Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   clown trigger tank mates? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1425961)

ziyaadb 07/07/2008 01:43 AM

clown trigger tank mates?

HI all
Just saw a clown triggerfish and the wifes loves it.
I would just like to know what would make suitable tankmates for a clown triggerfish?

The tank is 70*18w*20H will be FO. In the process of setting it up. Have a skimmer thats rated for a 200G tank and will run a DSB and Fuge as well.

I know that it will get large and once its too large i will pass it on but in the meantime what are my options in regards to other fish that i can keep with it?

Thanks

Wolverine 07/07/2008 07:12 AM

First, make sure you already have somewhere to pass it on to. Many stores, even if they say they will take it back, won't when the time comes. Then they're stuck with a huge, aggressive fish that no one else wants to buy.

That said, in a 100g, if the trigger is small, you can keep other aggressive fish with it. There are two problems you're going to run into. One is that the fish that will go well in that tank with that fish will also outgrow what you have.
The second problem is that the CT will grow. As it grows, it will likely get to the point where you can't keep anything with it. Your first warning sign that this is the case is often coming home to a tank full of dead fish.

Dave

StayPuft 07/07/2008 07:48 AM

A clown trigger grows VERY slow, so you will be ok for a few years, at least, depending on how small it is now. As for tank mates... a harlequin tusk, any of the non reef safe wrasses, a foxface, another small trigger like the picasso (which also grows very slow), even a tang would be ok. I don't mean you should add ALL those fish, just putting up some choices.

btw, clown triggers are pretty agressive. That doesn't mean you can't get one, just be prepared to separate this fish in case of some violent behavior.

danorth 07/07/2008 10:47 AM

My clown has gone from about 4" to about 8" in a little over 2 years. I am very interested to see if it ever turns mean. I also can't wait to see how big it will grow. I am upgrading in tank size as well.....if I can get this damn stand built right!

ccampbell57 07/07/2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12894023#post12894023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by StayPuft
A clown trigger grows VERY slow, so you will be ok for a few years, at least, depending on how small it is now. As for tank mates... a harlequin tusk, any of the non reef safe wrasses, a foxface, another small trigger like the picasso (which also grows very slow), even a tang would be ok. I don't mean you should add ALL those fish, just putting up some choices.

btw, clown triggers are pretty agressive. That doesn't mean you can't get one, just be prepared to separate this fish in case of some violent behavior.

StayPuft - I am curious where you picked up this fact? My opinion and direct observation of my clown trigger would directly contradict what you state about a slow grower. My clown went from just over 3" to over 5" (closer to 5.5) in less than 6 months. He also had a very plump belly and as he grew older he became very bold.

He was subsiquently removed last week due to the fact that he was starting to attack my 10" emperor, 9" blueface, and my new 3" bandit angels.

Be ware that clown triggers are VERY aggressive and will eventually require a species only or a tank filled with very aggressive fish that you are not going to miss if they end up dead one morning.

StayPuft 07/07/2008 11:18 AM

I never owned a clown trigger so that fact was just something I read online. I do however own a picasso trigger and I can definitely say that it's a very slow grower. I got both a picasso and a niger at the same time and the niger was half the size. Now, 6 months later the niger is bigger. The picasso grew, but sideways. :lol: It's gotten so fat, it looks like a football.

Monkeyfish 07/07/2008 11:23 AM

Re: clown trigger tank mates?

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12893376#post12893376 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ziyaadb
HI all

I would just like to know what would make suitable tankmates for a clown triggerfish?

Thanks

Rocks.

Recty 07/07/2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12893847#post12893847 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wolverine
The second problem is that the CT will grow. As it grows, it will likely get to the point where you can't keep anything with it. Your first warning sign that this is the case is often coming home to a tank full of dead fish.

Dave

I find that usually the fish kept with a clownfish that went rogue are all of the sudden missing eyeballs, followed shortly by death.

reefergeorge 07/07/2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12896258#post12896258 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Recty
I find that usually the fish kept with a clownfish that went rogue are all of the sudden missing eyeballs, followed shortly by death.
That's one mean clownfish you have there. :D

If it were my tank. I wouldn't risk it.

jda 07/07/2008 02:19 PM

A clown trigger is a pretty quick grower for a triggerfish - especially if fed correctly. I have seen them grow about 3 inches in a year - more when small and less when larger. On the other hand, my personal picasso and assai haven't grown 3 inches in 6 years. ...all triggers don't grow at the same rate.

They can turn into killers one day. I have seen one at 8" that would eat the flesh off of your arm if you put your hand in there to scrape algae. They seem to turn anytime after they are 5 inches - some of them when they are much bigger.

I am usually a fan of keeping fish while small and then moving them on to a better home, however Wolverine is correct. VERY, VERY few will want this fish when it gets large... this isn't like trying to find a home for a 5" black tang that outgrew a 75G tank.

If you do buy this fish, you could wind up with a fish that won't allow any tankmates and could need a 300+ gallon tank all to it's self. Just know that going in.

