Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA) (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   looking for local store that sells Dow flake (calcium chloride) (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1607532)

fishnut__2 03/27/2009 04:06 PM

looking for local store that sells Dow flake (calcium chloride)

looking for local store that sells Dow flake(calcium chloride) or Peladow or Dow mini pellets.

also interested in Magnesium chloride (from dead sea works)

trying randy's homemade mixtures. the article said home depot carried haven't found it yet.

i started using b ionic, then switched to bulk reef's additives, know i want to try randy's homemade.

anyone ever try this, and how did it work?

A.VOID 03/27/2009 06:19 PM

Columbus builders supply in grandview. About $15 for 50lbs

Don't know where magnesium is located. I've bought that from bulk reef, but it's expensive.

Yes, randy's 2 part works great

CleveYank 03/27/2009 06:23 PM

Re: looking for local store that sells Dow flake (calcium chloride)

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14705953#post14705953 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishnut__2
looking for local store that sells Dow flake(calcium chloride) or Peladow or Dow mini pellets.

also interested in Magnesium chloride (from dead sea works)

trying randy's homemade mixtures. the article said home depot carried haven't found it yet.

i started using b ionic, then switched to bulk reef's additives, know i want to try randy's homemade.

anyone ever try this, and how did it work?

your local on profile says Cinci, isn't buckeye field supply a close source?

They have the stuff but what they will do for shipping is a big question. I had heard that they had a draconian no pickup policy.

fishnut__2 03/28/2009 07:32 PM

yeah, brs is local just looking for a cheaper supplement.

hard to find calcium chloride or magnesium....

the dow flake must be older, from what i hear!!

gelatin_man 03/28/2009 08:47 PM

Wal mart carries a morton brand ice melt that is straight calcium chloride just like the pela dow...I used it and worked great....came in a 9 pound container I believe..back in the car section when I found it. Only like 7 bucks

Buckeye Hydro 03/30/2009 04:38 AM

I suspect you won't have any luck finding old Dowflake, and that you'll have a hard time telling if its old or not...

Russ

macchicks 03/30/2009 08:05 AM

well I asked at cora but I will ask here...

However I have found that I may have access to alot (100+lbs) of it for a very small fee.

The catch Its been sitting for a several years (up to 10) unused in the original 50 lb bags. Inside my husbands work, They no longer use it at all.

Is it any good? should I even bother?

A.VOID 03/30/2009 10:04 AM

If it's dry, then I bet it's fine
You may want to post in the Chemistry forum to get a true confirm

verper 03/30/2009 12:27 PM

I would also think that as long as it has stayed dry, it is still good. And I'd be up for a bag or two :)

fishnut__2 03/31/2009 02:02 PM

im in fpr a bag or 2 also.............