Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=745)
-   -   Bubble king pump issues? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2655728)

joelk835 10/23/2017 08:22 AM

Bubble king pump issues?

2 Attachment(s)
I noticed my pump had stopped on my bubble king skimmer so I took it apart and noticed this.
Attachment 381496

Attachment 381497

If I put the impeller back in after cleaning it works but the pictures are after cleaning with a vinegar bath. I assume that was rust that you see in the pictures it doesn't come off. Do I need to replace the whole pump or just the rotor? Also the rotor spins fine and I don't see anything particular wrong with it but are you supposed to be able to move the black plastic shield that goes between the needle and the magnet as it has some play to move it back and forth.

slief 10/23/2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelk835 (Post 25251120)
I noticed my pump had stopped on my bubble king skimmer so I took it apart and noticed this.
Attachment 381496

Attachment 381497

If I put the impeller back in after cleaning it works but the pictures are after cleaning with a vinegar bath. I assume that was rust that you see in the pictures it doesn't come off. Do I need to replace the whole pump or just the rotor? Also the rotor spins fine and I don't see anything particular wrong with it but are you supposed to be able to move the black plastic shield that goes between the needle and the magnet as it has some play to move it back and forth.

Looks like you hadn't cleaned it in a while. If everything is working, I don't think you need to replace anything. I can't see the impeller very well in your picture but the staining often is the result of GFO dust collecting around the magnet and that results in the appearance of rust stains. Regular cleaning and scrubbing the magnet cavity and the impeller help prevent the staining. Some scrubbing with scotchbrite pads and a scrub brush on the plastic parts might clean it up. You could also try soaking in some diluted bleach though I don't know if that will remove the stains or not. As for the play, there is supposed to be some forward and back play on the shield between the magnet and the rotor. There is a bearing in there and it allows the magnet to float within the magnet cavity. The shield and bearing in the shield as well as the one at the base of the magnet cavity are there to center the impeller but the magnet and motor keep the magnet and impeller in the proper front to back position.

Vinny Kreyling 10/23/2017 09:07 AM

My Vectra had the same set up as far as the shield & it did have some play, this allows the shaft to settle in position.
As far as anything else I would wait for Scott to chime in.

Vinny Kreyling 10/23/2017 09:08 AM

Hi Scott --

slief 10/23/2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling (Post 25251166)
Hi Scott --

:wavehand:

joelk835 10/23/2017 09:16 AM

Thanks guys.