Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   LPS Keepers (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=332)
-   -   Elegance Questions. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2663593)

cwschoon 01/06/2018 01:58 PM

Elegance Questions.

Who keeps Elegance coral? I got a nice Aussie and am a bit conflicted as to placement and flow. Right now, I have it 1/2 way up on rock near the side away from my gyre, which is on the other side. I ask, because it closed yesterday and has not opened up much since. I do realize that this may be normal but am considering moving it to the sand bed, where it will get less light and flow.
My tank is a mixed 120 and everything else looks great.

rogersb 01/06/2018 03:24 PM

I always kept mine on the sand bed. The tissue was so large I would have been worried it would get cut on the rocks.

saf1 01/06/2018 10:47 PM

What @rogersb said. They prefer soft substrate. If yours does well it will expand easily during the day so the potential to sting nearby corals is high. Great coral. Not a beginner coral by any means. Great coral though.

cwschoon 01/06/2018 10:56 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't see how mine would prefer a "soft" substrate, as the skeleton is easily 3 or 4 inches long but I a considering gluing it to a thin rock and placing it on the sand bed. Interestingly, only my blues are on now and it seems to be coming out.
Thanks for the replies.

saf1 01/06/2018 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwschoon (Post 25324079)
Thanks for the info. I don't see how mine would prefer a "soft" substrate, as the skeleton is easily 3 or 4 inches long but I a considering gluing it to a thin rock and placing it on the sand bed. Interestingly, only my blues are on now and it seems to be coming out.
Thanks for the replies.

Not so much that "your" elegance prefers a soft substrate but rather the location they come from in the wild. Elegance corals are usually buried in soft substrates, dirtier water, or muddy I guess. This is a coral that does not like zero parameter or sterile / SPS quality water. I am by no means an expert but that is what I remember anyway with mine.

cwschoon 01/06/2018 11:28 PM

...which was my point....the location is what seems to be important.

KarenLR75 01/07/2018 01:16 AM

Mine has thrived on the sand bed. It is at the opposite end of the tank from our gyre but does get moderate flow. I also have allowed a large perimeter around it for its protection and protection of future corals we may get.

It seems to be thriving. I was concerned when we first got it and after a few days it closed up/looked funny...so I posted in General Discussion area I think..that's when I found out what I had purchased..lol. I'lll try to paste the link to it here as it has pics of it closed up/acting funny and open/happy..

I've been asked for updates on it which I posted recently. The most recent picture does NOT do it justice. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2650612 Also in this thread is a pic of another member's Elegance coral which is HUGE & GORGEOUS. I was amazed at how big it could get so you may want to keep that in mind too.

It is the coral that every single person who looks at our tank asks about. Our tanks are close in size (ours is a bit smaller)..we have a 112 gallon mixed reef tank.

cwschoon 01/07/2018 09:23 AM

I have read all of the articles that I could find and I am going to glue the elegance to a thin rock and place it on the sand bed, where it will get good light and more moderate flow.

eder10986 01/07/2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwschoon (Post 25324288)
I have read all of the articles that I could find and I am going to glue the elegance to a thin rock and place it on the sand bed, where it will get good light and more moderate flow.

Good choice. Ours loves the sandbed

KarenLR75 01/07/2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwschoon (Post 25324288)

Awesome! Let us know how it turns out. Love seeing pics too if/when you get some.

Randyz 01/22/2018 07:40 PM

They also like low/medium flow otherwise mine tends to recede