Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals & Builds (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=679)
-   -   Newb Bought a 210 gallon and have never Reef'ed b4... (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2666489)

Skep18 02/02/2018 07:54 PM

Newb Bought a 210 gallon and have never Reef'ed b4...

Hey. Just posting here as after some time thinking and talking it over with the SO, I've decided to go ahead and get a saltwater tank going. Not wanting a house full of equipment and tanks from which I would upgrade from, I just went all in and bought the bigger tank that I expect to remain happy with.

I'm not completely new to either aquariums or salt water. I used to have smaller tanks some 10+ years ago. I stopped at a 45 gallon puffer tank where I had 3 figure 8 puffers in brackish water IIRC. Also, while in college I briefly worked at a LFS which sold livestock and supplies as well as serviced tanks locally. I didn't know then I would one day be interested in saltwater but nonetheless, I do have some learning experiences from that.

All in all, I ordered a 210 gallon tank from Custom Aquariums (aka Lifetime Aquariums [i think?]). It's going to take a few months to deliver, which is OK as I am definitely not in a hurry on this. I have been doing a ton of reading and have reached a lot of "Ah-hah" moments only to later be revised to, "Wait, what???" thoughts. Seems like the more I learn the more I find out is a common misconception or has no consensus.

Anyways, I thought I would start this and post info as I go on. Hopefully if I do something stupid, someone with experience can jump in and tell me before I get too far.

Skep18 02/02/2018 07:54 PM

Reserved.

Skep18 02/02/2018 08:05 PM

The tank I've ordered is 72"L x 24"W x 30"H. It's the Lifetime Aquarium deal with the anodized aluminum bracing. Front and sides are the "ultra clear" glass. Made the front and bottom glass a size up in thickness for my peace of mind. Its being drilled for two Synergy 16" Shadow overflows.

Each overflow advertises a 1500gph capacity for a total overflow of 3000gph. This should be able to keep up with the (what seems to be) common adage of 5-10x tank volume through the sump per hour. My thinking was also to get higher overflow capacity than I would need in hopes that it will keep up if it gets a little dirty as well as using less than max capacity should keep it more quiet. We shall see though. Ultimately I didn't want to come up short in overflow capacity. Being relatively handy with a personal workshop, I wouldn't mind drilling anything myself nor am I intimidated by it but I will admit, at the cost of this tank, I sure didn't want to be cheap and risk anything. That as well as they don't honor their lifetime warranty if you drill the tank yourself.

On that note, I did buy the steel powder coated stand to go with it. I expect to finish the outside to match my home cabinetry, but that will wait until I make sure the system works as to not have me revise it later and thus cut again into the cabinetry.

AiKkz 02/05/2018 07:13 AM

Looking forward to seeing this build in progress.

jpas 02/06/2018 01:38 PM

Should be a great setup! I am in the process of setting up a Lifetime Aquarium 96"x30"x30" The tank is absolutely beautiful.

Best of luck with the build!

AiKkz 02/07/2018 09:22 AM

Nice i'm getting a similar tank from them. 72x36x24 deep dimension.

jpas 02/07/2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AiKkz (Post 25355043)
Nice i'm getting a similar tank from them. 72x36x24 deep dimension.

They are great to work with, the build quality is second to none. My brother also had them make a 300 gallon tank and stand.

They also have some interesting anti siphon return nozzles that I am going to try out.

roberthu526 02/28/2018 09:03 PM

Keep us updated please. Looking forward to seeing the tank. I am actually planning on buying a 300G from them. But I am going to build the stand on my own to custom fit my hobby room.
Quick question if you don't mind: did the anodized aluminum bracing come standard or did you add money for it?

Thanks in advance.

Skep18 03/04/2018 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roberthu526 (Post 25377354)
Keep us updated please. Looking forward to seeing the tank. I am actually planning on buying a 300G from them. But I am going to build the stand on my own to custom fit my hobby room.
Quick question if you don't mind: did the anodized aluminum bracing come standard or did you add money for it?

Thanks in advance.

Comes with all lifetime aquariums. I had the same question. Obviously rimless tanks will not have a top brace but the bottom should still be anodized aluminum.

swimsree 03/06/2018 09:28 PM

Is the Anodized aluminum bracing for support or just for the looks?

Thanks!

Skep18 03/12/2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimsree (Post 25382648)
Is the Anodized aluminum bracing for support or just for the looks?

Thanks!

Support. They have a good video on their tank features. They say not only is it real bracing compared to the typical plastic attire but theplatic will age and fatigue/fail over time.