Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Cycling, quarantine tank, lightening, clean up crew (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1988075)

sanechka2005 03/08/2011 06:24 AM

Cycling, quarantine tank, lightening, clean up crew

Hello everybody,
I am new to this forum and hobby. I am planning to have reef tank with some softies for now, and with some high light corals in future. I've got 46 g bowfront fish tank wirh 4t5 lightening ( 36'' long, 39 w each, 2 dual bulbs GLO fixtures, Actinic+ darkblue 22 000 K, and Aquablue+ blue/white 15 000 K .)What can I have in my tank with this type of lightening? What are my options for upgrading?( for future)

I set up filter ( Aqua Clear 70) and Scimmer ( Rimora with 1200 maxi jet), I put 65 pounds of cured live rocks and about 2 inches of life sand . So, now its cycling ( 3rd day)

1)I have question about lightening schedule. Do I have to turn on my lights every day now ( while there are only life rocks in the tank). If yes, how many hours its supposed to be? And which light ( day and moon) and what time should I run them? And what is the lightening schedule is going to be after my tank is fully cycled?

2) Also, do I need to change water while the tank is cycling...If yes, how many times and what percentage of the water should I change?

3) What is the best clean up crew for 46 g? I need to know that since I will put them there in couple of weeks.

4) I am going to set up 10 g quarantine tank. So, what do I need for that?
I've heard that I would need to put 5-10 pounds of live rock?
-So, do I need to cycle the quarantine tank? Is it the same 4-6 weeks ?
- Do I need to add sand there?
- What type of filter is the best for QT?
- Should I use water from the main tank?
-Do i need to put powerheads there for moving water?

Thank you very much ;) I appreciate your help and your responses would be very helpful ;)

Thank you
Alexandra

funkejj 03/08/2011 09:09 AM

Lights, this can only be answered by what you are wanting to keep in the tank. Lighting schedule during the cycle I did not run my lights at all. Things were fine, If you want to see the inside of your tank to see the life on the rock then by all means fire them up but your lights do not need to be on during the cycle.

you will do your first water change when the cycle is done I did a 20% change.

Clean up crews. Every one has their own opinion about this. I did not add a CUC until I had algae and stuff for them to eat so no one would go hungry.

For a QT tank it needs to be a tank with no substrate, no rock, just some PVC fittings for the fish to hide in. Do need a light per say but if you get one just a cheapie light. Get a Hang on back filter and a small power head pointed up enough to cause rippling on the water. And do a 10% water change a day.