Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Small ammonia spike after adding a fish? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2176498)

MBizzo 06/01/2012 01:19 PM

Small ammonia spike after adding a fish?

My tank was cycled about a week ago tomorrow (cycled at only 2 weeks). I added a small firefish and a small frag of pulsing Xenia, but now on day 3 of them in there the ammonia went from 0 to 0.25. Is this something I should be worried about or is it normal? I added some Kent ammonia detox but haven't checked it again, both the fish and coral seem happy. I'm currently only feeding frozen mysis shrimp. I also turned on the skimmer when I added them, should I turn it back off until the tanks a little more mature?

My nitrite is still 0 and nitrate at 10 ppm. Going to do first water change today.

sponger0 06/01/2012 01:30 PM

You didnt finish cycling. You are trying to rush. 2 weeks is the minimum. You should have gotten a CUC first then see if they survive.

Just cause it cycled doesnt mean its quite ready. Sometimes it needs a little extra time.

loscaer 06/01/2012 01:33 PM

Do a small water change every day till the ammonia goes down. Also don't add anything new till after your nitrate and ammonia drop to 0 because your tank is adjusting to the new bio load.

sponger0 06/01/2012 01:37 PM

Lesson to learn: Be patient. If your not sure...wait longer

MBizzo 06/01/2012 03:24 PM

I did add a CUC, just forgot to mention it. From what I've been told two weeks was about the time for a cycle if you used all live rock, which I did. The guy at my LFS said that the frag wouldn't really do anything to the ammonia, and it would actually help because it will stop pulsing if there's something going on in the water. Is there anything else I should do? I just did a 10% water change, would leaving the skimmer on help? I am feeding the fish an cleaner shrimp

sponger0 06/01/2012 03:33 PM

You are going to fast. Too new of a tank for a fish or cleaner.

But since its all been said and done, watch your ammonia, do water changes as needed with ammonia. Dont add anything else until your ammonia problem is solved. And I would still wait another month before adding anything else.

Leave the skimmer on and make sure its working properly.

MBizzo 06/01/2012 03:46 PM

Should I feed them the bare minimum or normaly? I'm only feeding mysis shrimp, is there food that won't do much to the ammonia?

AquaReeferMan 06/01/2012 05:54 PM

All food will essentially add Ammonia. I would only be feeding the fish about 3 times a week, very small amounts. The shrimp is a scavenger and shouldnt need to be target fed.

You should have added more of an ammonia source after the 2 weeks and built your biological filtration up more.

Slow down and let the system stabilize. I wouldn't add anything else for a couple of weeks to a month.

Remember, only bad things happen quickly in this hobby.

Stick with getting your information on Reef Central. We are hobbyist that will give you the proper information, most pet stores will tell and sell you anything so they can make money.

sponger0 06/01/2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaReeferMan (Post 20317604)
Slow down and let the system stabilize. I wouldn't add anything else for a couple of weeks to a month.

Remember, only bad things happen quickly in this hobby.

Right there. Perfect.

MBizzo 06/01/2012 09:38 PM

Thanks guys! After today's water change the ammonia went down, still in between 0 and 0.25 though on the API saltwater master. Nitrates stayed the same I changed the filter sock, hopefully that will help! The filter socks have been changed 3 times already in 3 weeks, does that sound normal?