Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   "easy to grow" corals? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1915303)

SquidHC 10/04/2010 05:38 PM

"easy to grow" corals?

Is there a list of easy to grow corals out there? I have a simple set-up, and would just like to have some interesting/easy/fast growing corals to give the tank life. Some day i'll set up a big tank again, and focus back on some harder to care for corals, but untill then. Right now I have some xenia, and some zoas. Need some more color. Any suggestions.

Jstdv8 10/04/2010 05:40 PM

xenia, mushrooms, colt/kenya tree, GSP(green star polyps) just about any zoa or pally

DC_40gallon 10/04/2010 07:16 PM

+1 on the above. Nothing easier than those and they will bring real majestic beauty to your tank.

thegrun 10/04/2010 07:35 PM

See this website:
http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/cor...5-Easy-Corals/

crvz 10/05/2010 09:28 AM

what kind of lighting and filtration do you have? there are a lot of easy to care for LPS corals that you may be interested in, but they'll demand a little more light than the softies you currently have.

SquidHC 10/05/2010 09:43 AM

4x T5 fixture. The water is only 12" deep so coverage is good. I pretty much just don't have a skimmer. Sump with refugium, so on.

Dustin1300 10/05/2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstdv8 (Post 17740208)
xenia, mushrooms, colt/kenya tree, GSP(green star polyps) just about any zoa or pally

Those are all great corals. I'd also add leathers to the list as long as you have sufficient lighting. What type of lighting is in place?

jeff@zina.com 10/05/2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SquidHC (Post 17742926)
4x T5 fixture. The water is only 12" deep so coverage is good.

That light will get you into the SPS range, though maybe not all of them. So any softie, most LPS and many SPS will grow fine. Though not all qualify as "easiest" by any means.

Jeff

SquidHC 10/05/2010 10:01 AM

Basically my concern is that right now I have a nearly useless skimmer. My water always has some loose debris in it. It's a small system, and while it's stable in itself, things can happen easily. I just wan't to enjoy my tank. In the past, I have had SPS tanks and such, and just been stressed out at the loss of colonies, or the lack of growth I experienced.

Al Kurtys 10/05/2010 10:15 AM

coral questions

This guy could help you out. He is very informative and also sells nice frags!!! His name is He is not a local guy but will ship to you. This is his website .com. Here is his number he is having issues with his site right now.

Dustin1300 10/05/2010 10:42 AM

If you've worked SPS in the past you should know the easy ones you worked your way up to SPS from;)

cfgenesis 10/05/2010 11:19 AM

I started a 72-gallon bowfront in March with T5x4 and a 110-watt PC fixture. I have a Fiji Yellow Leather, Xenia, Frogspawn, Bubble, Purple Fungia, Trumpet, and multiple Zoas that are all thriving. I had a Flowerpot that died in 10 days, and a couple of acro frags that are barely hanging on, but I'm hoping that it's because my tank is still young.

Jabberwock 10/05/2010 03:38 PM

If that's a T5 HO fixture then I'd think that you should be able to grow pretty much anything in 12" of water... Just make sure that you do weekly water changes since you don't have a skimmer and consider running some form of chemical filtration -- the Skimmer-less Nano scene seems to like Chemipure Elite + Purigen.

As far as interesting+easy+fast corals:

Frogspawn/Hammer, Montipora (branching or plating), Caulastrea, Acans, Duncans, Zoa's and Mushrooms all seem to meet your requirements, especially if you are willing to target feed some of the above.

Dustin1300 10/05/2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfgenesis (Post 17743430)
I started a 72-gallon bowfront in March with T5x4 and a 110-watt PC fixture. I have a Fiji Yellow Leather, Xenia, Frogspawn, Bubble, Purple Fungia, Trumpet, and multiple Zoas that are all thriving. I had a Flowerpot that died in 10 days, and a couple of acro frags that are barely hanging on, but I'm hoping that it's because my tank is still young.

SPS is something you pick up later down the road once you have a better idea on how to maintain the aquarium. Deal with what you have now which all seem to be some of the easier corals available in the hobby. Testing often and ensuring you know what to keep everything stable is what you need to achieve before even adding SPS.

krshlln300 02/13/2012 07:02 PM

My Purple branching monti has been flourishing under a 4 bulb t5 and sub-par water conditions (just started working 2 jobs not much time now).

Sport507 02/13/2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstdv8 (Post 17740208)

Do alot of research on these softies because down the road when you would like to get them out of your tank. It may not be as easy as one might think. Other than that, they are really easy to keep.

symon_say 02/14/2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sport507 (Post 19875246)
Do alot of research on these softies because down the road when you would like to get them out of your tank. It may not be as easy as one might think. Other than that, they are really easy to keep.

Just put then into individual rocks, and you'll be fine when you want to get then out.

I'm in the same boat and right now i hvae, mushrooms, ricordea, zoas, polyps (pink star, yellow and starburst), xenia, frogspawn and galaxea everything doing fine.