Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mantis Shrimp (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Best bet in finding large Mantis? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2549991)

Cwerner92 01/06/2016 10:31 PM

Best bet in finding large Mantis?

Hi all I have a 36g set up with a smaller chiagra in it and I really would love to find a larger species for the space.

Any suggestions on where I can find some decently priced Mantis, ideally large smashers, I've looked around and the cheapest I can find is in the hundreds not including shipping. I'm located in North Florida so if anyone has any store suggestions or online websites (that won't kill me on shipping) that sell these guys let me know. Thanks & happy New Year!

Kharn 01/07/2016 12:12 AM

There is only 1 large smasher suitable for an aquarium.

O.scyllarus @ 180mm
next biggest is G.tern @ 125mm (not recommended species)
then G.chiragra @ 105mm

nmotz 01/07/2016 11:45 AM

I would recommend buying a smaller O. Scyllarus and raising it (they get to nearly 7"). You can find them on ibluewater or blue zoo aquatics a lot. But they are always going to be pretty expensive (maybe $125-150 w/ shipping) I have seen some Peacocks on LiveAquaria's Diver's Den but they always go really fast and they usually run about $100 with shipping. Just save up, and while you're saving you should prepare your tank because with that kind of investment you'll want your mantis to live a long time. Ask questions/watch videos, etc. Best of luck!

Jlentz 01/07/2016 12:29 PM

I asked my LFS and he got me one.

nmotz 01/07/2016 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlentz (Post 24236117)
I asked my LFS and he got me one.

The only caveat I'll add here is that many LFS owners are not very knowledgeable about mantis shrimp. You might ask for a Peacock, but get some completely different species. It happens to lots of people. My first mantis was sold to me as a Peacock but was actually a G. Chiragra.

Having said that, if you have a good LFS that you trust, Jlents is right that you might be able to get a Peacock for cheaper than the online prices.

Jlentz 01/08/2016 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmotz (Post 24236583)
The only caveat I'll add here is that many LFS owners are not very knowledgeable about mantis shrimp. You might ask for a Peacock, but get some completely different species. It happens to lots of people. My first mantis was sold to me as a Peacock but was actually a G. Chiragra.

Having said that, if you have a good LFS that you trust, Jlents is right that you might be able to get a Peacock for cheaper than the online prices.

Lol. That's not the half of it. The distributors can't even tell them apart more than "zebra" and "peacock". I was driving my guy nuts.

I was trying to get a smithii and they kept coming labeled as peacocks. They see mostly in bad shape too until my lfs owner went in person. (Vegas is nicely located for that, and frankly when the really good stuff comes in it was hand picked.

When I finally got my peacock I think it was $20.

Jlentz 01/08/2016 02:26 AM

My lfs owner is great btw.

nmotz 01/08/2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlentz (Post 24237722)

When I finally got my peacock I think it was $20.

That is a great deal. Sounds like a good LFS to me!

Martini5788 01/08/2016 09:05 PM

Yeah seriously. I wish I could find one for $50, let alone 20. That's crazy.