Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Zoanthids (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   zoa eating nudis! (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2023808)

Lynnmw1208 05/24/2011 02:22 PM

zoa eating nudis!

So I got a nice frag for $9.99 at my LFS and I was wondering why this particular frag just kept closing. Of course I thought it was the many amphipods and such that live underneath it that walk across often. Today I looked a little closer and saw a moving head!! this thing looked EXACTLY like my zoa's skirt! I wish I could've gotten a pic but it squished as soon as I used tweezers to take it off :/ I dipped the coral to be sure. Pretty little things but man were my zoas mad!

Anyone have pictures of what eggs look like? I tried to check the coral as well as I could, but didn't see anything nor did I know what to look for. anyway, here's a pic of the coral before, but I don't see any pests. It's still opening as we speak from the dip and me poking at it lol. :lol2: Interesting that these 2 nudis were only one this frag when I have a huge zoa rock and a smaller frag right next door. maybe they preferred this one.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_q...0/DSC_0619.JPG

CUZ 05/24/2011 02:36 PM

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/v...i026Medium.jpg

Lynnmw1208 05/24/2011 02:55 PM

thanks for the picture! I don't believe I saw any of those. The bases looked clean. makes me wonder where these guys came from. maybe there was 2 eggs I didn't see.

MikeandNicole 05/24/2011 03:04 PM

Flat worm exit is a very effective dip against zoa eating nudis. It nukes the adults instantly. You may have gotten lucky with a few adults but I would take a real close look at it in the upcoming days. If you can move it to a more visible area in the tank it would help.

~RuSh~ 05/24/2011 03:05 PM

What kind of dip did you do? Rx?

Lynnmw1208 05/24/2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeandNicole (Post 18817736)
Flat worm exit is a very effective dip against zoa eating nudis. It nukes the adults instantly. You may have gotten lucky with a few adults but I would take a real close look at it in the upcoming days. If you can move it to a more visible area in the tank it would help.

Thanks for the tip!! I will definitely keep an eye on them. I think there may have been a couple of eggs that hatched as I didn't see any problems for 2 weeks since I got them. well see though! I just hope that was the only ones I had. I'll make sure to watch the other frags as well. luckily my zoas are right up front and center.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~RuSh~ (Post 18817738)
What kind of dip did you do? Rx?

I used seachem's reef dip. When I dipped the coral in, the nudis appeared to have died instantly but they were stuck on the frag as they were gooey. I'm sure this dip doesn't do much for eggs though.

mfinn 05/24/2011 08:07 PM

Sea Chems Reef dip is not a good dip for killing the zoanthid eating nudi.
There are several chemical dips that have some success. My favorite atm is Flat Worm Exit in a 3x to 4x the recommended dose. It can be used as a dip or a whole tank treatment in extreme cases.

Lynnmw1208 05/24/2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfinn (Post 18818936)
Sea Chems Reef dip is not a good dip for killing the zoanthid eating nudi.
There are several chemical dips that have some success. My favorite atm is Flat Worm Exit in a 3x to 4x the recommended dose. It can be used as a dip or a whole tank treatment in extreme cases.

good to know! thanks. If I start seeing them pop up everywhere I may just use it in tank.

mfinn 05/24/2011 08:57 PM

It's easier on everything if you can dip all at once outside the tank. FWE is pricey ( to do a whole tank treatment) and it is hard on critters, especially your mini brittle stars.

bobbychullo 05/24/2011 09:51 PM

i used revive. they didn't fall off right away. but with some agitation by swishing in the dip solution and using a turkey baster to blow them off i got them. I dipped 2 times separated by 6 days and i never saw them again. i think i got lucky and got them before any eggs were laid. but i was told to dip 3 times, 6 days apart to guarantee removal (the eggs take 6 days to hatch). I am not sure how correct this is but it worked for me.

i had monti eating nudis at the same time >.<

i have those same zoas, they are growing very well. they were attacked by the nudis and by an asterina starfish and they're still kickin'.

Lynnmw1208 05/25/2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbychullo (Post 18819374)
i used revive. they didn't fall off right away. but with some agitation by swishing in the dip solution and using a turkey baster to blow them off i got them. I dipped 2 times separated by 6 days and i never saw them again. i think i got lucky and got them before any eggs were laid. but i was told to dip 3 times, 6 days apart to guarantee removal (the eggs take 6 days to hatch). I am not sure how correct this is but it worked for me.

i had monti eating nudis at the same time >.<

i have those same zoas, they are growing very well. they were attacked by the nudis and by an asterina starfish and they're still kickin'.

were the nudis you had bright red? It was crazy to see something that blended into the coral :spin2: Or do these guys just pick up the coral color after munching it? I really need to get revive if I can find it around here, I heard good things about it, but my LFS carries seachem mostly.

bobbychullo 05/25/2011 11:17 PM

they take on the color of the coral

mine were the purple color of the colonies matting tissue and they stayed in between and on the underside of the polyps.

fishoutofwater 05/25/2011 11:55 PM

I have used melafix to dip my zoas with great success killing zoo eating nudis. They are a pain. I always dip my zoos and quarantine them before putting in main display. Good luck