Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nano Reefs (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Biocube 32 ATO options (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2629186)

Jenyphur 03/17/2017 08:59 AM

Biocube 32 ATO options

Hi all, I definitely need to get an ATO system for my BC32. Some advice on which one you are using and where did you put it (which chamber).

I see that some of you have the Tunze Osmolator Nano ATO but it seems that there might have been some issues with them dying?

Any other options out there and also...what chamber did you put it in and was it easy/hard to install?

Thanks

Jen

Scurvy Dawg 03/17/2017 09:57 AM

I use the AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro on my 32. I have the fill tube in chamber 2 and I have zero complaints about it. Works very well and has some nice safety features. Very easy to install.

Jenyphur 03/17/2017 10:09 AM

Checking it out now..another quick question (sorry!). Does this come with the container for the water? If not, what did you use?

ReefWreak 03/17/2017 01:36 PM

I have a Tunze Osmolator nano, and have had it running without issue for about a year and a half. Highly recommended. Most Tunze products are fantastic. All but their stupid 9001 skimmer have generally received excellent reviews.

If the pump did die, I'm sure they'd replace it under warranty pretty quickly and easily. The only exception to this is if you use kalk in your ATO, which they've said to NOT use with their pumps as it can clog and break the pump. They do sell an in-line kalk container to add kalk after the initial water intake.

Jenyphur 03/17/2017 01:48 PM

Looks like I will be purchasing something today as BRS is having a St. Patty's day sale. :bum:

skiingfast 03/17/2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenyphur (Post 25007829)
Checking it out now..another quick question (sorry!). Does this come with the container for the water? If not, what did you use?

No. The ATOs come with their unit, a system that monitors the water height and sometimes a pump. The two systems recommended both include pumps.

For the reservoir of ATO water I use a 5 gallon jug from Walmart. It has a screw on wide mouth that the pump fits through and a second small opening that I run the tubing through to supply water to the tank. On another tank I use a standard 10G tank.

Ideally your reservoir is as big as can be, just so you don't have to refill it often. All that is really required is it's made of safe material, and a lid to keep dust and debris out.

TexChuck 03/20/2017 10:21 AM

I've been running the Tunze Nano ATO for 2 months with no problem. For a resovoir, I'm using one of the 5g water totes from the LFS; the wide mouth pouring lid is big enough to fit the pump in, and I rest the lid on top to limit evaporation.

I have the float sensor in chamber 3 of my BC32, and am keeping the water level in line with the top shelf in the media tray, which keeps the water line even for the Tunze nano skimmer in chamber 2.

Jenyphur 03/20/2017 11:40 AM

Fantastic, I ended up buying the SmartATO because I liked how small it is as well as no moving parts. I also picked up 2 - 5 gallon jugs of RODI from my LFS which will work nicely. I will post pics once I get it and get it installed.

MikeyLegs 10/30/2017 07:48 PM

Hey Jenyphur. I'm in the process of setting up my first saltwater tank and I've really enjoyed your build progress. It seems like we must have been reading many of the same sites because my planned build/stock is almost exactly the same as yours lol. My question is about your SmartATO unit. Are you still using it? How do you like it? How long does the 5 gallon RO reservoir last? Is the luxury worth the added expense?

I would appreciate your (and anybody elses) input. Thanks!

Darryl Hey 10/30/2017 07:55 PM

Tunze osmolator

TexChuck 11/01/2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyLegs (Post 25258967)
Hey Jenyphur. I'm in the process of setting up my first saltwater tank and I've really enjoyed your build progress. It seems like we must have been reading many of the same sites because my planned build/stock is almost exactly the same as yours lol. My question is about your SmartATO unit. Are you still using it? How do you like it? How long does the 5 gallon RO reservoir last? Is the luxury worth the added expense?

I would appreciate your (and anybody elses) input. Thanks!

I run the Tunze with Kalk in my 32 g BC. With the feeding door open to promote evap, I'm only having to top off the 5g jug with fresh water every 3-4 weeks, and I add more water/kalk when it gets down to 1/3 full or so.

eddiereefs 11/01/2017 08:27 PM

Not to hijack but has any one tried the innovative marine aqua gadget? Looks good

dabob79 11/05/2017 11:01 AM

I'm using a used JBJ auto top off unit that I bought from someone here local, paired with a Toms Aqualifter pump, and so far it's working great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk