totally different from fresh water tanks I’m curious. So From experience of others what am I to look forward to in my first couple of months? I’ve put two crab into the mix. And started the processes of the ammonia and such already.

SereneAquatic 03/05/2018 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PitViper (Post 25381472)
So I’m new to the hobby. I’ve been on other forums. And asked questions but now that I have my first tank set up it’s time to get into deep discussions about the subject.

Because of space constraints we are using a 10 gallon tank with a Fluval 206 canister filter. Well more then enough for the system filtration. Have two rocks that are seeded already with live sand. As well as two rocks that have the coralline already on them. From my understanding the coralline will take a few months to actually start seeding the rest of the rock. Which is expected.

As this is totally different from fresh water tanks I’m curious. So From experience of others what am I to look forward to in my first couple of months? I’ve put two crab into the mix. And started the processes of the ammonia and such already.

Have you read the stickies on the forum for new tanks? Lots of info there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PitViper 03/05/2018 08:57 PM

Stickies

I was wondering what those were. And what kind of info. But now that you mention it I am going to be taking a look at them. Thank you.

Kentech5 03/05/2018 09:46 PM

For the first month I would just ride out the cycle and see what life shows up from the two rocks with coralline on them. You’ll usually go through a few algae blooms and those crabs may not survive the cycling process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PitViper 03/06/2018 04:22 PM

Crabs

Yea I realize that about the crabs. Might be a loss. But we shall see. I did my first test last night and the process has started. Ammonia started to rise so now it’s just the waiting game. Do you have corals?

~RuSh~ 03/06/2018 04:39 PM

First couple of months are just a waiting game. You wait for the cycle to complete, you wait for the first few algae blooms to pass, you wait for new fish to quarantine...

Lol. But in all actuality, its fun because everything is new. I remember the first time I saw an aiptasia anemone, and I was like sweet! Lol. Ah noobs. We all start there.

If you have a moon light led its fun to turn that on around 8-9 after dark and see what little creatures come out after the main lights are off. My wife and I would do that almost every night for the first few months just looking for something new to pop up.

PitViper 03/06/2018 07:03 PM

That’s what is what I’m most excited about. Think next paycheck I’m going to get a 6400k LED light. Mane help this along just a tiny bit. But def want something with the moonlight anyway that way we can do as such as well. I’m going to be getting the bag of pods so that I can try my hand at a mandarin goby. Wife is absolutely in love with them. But realize that it takes patience with them. So we will see what happens with that lol.

~RuSh~ 03/06/2018 07:27 PM

I'm no mandarin expert, but I'm fairly certain a 10g won't sustain a mandarin for long.

Have you checked out some of the beams work led fixtures? They are cheap - and not suitable for corals, but you could probably find one with a moon light switch for under 50 bucks.

~RuSh~ 03/06/2018 07:31 PM

https://www.amazon.com/0-50W-Beamswo...light+aquarium

I wouldn't expect this light to do much, but it has 10k lights, blue lights and is cheap.

PitViper 03/06/2018 07:48 PM

I was actually looking at a marineland 6400k just to get started. But I like that light as well

Bent 03/06/2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PitViper (Post 25382536)
That’s what is what I’m most excited about. Think next paycheck I’m going to get a 6400k LED light. Mane help this along just a tiny bit. But def want something with the moonlight anyway that way we can do as such as well. I’m going to be getting the bag of pods so that I can try my hand at a mandarin goby. Wife is absolutely in love with them. But realize that it takes patience with them. So we will see what happens with that lol.

Mandarin will starve in a 10g.

ramseynb 03/07/2018 04:44 AM

New to the hobby.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bent (Post 25382676)
Mandarin will starve in a 10g.

+1

10g is WAY too small. I would say 60g+ with a nice sized refugium to keep up the pod supply.

On the light, why are you wanting 6700k? That’s very much in the red spectrum and likely to grow a lot of algae (would be good for a fuge) but most people would choose a spectrum between 14-20k with a few liking 12k. I have my LEDs cycle from 20k all the way to 12k (high noon) then back to 20k before night time. I like to see the colors change throughout the day, but corals don’t look their greatest under 12k. 6700 is going to make them look very drab (and possibly not provide them enough from the blue end of the spectrum).

EDIT: You would likely be better off with a cheap “Chinese black box” LED light for coral off of eBay or Amazon. Do a search on the forum for them. Also, you could probably find a used Kessil or Aqauillumination light that would allow you to keep any coral or clam. I wouldn’t waste my money on the Marineland freshwater fixture, unless you want a lot of hair algae and drab colors. ;)

PitViper 03/07/2018 09:29 AM

The light thing was just an idea. That’s all. Never had an LED light. But I do have a pair of metal halides that I’m using for the tank. The 10g is because of space constraints. We don’t have a big place and with two rowdy children it’s a little easier to manage because of them.

Uncle99 03/07/2018 09:52 AM

10g is fine, but will limit the type and number of inhabitants you can keep to a small few.
In addition, small water columns change rapidly change so keep An eye on your water consistently, because of its size, less forgiving...

PitViper 03/07/2018 10:01 AM

Yea we are both going to keep a constant eye on it. As I learned my lesson with my sons freshwater fish that was in it. And seeing how fast it changed. Scares you a bit. But I’m only having maybe MAYBE three fish in it. Really haven’t chosen which ones I want in there though.

Uncle99 03/07/2018 10:16 AM

Great, we wish you tons of fun with your tank.
Call on the members if you need us!

PitViper 03/07/2018 03:51 PM

Ok major question. What are the starfish looking things on the glass that I see in a lot of fish tanks? And are they beneficial? Or good or harmful in any way?

Kentech5 03/07/2018 06:03 PM

Those are most likely aster is starfish. They can reproduce in your tank pretty easily. Some people consider them useful cleanup crew members but others think at least some types of asterism star may eat coral. I’m not a huge fan of them but others have them I their tanks with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PitViper 03/07/2018 06:12 PM

So generally speaking they are good for the tank then?

Bent 03/08/2018 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PitViper (Post 25383478)
So generally speaking they are good for the tank then?

Depends on the sub species.

Some are detritus eaters, some are predatory.

It’s impossible to tell the sub species apart by looking.

There are more subspecies of detritus eaters than predatory ones.

Chances of being beneficial are good.

Uncle99 03/08/2018 10:10 AM

My take on starfish is a "better left in the sea" approach as most ( but not all) don't survive in captivity to long, maybe 12-18 months at best. Anything that multiples fast I remove, as I don't want these things to use up valued space, but that's just my take. Some are predatory, some can pop a clam with easy, some annoy corals, and some do a great job of mixing sand....

PitViper 03/08/2018 02:17 PM

Ok so here’s something else. I have had my tank up and running for about a week now. Ammonia had risen to .25 and nothing else. I’ve also added a raw shrimp in to the tank to start to help the cycle move a long a little faster. Should I do a water change now? Or wait for another week or two?

Bent 03/08/2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PitViper (Post 25384232)
Ok so here’s something else. I have had my tank up and running for about a week now. Ammonia had risen to .25 and nothing else. I’ve also added a raw shrimp in to the tank to start to help the cycle move a long a little faster. Should I do a water change now? Or wait for another week or two?

Patience grasshopper. Patience.

ramseynb 03/08/2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PitViper (Post 25384232)

No water change until there is 0 ammonia and nitrite. By that point, you should have some nitrate so do a hefty (20-50% - depending on how high the nitrates are) water change.

PitViper 03/08/2018 02:54 PM

Roger that. Thank you very much