Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   55 gallon drum, any one cut top off? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2149840)

malawinovice 03/24/2012 08:29 PM

55 gallon drum, any one cut top off?

Locals are selling 55 gallon closed head plastic drums. Any one cut off the top for ease of adding salt?

Structural risks?

Also have drums previously filled with canola oil for $10, or filled with vinegar for $25. Is either okay for ro/di and mixing station?

OpCode1300 03/24/2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malawinovice (Post 20057330)
Locals are selling 55 gallon closed head plastic drums. Any one cut off the top for ease of adding salt?

Structural risks?

Also have drums previously filled with canola oil for $10, or filled with vinegar for $25. Is either okay for ro/di and mixing station?

the drums fill w/ vinegar are "safe", we use vinegar to clean pumps and as sources of carbon like vodka. I would assume the oil would be ok if cleaned out good.

As for cutting the top off,I would say cut a small port, worst case it helps prevent evaporation and keep debris out of the water.

Playa-1 03/24/2012 09:02 PM

You can cut the top off it you want. It will not be as sturdy around the top but still be functional. Like OpCode said, If you just cut a hole in the top big enough to do what you need then the top of the drum will be a little more stable.

tomservo 03/24/2012 09:04 PM

The typical "thin" drums have about a 1/4" wall, so they are still pretty sturdy. I've had my hands on a thickwall drum in the past that was 1/2" thick, thing weighed like 70-80lbs empty!

billdogg 03/25/2012 06:29 AM

Actually, I cut off 1/2 of the bottom! The top already has threaded fittings - why not use them? My barrel sits upside down plumbed to an old iwaki pump for circulation and to pump the water to the tanks on water change day. The piece I cut off I hinged back on using a couple pieces of plastic milk jug and nylon nuts and bolts. The hinges break every couple years -takes 5 minutes to replace them - the barrel has been in service since at least 1990.

malawinovice 03/25/2012 06:52 AM

What did you use for drain? 2" male thread?

Reefir 03/25/2012 07:07 AM

i cut like 3 inches off the top of a 5 gallon bucket , I trace the bottom of the 5g on top of the 55g drum and cut it out a 1/4 bigger and the 5g bucket fits right in with a lid and its sealed and easy to hose out and add salt etc. I put mine on a 2' tall stand , drilled a bulkhead on the bottom and have a pvc shutoff , i mix my salywater in it and fill buckets of water with ease . just my ways , good luck !

MLS 03/25/2012 07:23 AM

I knew someone who used an drum filled with cooking oil without problems.
They threw a couple of gallons on vinegar in the drum to help clean/cut the oil in the drum.

Big Dog 03/25/2012 08:24 AM

Reciprocating saw ........ cut half in a half moon config

ek9vboi 03/25/2012 08:53 AM

I didn't cut off my top, but I did cut the hole larger for ease of adding salt. Used a 4" knockout cap using in plumbing to test pressure for recapping. Works great but doesn't have a nice seal to keep the water in, I'll have to work on that.

Also, pick up the vinegar barrel, it's not much more for something you have put a heck of a lot of money into.

malawinovice 03/25/2012 05:11 PM

I will pick up the used vinegar barrels.

Going to try to hang the ro/di tank from rafters, another thread.
Will have to try the upside down tank to use current bunge holes for drains.

Finally a larger 5 gallon pail hole on the top for mixing and cords for heater and kora for stirring.

Thanks all for the great ideas.