Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Reef Chemistry Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   GFO and GAC in Canister filter (like Randy's) (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=986465)

TekCat 12/03/2006 04:23 PM

GFO and GAC in Canister filter (like Randy's)

Randy, you've mentioned that you run GFO and GAC in canister filter. I'd like to do the same since I already have Magnum 350 :)
So, here are some questions:

1) if I drop 150gramm GFO (lets say Phosban) into canister running 350gph, wont it reduce GFO's effectiveness? According to 2LIttleFishes, ~90gph is what's needed.

2) With GAC needed to be changed frequently, do I use the same schedule (lets say 2 weeks) to replace GFO? Or I could use leave it there for longer time?

3) Have you tried and/or recomend to use GFO with ChemiPure? Just because they advertize longer life span vs GAC?

Thanks in advance

TekCat 12/04/2006 05:50 PM

shameless bump ;)

DrBDC 12/04/2006 06:32 PM

The recommended gph is to keep the granules from bouncing around and grinding up in a loose setting. You can run it faster through a cannister filter. Your change schedule should be based on the effluent coming out. If it starts showing phosphate, change it.

Randy Holmes-Farley 12/04/2006 06:38 PM

Higher flow never hurts the actual binding effectiveness of binders like GFO, but it might grind it to dust if it is moving around too much.

The schedule depends a lot of the level of phosphate concern you have. I use relatively little GFO and change the whole thing only every 2 months or so.

TekCat 12/05/2006 01:09 AM

Gotcha, thanks.
One more question: 2 month changing for carbon too? I thought that it is supposed to be changed at least once a month otherwise it becomes bad for the tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley 12/05/2006 07:30 AM

I presume that the concern with leaving carbon in a long time is that it may develop a coating of bacteria that may facilitate the conversion of ammonia to nitrate. That might be true, but in my tank nitrate is never a concern as I export plenty of nitrogen via growing macroalgae.

But if you want to avoid that issue, changing it faster can work. I generally recommend 1-2 months on carbon used to reduce organics and yellowing of the water, however.

TekCat 12/05/2006 02:12 PM

Thanks Randy. Last question, do I just drop GFO in a bag in canister and fill the rest with carbon, or there is a better way?

Randy Holmes-Farley 12/05/2006 03:41 PM

I mix them together and my media holder in the cannister holds it it, but not all will do that, so a bag is OK. :)

TekCat 12/05/2006 04:02 PM

Thanks Randy, mixing away :D

Randy Holmes-Farley 12/05/2006 04:40 PM

:thumbsup:

Good luck. :)