Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Design of a 15Gal sump for my 55gal aqua. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1972759)

koran angel 02/07/2011 01:48 AM

Design of a 15Gal sump for my 55gal aqua.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi fellows,
I'm trying to design a 15G sump for my 55G tank. I'm thinking of attaching on the back one Prizm Pro skimmer and one filter- instead of putting them inside due to the size of the sump (15G.) Thus, i'd clear the top of the aqua from bulky accessories but lights.

I'm also thinking to put:
Bio filters in the input chamber;
then, live rocks in the filter output chamber;
then, chaeto in the skimmer output chamber;
looping back clockwise to the return pump.

So, any suggestions to better the design for more efficiency.

reeftanknewbie 02/07/2011 06:12 AM

Man wish I can help you but I don't have any experience with building sumps. I do like the design though as it seems like a sump with built in refugium. I would be concerned with there being only a 1" difference from the top of the sump to the spill areas to the next chamber. If you were to get a lot of water to return to the sump at one time I would think it would flood over the edges. I would suggest having the spill points much deeper below the top of the sump to prevent flooding. Just a thought...hope this helps....

dmastracchio 02/07/2011 10:59 AM

I think simpler is more effective. My sump under my 55 was the first thing I ever built with acrylic. It was a simple 3 chamber sump.

Refug > return < Input

I plumbed the return to supply the refug. Also, what reeftanknewb talked about, I had the walls about 6 inches above the baffles that were in place. In total, my sump was in the ~22ish gallons but only used maybe 10-15. It allowed for extra space just in cause of a power outage or other problems.

etomasko 02/07/2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmastracchio (Post 18301323)
I think simpler is more effective. My sump under my 55 was the first thing I ever built with acrylic. It was a simple 3 chamber sump.

Refug > return < Input

I plumbed the return to supply the refug. Also, what reeftanknewb talked about, I had the walls about 6 inches above the baffles that were in place. In total, my sump was in the ~22ish gallons but only used maybe 10-15. It allowed for extra space just in cause of a power outage or other problems.

agreed...when you get complicated especially on a 15g sump gluck man baffles are going to eat up alot of your space...id go with 3 chambers a return chamber on inch wider then return pump and just clear your skimmer...and the rest fuge...