Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Spears gate valve hard to undo (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2657544)

fishkeeprian 11/08/2017 06:53 AM

Spears gate valve hard to undo

Just received two gate valves for my return plumbing and one is nice and smooth operating and the other is a bit tight to undo. I am just worried about stressing the plumbing when adjusting my flow, on the hard to undo one. Can you do anything to ease up the opening and closing?

Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mljutfszfa...24223.jpg?dl=0

mcgyvr 11/08/2017 07:46 AM

Tolerances... fun.. normal...
Your plumbing should be secured/clamped such that its not an issue but I think you just need to work the valve back and forth many times and see if it loosens up some..

I've never taken one apart but you "may" be able to reduce the preload on the rotating assembly by slightly loosening that threaded cap below the handle.. (But I'm making an assumption there)

homer1475 11/08/2017 11:17 AM

Unscrew the top cap(where the handle is) and drip a little oil in there(I used vegetable oil).

I had the same issue and was told by spears this is what to do. Also do this after disassembly for cleaning. They are supposed to have non toxic grease in there, but was told that sometimes it gets skipped or not enough was applied at the factory.

It's the friction from the screw on the actual vale that causes it to stick(plastic on plastic).

billdogg 11/08/2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer1475 (Post 25267333)
Unscrew the top cap(where the handle is) and drip a little oil in there(I used vegetable oil).

I had the same issue and was told by spears this is what to do. Also do this after disassembly for cleaning. They are supposed to have non toxic grease in there, but was told that sometimes it gets skipped or not enough was applied at the factory.

It's the friction from the screw on the actual vale that causes it to stick(plastic on plastic).

^^^This^^^, except I use a dab of silicone grease

fishkeeprian 11/08/2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer1475 (Post 25267333)

The top cap? Is that the black cap in the centre of the handle?

homer1475 11/08/2017 02:19 PM

There is actually 3 nuts. A small one on top of the handle, that just holds the handle on.

Second is a little larger just under the handle, third is a larger one that holds everything together.

While I haven't done it in a long time, I believe its the second nut you want to remove and grease the innards.

fishkeeprian 11/08/2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer1475 (Post 25267493)
There is actually 3 nuts. A small one on top of the handle, that just holds the handle on.

Second is a little larger just under the handle, third is a larger one that holds everything together.

While I haven't done it in a long time, I believe its the second nut you want to remove and grease the innards.

Can't get the thing undone it's solid.

savethereef 11/08/2017 03:50 PM

what if you dip it in boiling water?
I wonder if that would help soften it up a bit.
Maybe boil water first then dunk it for a couple seconds and pull it out and try.
Just a though i wonder if that would work.
could have calcium build up on the inside.

fishkeeprian 11/08/2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savethereef (Post 25267593)
what if you dip it in boiling water?
I wonder if that would help soften it up a bit.
Maybe boil water first then dunk it for a couple seconds and pull it out and try.
Just a though i wonder if that would work.
could have calcium build up on the inside.

It's brand new, not evenue fitted it.

homer1475 11/08/2017 04:33 PM

Use a pair of slip joint pliers then. They are designed to come apart while in operation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk