Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   blue spotted toby puffer (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1918846)

DoubleM 10 10/12/2010 02:50 PM

blue spotted toby puffer

Well im looking into this fish. I would like to know if anyone on here has any experince with one? also what kind of tank-mates are ok with him and vice versa? what kind of behavior can i expect? i have a 55gal FO waiting. I currently have 1 fuzzy dwarf. 1 Marine betta and 1 Coral Beauty. How do you think the new member will fair in the tank with them?? any any info would be great!!! thanks

Stuart60611 10/12/2010 03:05 PM

I have housed several over the years. There are several species which go under the common name blue dot toby puffer, but most of them look similar and involve the same care. I currently house one with a bunch of fish: an Indian Trigger, Onespot Foxface, Dogface Puffer, Pinkface Wrasse, Harlequin Tusk, Flame Hawk, and Yellow Tail Damsel.

Usually, most fish leave toby puffers alone because they can tell from the shape and markings of the toby that it is poisenous to eat. As such, I am able to house this 3 inch puffer with a bunch of larger and more aggressive fish without incident. It is a very colorful and personable fish who is inquisitive and eats well. It is usually out and about, but it also likes to chill out under an overhang. It never picks on any tankmates, but I am not sure whether it would be attracted to the fins of the lionfish and start to nip at them. The other concern I would have for you would be if the lionfish or betta decided to eat the toby puffer. It would likely result in the death of both fish. I am not sure whether this could be a problem or not and best to ask those who are more experienced in keeping lionfish and bettas. Overall, one of my favorite fowlr fish.

DoubleM 10 10/12/2010 03:21 PM

Well thank u Stuart. The lion is about 4.5 in or so and the betta including fins is a little bigger. I like the puffer but don't know enough about them. I have also read that they might be a little harder to get to eat prepared food. I also want to make sure that that the other fish won't bother him or him bother others. He looks great. The one at the store comes up to the tank and I don't feed him so I can see they are personal. I just want my tank to be peaceful and have a veriety at the same time. A puffer would be a nice addition but I want to make sure that it could work. Thanks for the fast reply. Any lion experts out their? Thanks in advanced anyone

Stuart60611 10/12/2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleM 10 (Post 17775161)
Well thank u Stuart. The lion is about 4.5 in or so and the betta including fins is a little bigger. I like the puffer but don't know enough about them. I have also read that they might be a little harder to get to eat prepared food. I also want to make sure that that the other fish won't bother him or him bother others. He looks great. The one at the store comes up to the tank and I don't feed him so I can see they are personal. I just want my tank to be peaceful and have a veriety at the same time. A puffer would be a nice addition but I want to make sure that it could work. Thanks for the fast reply. Any lion experts out their? Thanks in advanced anyone

Your welcome. You will have absolutely no problem geting the toby to eat prepared and for that matter every kind of food you offer. They love to eat and are not picky at all. with each of the several I have kept, the toby accepted food within minutes of being placed in my system. They will eat all kinds of meaty seafood, pellets, flake and even macro algae. As far as the size of the lionfish and betta, I know that these fish will try to eat fish of nearly their size so if they find the toby appetizing they will definitely try to eat it. The question is whether they would be at all interested in a toby puffer which I just do not know the answer.

namxas 10/12/2010 03:28 PM

I kept a blue-spotted toby with a fuzzy way back when with no issues.

To be honest, I can't imagine a fuzzy trying out a toby assuming they're close to the same size.

DoubleM 10 10/12/2010 03:30 PM

Well I'm in the same boat. I have never Seen either of them attack smaller damsels or a coral beauty that is in the tank with them: they have been housed together now about a month or 2. I have had the lion for a bit. He is not getting any bigger. I have another fuzzy in another tank that grew to a beastly size. I decided to leave the big one in the smaller tank. Long story or that but he is very passive for a lion IMO. Not like u said who knows. If anyone has house a fuzzy and a puffer that would be great let me know how it worked and what happened.

DoubleM 10 10/12/2010 03:32 PM

Hey naxmas not to get off subject I just found a d. Barberi. !! I purchased him. He is about the size of a dime maybe a lil bigger. So your blue spot puffer never bother the lion? And vice versa?

namxas 10/12/2010 04:14 PM

Nope...but my SFE DID grab the puffer. It inflated, but had a hole torn in its side and died.

VERY cool on the barberi! Ours was SO cute at that size!

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...mewings700.jpg

She was always a spunky little girl, and was just a pretty little fish. She's still one of my faves out of all of our fish.

DoubleM 10 10/12/2010 04:20 PM

well i was gonna get a SFE. i have decided not to. i have heard to many stories about when they get bigger. i dont want to have to take a fish back lol. i like the puffer the LFS has one an im gonna pick it up in the next few days assuming nobody buys it lol. yeah ym barberi is about the size like the one in the pic. lol