Stuart60611 07/07/2008 02:54 PM

I am starting a FOWLR which will contain a picasso. From what I have read, picasso triggers are not nearly as aggressive as clowns. Is that the general view?

Monkeyfish 07/07/2008 03:12 PM

IME yes, Picassos are much milder, but they're still triggers.

Wolverine 07/07/2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12895437#post12895437 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by StayPuft
I never owned a clown trigger so that fact was just something I read online.
What you read was inaccurate. If they're healthy, they'll grow more quickly than you want them to.

Wolverine 07/07/2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12896258#post12896258 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Recty
You must get home earlier than I do.

:D

Recty 07/07/2008 04:10 PM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12896320#post12896320 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefergeorge
That's one mean clownfish you have there. :D

If it were my tank. I wouldn't risk it.

Heh, I did mean clown trigger ;) My clownfish are much nicer than that.

agreeive?fish 07/07/2008 08:34 PM

I love triggers and have always wanted one especially the clown trigger but have never got one for the rep of flipping out one day and killing all my(your) fish with no warning

reefergeorge 07/07/2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12899422#post12899422 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by agreeive?fish
I love triggers and have always wanted one especially the clown trigger but have never got one for the rep of flipping out one day and killing all my(your) fish with no warning
Put one in that empty 200. :D

jda 07/07/2008 08:45 PM

For those of you whom are wanting a large clown trigger, find a photo of a large one. They are still kinda neat, but I have never seen one that is nearly as colorful as a juvi. They seem to get duller as they grow.

agreeive?fish 07/07/2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12899497#post12899497 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefergeorge
Put one in that empty 200. :D

Signature line is out of date...the 200g has a Batfish, a koran angel (looking for a personifer angel or a scribbled angel to go in the tank) and a couple of undecided fish and no plans for a triggerfish especially with the batfish

Zoom 07/07/2008 09:16 PM

I have Clown triggers now for over six years .
First one i give to my friend when family emergency got me out of town, i had him for five years from 2" to over 9" long.
When i had the first one i try to see if i can put this fish in a reef tank after many test i now say this fish is reef safe to a limit .
I do have a new small clown trigger in my 200g reef tank with many other fish .
I know from experience the clown trigger is not a killer but he will fight for food and will bite any thing that try to get to his food .
Clown triggers don't eat fish flesh i try they will spit it out , they don't kill fish so they can eat them..
I know for sure i will have some problems with this fish when it gets some size to him at feeding time but i willing to have this fish in my tank for many years to come they have the best personality from any other fish i ever had .
I have some pictures in my gallery if you like to see .

karlyhui 07/07/2008 09:19 PM

hi

I have a clown trigger since it was a baby with litle marks on it. Now is around 2 inches or a little more in a year.

For some reason mines is a slow grower, it has been deworm and copper treated so it is in perfect health.

Anyway i highly recommend them, they eat basically everything and follow your hand everywhere. Once they see you go near the tank, mines would come running out in the open.

I put it in a 30 gallon tank with a pair of maroon. So it is not as dangerous as everyone makes it to be.

You will love this fish.

DamnPepShrimp 07/07/2008 10:38 PM

A clown trigger in a 30g??? Please take it back to the fish store! Poor fish!

I've always wanted to setup an aggressive tank with a clown trigger, passer angel and sohal tang. Maybe a lunare wrasse, some sort of puffer and an aggressive eel. Of course you will need atleast a 300g plus sized tank to do it in.

misterd 07/07/2008 11:03 PM

I added my clown trigger last, after adding the tangs and maroon clown, and the trigger is doing fine in a 100g. he is about the same size as the tans, maybe a little smaller, and as long as he is fed, he stays happy. usually keeps to himself.

I think it you add the most agressive last, it really helps, since the other fish are already established.

Recty 07/08/2008 12:06 AM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12899877#post12899877 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by karlyhui
hi

I have a clown trigger since it was a baby with litle marks on it. Now is around 2 inches or a little more in a year.

For some reason mines is a slow grower, it has been deworm and copper treated so it is in perfect health.

Anyway i highly recommend them, they eat basically everything and follow your hand everywhere. Once they see you go near the tank, mines would come running out in the open.

I put it in a 30 gallon tank with a pair of maroon. So it is not as dangerous as everyone makes it to be.

You will love this fish.

It comes to mind that keeping a fish which should grow 3-4 inches in it's first year in a 30g tank is pretty cruel. You probably arent feeding it much and it's growth is stunted by the too small of tank, not to mention the marron clown pair. That is why you are seeing slow growth... likely not great water quality with that small of a tank and carnivores in it, and overcrowding = slow growth if any.

30reef 07/08/2008 01:10 AM

I had a 10" Clown trigger in a 240 (8x2x2) along with a few wrasses and filefish. The other fish in there were quite a bit smaller than the trigger. I had zero problems with aggression. The trigger had the best personality, it would put on a show around dinnertime every night.

Ich was problematic from time to time though.